Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What election issue is most important to you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What election issue is most important to you?

• Healthcare
    • 2 Wars
    • Jobs/Economy
    • Education
    • Deficit
    • Gulf Oil Spill
    • Ground Zero Mosque
    • Immigration
    • Gay Marriage
    • Government Spending
    • Abortion
    • Other

They were philibuster proof what about it was amazing?

If they're "filibuster" proof then why waste money and time fighting it!

They were philibuster proof what about it was amazing?

First of all, it's filibuster. Secondly, when healthcare was passed the democrats only had 57 democrats and 2 independents. Not a filibuster proof majority. You're forgetting Mr. Nude Centerfold -a/k/a/ Senator 41, a/k/a Scott Brown.

Ariscus, the point is that we've known for decades that something needed to be done about the lousy rotting health care system. Nobody has been able to get serious alternatives discussed and carried out until now.

The Republicans should be embarrassed that they have been so obviously in the pockets of the insurance and pharmaceutical lobbies. They fought the Democrats hard without making any real attempt to solve the issues.

Some even went so far as to mock the president in a very public (televised) forum which was simply an effort to sway public sentiment. Those rolling eyed Republicans knew better but they did it for effect anyway. Just like the Rush Limbaughs and Glenn Becks do everyday.

A new poll just showed that 71% of American receive Social Security, medicare, medicaid or unemployment. These programs are popular as is government money for education, infrastructure and helping the poor (the rest of the poll showed). This is the so called big government that the tea partiers rail against.

So, I wonder how many of these people will vote for the "smaller government" the republicans are promising which would require reducing or eliminating these programs?

We KNOW what the Republicans will do - what they say they will do is not always what they actually do. But we've seen them in action. For many years they've made decisions resulting in cutting environmental considerations, education programs, cutting tax on the wealthy, giving tax incentives to corporations who perform badly with those incentives, and providing no help whatsoever in increasing jobs, or giving consideration to the middle class. They've created no disincentives to corporations for taking jobs overseas. They've even allowed them to do business overseas in order to avoid any taxes to the U.S.

The government's job is to oversee and incentivize ALL Americans not just the wealthy. This discrimination against the working class has to stop. This president and the majority in congress want to try something new and different - making the wealthy individuals and corporations pay to right this listing ship, which actually could sink.

The wealthy have had their long run of power. Now it's time for the people to have a go at it. So far, the wealthy haven't been hurt by this administration. In fact, in some cases they've actually been helped. Now lets cut to the chase and make these folks who have been sucking this country dry, step up to the plate and put some of their massive profits back into the American economy. How in the world anybody could see it any other way is completely astounding.

BJean - there is plenty of money being made out there - even in this recession - and it is the wealthy getting richer. The middle class has lost trillions in the decade of decline that took place during the bush years. They lost earning power and the value of their retirement, 401k, savings,investments and homes all went down.

The republicans voted against every job bill even the most recent to help small businesses (which they are always yapping about). They voted against a bill that would have helped keep jobs here and not be shipped overseas.

From the moment Obama was elected they weren't interested in building up American - they just wanted to tear down Obama. The sad part is that they are going to take the rest of us down with them.

It looked like Newt thought he'd been out of the limelight long enough so that he could come back and no one would remember all the horrible things he did. We were afraid he was going to keep his yap shut and he might get elected to something. Looks like we don't have to worry about that.

Christine is hilarious. If she has a constituency that takes her seriously enough to vote for her as their official in congress, then it seems that they have some questionable personal issues themselves.

She has that same "cat ate the canary" grin and attitude that Ms. Palin has. Actually though, I'm not sure which one is less trustworthy. Palin is certainly meaner.

Heres what I dont understand about dems. I just heard Chris Coons(and Ive heard a few other dems say they want to extend) on CNN say he would vote to extend the Bush tax cuts! He said the term would be the issue. So its either a good Idea or it isnt! Dems were against the idea up until recently. Are they caving to rep pressure. Theyre also distancing themselves from Pelosi and even Obama in some cases. Whats going on, Im so confused again!

loserbob, you're not really that naive. I know you can't be. It's all about personal income... the income a congressman stands to make from the billionaires crossing their palms with cash for their vote. This money machine is certainly something that affects Democrats and Republicans alike. Although some Democrats and a very few Republicans aren't corrupted to the same extent that most are.

If we, the people who vote, make it uncomfortable enough for our elected officials, they will probably not cave in to the corporate money that is constantly waved in their faces.

The tea party movement (doubtless funded initially by wealthy right wing interests) can get the kind of attention they have in the media, then progressives and left wingers could if they wanted to as well. We just don't do it. Although Jon Stewart has a plan to at least show up in Washington and we should all be going to that and raising our own fists in rage against the machine.

