Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What election issue is most important to you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What election issue is most important to you?

• Healthcare
    • 2 Wars
    • Jobs/Economy
    • Education
    • Deficit
    • Gulf Oil Spill
    • Ground Zero Mosque
    • Immigration
    • Gay Marriage
    • Government Spending
    • Abortion
    • Other

From Gallup.

GOP Takes Unprecedented 10-Point Lead on Generic Ballot

August 30, 2010

PRINCETON, NJ -- Republicans lead by 51% to 41% among registered voters in Gallup weekly tracking of 2010 congressional voting preferences. The 10-percentage-point lead is the GOP's largest so far this year and is its largest in Gallup's history of tracking the midterm generic ballot for Congress.

These results are based on aggregated data from registered voters surveyed Aug. 23-29 as part of Gallup Daily tracking. This marks the fifth week in a row in which Republicans have held an advantage over Democrats -- one that has ranged between 3 and 10 points.

If republicans take over and control congress then they will own the problems. And as I've said before, I will be more patient than they were with Pres. Obama and give them to Feb. 1, 2011 to create 8 million jobs.

Ah, what a difference a week makes. :blushing:

Republicans and Democrats are tied at 46% among registered voters in Gallup’s weekly tracking of congressional voting preferences, marking a shift after five consecutive weeks in which the Republicans held the advantage.

nmnmnmnmnmnmnmnnm.gif

Cleo's I think the reason Democrats aren't tracking better is because they are so disappointed. We have control of the House, the Senate and the Presidential office. Why haven't we been able to make the changes that the Democratic presidential candidate Obama promised? And why haven't the Democrats been better at selling health care reform to the public? Why aren't we getting ready to put universal health care into effect instead of having to use time and resources to quash the republican efforts to repeal the health care bill? Why is there any doubt that getting rid of the tax breaks to the wealthy is the right thing to do?

Why is the president still campaigning instead of leading? Why is he always on the defensive instead of inspiring everyone to vote for the changes that we need?

The bottom line is that we've allowed the republicans to once again get their incorrect message accepted and embraced by way too many Americans. We just don't seem to be able to sell Americans on a better and fairer way of life.

Americans have been scared to death and they are irrational. Democrats don't seem to be able to make the case for sanity and peace. I, for one, am very disillusioned and depressed. Like many other voters, I may never be stupid enough to vote for someone like Christine whazername in Delaware, but I just might not vote at all out of frustration. That's why the republicans can win in November and that's why they may win in the next presidential election. Much to the detriment of America.

To not vote is to let someone else, and in this election that would be the extremist voters, decide for you. I would never, ever, not vote and give that power to someone else and you shouldn't either BJean.

Those elected officials who call themselves democrats do not share one brain like the Republicans do. They are a diverse lot and frankly I don't like the ones who don't support the democratic agenda. Like Nelson, Landrieu, Bayh, Lieberman, and so many others. We never had 60 real democrats in the senate and the senate is where all the problems have been. Under the great leadership of Nancy Pelosi, the house has passed everything on the democratic agenda.

And then it goes to the senate where the real problems would begin. There were 58 democrats and 2 independents who caucus with the democrats. But several of those democrats don't vote like democrats and when the republicans filibuster time and time again - breaking records for these sessions of the senate - and it takes 60 votes to break a filibuster the numbers don't add up to get things done. To get things done we need like 70 democrats so that 60 of them would be real democrats and not DINOs. So blame it on the republicans and those blue dog democrats. I don't think Harry Reid has been as effective leader as I would have liked. He has the power to keep them in line and he hasn't used it. The republican leadership sure does. Do you remember that poor republican congressman from the south - he's Asian - I forget his name - and he voted for the healthcare bill and the republican leadership was ready to crucify him. But he said his constituents needed it. The republicans don't let republicans stray from their message/agenda.

I think Pres. Obama has been very effective recently in his fired up speeches but I think he should have been doing this all year. I think he should have been pushing the benefits of the healthcare bill and debunking all the myths out there.

But the coward democrats are running away from the healthcare message because polls show it's unpopular. Of course it's unpopular with those who have insurance because they are selfish and don't want anyone else to have what they have because they think they deserve it and no one else does. And they are ready to believe all the lies.

I am in campaign mode now and have been doing phone banking for local and state candidates. I have several letters to the editor written, too. I will never give up the fight for middle class America who is being pushed further and further down the economic ladder by the rich who are getting richer. That's who the republicans stand with and for.

On a personal note: My second grandson was born last week. He is a doll baby and has a head full of blonde hair - the first baby in my family that had hair before age 2. LOL.

I was only trying to make a point. I have never not voted. Don't believe in it. I can't understand people who don't vote and who don't have an opinion.

I am surrounded with people who are just saying "throw the bums out!" They don't seem to remember what it was like under republican rule. They don't seem to understand that they will only be replacing "bums" with other "bums." It's the system that needs changing. And that's not likely to happen. So they should stop listening to the republicans who are saying and doing anything to make this president and this congress look bad so they have a chance to get elected in Nov.

And I'm very frustrated that the Democratic "machine" isn't better at standing by their convictions and doing what is right for this country and spreading the good word in a more convincing way.

The president is a good speaker, an intelligent man, a man who is doing all he can to improve the nation. But he needs to do something different to shake things up. Are you going to Washington at the end of the month for the Stewart/Cobert rally?

Big hearty congratulations on your new grandbaby!!! Blond hair. How cute! They look especially sweet when they have hair. I'm very happy for your latest addition to the family.

Big hearty congratulations on your new grandbaby!!! Blond hair. How cute! They look especially sweet when they have hair. I'm very happy for your latest addition to the family.

Thanks, BJean. I now have a 4 month old grandson and a 5 day old grandson. I hope they grow up to be good friends as well as cousins. I got out my husband's baby picture and my newest grandson has his hair. Now each grandson has something from my husband (the 4 month old has his dimples and he sneezes when he looks at the sun just like my husband did).

Hey folks, I’ve been away for a while. It seems as if some of the same folks are still around (except patty). I got frustrated arguing with the same 1-2 people here about the same issues. I am still passionate about politics and am really concerned with the direction the Tea Party whackos and the Fox enablers are taking us in. I’m not happy with everything Obama has done (mostly because he didn’t go far enough) but I know it would have been much worse without him and will be disasterous if the Republicans take over the congress. While I have not been here arguing the issues, I am doing what I can elsewhere to get the word out.

Aside from politics, I have been loving being the new me. I am hovering at my weight goal and don’t concern myself with calorie counting anymore. I have a new passion for bike riding (I am doing a 62.5 mile endurance ride this weekend) and am in training to participate in a Triathlon in the spring.

There was a vote on a bill that would address the issue of companies shipping jobs overseas. The republicans and some of those so-called democrats (to which I referred earlier) voted against it. Does anyone still have any doubts that the republicans stand with big corporate america and against middle class, working america?

XML U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 111th Congress - 2nd Session

as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate

Vote Summary

Question: On the Cloture Motion (Motion to Invoke Cloture on the Motion to Proceed to S. 3816 ) Vote Number: 242Vote Date: September 28, 2010, 11:31 AMRequired For Majority: 3/5Vote Result: Cloture Motion RejectedMeasure Number: S. 3816 (Creating American Jobs and Ending Offshoring Act )Measure Title: A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to create American jobs and to prevent the offshoring of such jobs overseas.Vote Counts:YEAs53NAYs45Not Voting2Vote Summary By Senator Name By Vote Position By Home Statehoriz_content_break.gif