Heres what I dont understand about dems. I just heard Chris Coons(and Ive heard a few other dems say they want to extend) on CNN say he would vote to extend the Bush tax cuts! He said the term would be the issue. So its either a good Idea or it isnt! Dems were against the idea up until recently. Are they caving to rep pressure. Theyre also distancing themselves from Pelosi and even Obama in some cases. Whats going on, Im so confused again!

These democrats are cowards and there are plenty of them. They know that if they don't support the bush tax cuts for all, their opponents will say they want to raise your taxes. That simple message alone scares them. Republicans have made taxes a scary issue when in fact people pay far fewer federal taxes than most developed countries. And the taxes for 95% of working Americans have gone down under Obama.

There are also some cowardly democrats who will run from the Obama accomplishments. TARP, the stimulus and the car bailout were all successes as well as healthcare - they all did what they set out to do. Money has been paid back and unemployment would have been 11% without the stimulus. It is hard to run on "what if", though.

There are a few brave democrats who are actually running on their support for the stimulus and healthcare but they are probably in safe districts. It's all about winning elections.

If Democratic voters were more vocal and let people know they support this administration and congressional actions, then there wouldn't be so much hype going on about the tea party and how much power they have. As it is, that's about all we really hear everyday in the media. And yeah, it's worked in some states and I can understand Dems running scared. But it doesn't have to be that way.

For instance, one of my neighbors has a sign up for the Demo who's running for governor. ONE neighbor. There are several signs for the Republican incumbent. I'm intimidated and won't put up a sign in my yard. And I'll bet there are lots of others too.

But our governor has been a complete disaster and totally in the pocket of big business. But the tea party and conservatives still back him because they think he's cool for talking about seceding from the union and swapping evolution science with creationism in textbooks. And those folks are very outspoken and whipped into a frenzy by the media which makes them scary. Democrats may stay home rather than vote for a guy they think is going to lose. Nobody likes to vote for a loser. Which is bad thinking, especially this year.

Edited by BJean

Cleo's I think the reason Democrats aren't tracking better is because they are so disappointed. We have control of the House, the Senate and the Presidential office. Why haven't we been able to make the changes that the Democratic presidential candidate Obama promised? And why haven't the Democrats been better at selling health care reform to the public? Why aren't we getting ready to put universal health care into effect instead of having to use time and resources to quash the republican efforts to repeal the health care bill? Why is there any doubt that getting rid of the tax breaks to the wealthy is the right thing to do?

Why is the president still campaigning instead of leading? Why is he always on the defensive instead of inspiring everyone to vote for the changes that we need?

The bottom line is that we've allowed the republicans to once again get their incorrect message accepted and embraced by way too many Americans. We just don't seem to be able to sell Americans on a better and fairer way of life.

Americans have been scared to death and they are irrational. Democrats don't seem to be able to make the case for sanity and peace. I, for one, am very disillusioned and depressed. Like many other voters, I may never be stupid enough to vote for someone like Christine whazername in Delaware, but I just might not vote at all out of frustration. That's why the republicans can win in November and that's why they may win in the next presidential election. Much to the detriment of America.

BJean, I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I myself am an Independent voter so don't take this as a vote for the otherside, however...

If the message the Republican party is sending is causing Americans to "Embrace" it, all the while Democrats are being "disillusioned and Depressed" by their own party, then perhaps the direction that the nation should go is in the direction of the party that can garner the most votes...but then, thats the way it always goes, isn't it.

Well in my little corner of NM the republicans are out in force voting.

I began working early voting in this election on the 5th of October. So far we have been open from 7 AM to 5:30 PM M-F. We start Saturdays this week, and will then do M-F from 7 AM to 8 PM. And there will be 4 other polling places opening up for early voting as well.

So today was day 8, and when I left at the end of my shift, we had voted over 1000 people so far.

The republicans come in loud and vociferous!!! We have them begging to work the election. On the other hand, I am in high demand as a working democrat, and the ones I have approached about working, seem almost scared to admit being Dem.!!!

It has not been fun working this election let me tell you! I have to remain civil, no matter the crap said, and some of it being said by co-workers and county workers.....

I read and follow, and wonder how anyone can seriously blame all that is wrong on ONLY the democrats, like it all happened in the recent months----like it was not years in the downslide.

I just wanted to say thanks for making me feel less alone!!!

And Kartman, WTG---you have done awesome! I cannot run, I have a tumor in my leg, and the bone will not support the stress, but I would LOVE to! Keep up the awesome job!!!