Alphabetical by Senator Name Akaka (D-HI), Yea

Alexander (R-TN), Nay

Barrasso (R-WY), Nay

Baucus (D-MT), Nay

Bayh (D-IN), Yea

Begich (D-AK), Yea

Bennet (D-CO), Yea

Bennett (R-UT), Nay

Bingaman (D-NM), Yea

Bond (R-MO), Nay

Boxer (D-CA), Yea

Brown (D-OH), Yea

Brown (R-MA), Nay

Brownback (R-KS), Nay

Bunning (R-KY), Nay

Burr (R-NC), Nay

Burris (D-IL), Yea

Cantwell (D-WA), Yea

Cardin (D-MD), Yea

Carper (D-DE), Yea

Casey (D-PA), Yea

Chambliss (R-GA), Nay

Coburn (R-OK), Nay

Cochran (R-MS), Nay

Collins (R-ME), Nay

Conrad (D-ND), Yea

Corker (R-TN), Nay

Cornyn (R-TX), Nay

Crapo (R-ID), Nay

DeMint (R-SC), Nay

Dodd (D-CT), Yea

Dorgan (D-ND), Yea

Durbin (D-IL), Yea

Ensign (R-NV), Nay

Enzi (R-WY), Nay

Feingold (D-WI), Yea

Feinstein (D-CA), Yea

Franken (D-MN), Yea

Gillibrand (D-NY), Yea

Goodwin (D-WV), Yea

Graham (R-SC), Nay

Grassley (R-IA), Nay

Gregg (R-NH), Nay

Hagan (D-NC), Yea

Harkin (D-IA), Yea

Hatch (R-UT), Nay

Hutchison (R-TX), Nay

Inhofe (R-OK), Nay

Inouye (D-HI), Yea

Isakson (R-GA), Nay

Johanns (R-NE), Nay

Johnson (D-SD), Yea

Kaufman (D-DE), Yea

Kerry (D-MA), Yea

Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea

Kohl (D-WI), Yea

Kyl (R-AZ), Nay

Landrieu (D-LA), Yea

Lautenberg (D-NJ), Yea

Leahy (D-VT), Yea

LeMieux (R-FL), Nay

Levin (D-MI), Yea

Lieberman (ID-CT), Nay

Lincoln (D-AR), Not Voting

Lugar (R-IN), Nay

McCain (R-AZ), Nay

McCaskill (D-MO), Yea

McConnell (R-KY), Nay

Menendez (D-NJ), Yea

Merkley (D-OR), Yea

Mikulski (D-MD), Yea

Murkowski (R-AK), Not Voting

Murray (D-WA), Yea

Nelson (D-FL), Yea

Nelson (D-NE), Nay

Pryor (D-AR), Yea

Reed (D-RI), Yea

Reid (D-NV), Yea

Risch (R-ID), Nay

Roberts (R-KS), Nay

Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea

Sanders (I-VT), Yea

Schumer (D-NY), Yea

Sessions (R-AL), Nay

Shaheen (D-NH), Yea

Shelby (R-AL), Nay

Snowe (R-ME), Nay

Specter (D-PA), Yea

Stabenow (D-MI), Yea

Tester (D-MT), Nay

Thune (R-SD), Nay

Udall (D-CO), Yea

Udall (D-NM), Yea

Vitter (R-LA), Nay

Voinovich (R-OH), Nay

Warner (D-VA), Nay

Webb (D-VA), Yea

Whitehouse (D-RI), Yea

Wicker (R-MS), Nay

Wyden (D-OR), Yea

Remember when McCain said that if elected "we would know them by their names" (those who voted for earmarks) - well here we will know those by name who protect big corporations and tell americans who lost their job that was shipped overseas to just go on unemployment. Oh, wait, they voted against that too.

Edited by Cleo's Mom

kartman!!! You are awesome! I am bowled over by your incredible progress! 13% body fat?! Amazing. Congratulations! We've missed you but omg, you've been a busy boy! I'm doing the happy dance for you.

Cleo's latest post about the Cloture Motion vote should make us want to begin our own movement to tell it like it is instead of watching people get sucked in by the idea of the tea party.

Glad you're back, kartman. And I'm glad that we have Cleo's to bring things like this to our attention and to help keep it real.

Good luck on your spring Triathalon! Make us proud.

It is so hard to just pick one choice in the poll. We are so messed up in so many ways right now. I think jobs are the most important on my personal list right now.

My grown son has been unemployed for months now. My husband's and my jobs are hanging by a thread. So, jobs it is for the poll.

Hey, Kartman, welcome back. I always enjoy your posts. Great job with your weight loss and running. One of the many criteria for dividing people into two camps would be runners and non-runner. Put me squarely in the non-running camp and in awe of those who run. Good luck with the Triathlon.