Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can you have ice cream after surgery...and does it have to be sugar free?

When can you have ice cream after surgery...and does it have to be sugar free?

You are not supposed to have ice cream.

Ice cream is liquid carbs and calories and totally goes against what the whole point of the surgery is. YOu will not lose weight if you are letting ice cream go down. Remember just because you can does not mean you should. Stick to the plan yor nutritionist sets for you. Change your eating habits because you and the band need to work together.

what about sugar free fruit pops????

my taste buds totally changed after surgery! I don't really care that much about the ice cream anymore....i find this to be so helpful :thumbup: hehe

oh come on guys!

True ice cream is "liquid carbs" but geeze, I didn't get the band to zero out everything in my life. It is a moderation tool. Ice cream on the other hand is a "slider food" and usually won't hang there to keep you satisfied.

But geez a small cup every once in a while and not everyday is not bad and its summer time.

Although I usually get the Breyers Low carb almond crunch bars but if you are still early in, a smooth ice cream won't kill you.

And every now and then, and I stress rarely, Dairy Queen does the trick for me.

I have lost 60lbs since my surgery in January.

I also eat a couple of spoonfuls of frozen coolwhip...its even lower in calories and carbs(though the hydrogenated oil is prob not good for anyone) but I do get the light kind, hoping that helps. Two spoons is like 25 calories.

my hubby and I stop at DQ once in a blue moon and they have a new mini size....its perfect for the ocassional treat. and I don't even finish it all....i find that high fat/high sugar foods gets all clumped up and makes me so sick feeling...

Ice cream is something you can eat any time and in any quantity you like as it is liquid and goes right through the band. But why would you want to do that?

The point of getting the band is to let it help restrict your calories so you will have to eat foods that do not slide right through.

Eating an occasional treat, ice cream or any other treat, is something you can chose to do. Just be aware you are chosing it, know what impact it will have on your calorie intake, and plan for it. Don't let it creep up on you!

It would be better to wait on the ice cream until your new eating habits have been established.

I had about half of a soft serve kiddie cone last week when we were at the state fair. It was about the only thing at the fair that was soft enough to eat.

I know it's not a healthful treat, but my nutritionist also said that having the band and eating healthy doesn't mean you can never have ice cream or pizza again, just not regularly and not in the large quantities we had before the band. Before I would have eaten a large... now I was happy to have a few bites of a kiddie, and I was ok with that.

You're just about a month out of surgery---so I bet you're in that starving stage when all the yummy stuff you're missing is really preying on your mind.

The good news is that you won't always have ice cream on the brain. You will add more foods, and work toward restriction--and you might not find yourself craving ice cream any more.

I'm 7 months out. I haven't had any yet. It doesn't fit in with my doctor's recommendations, and I'm doing the best I can to adopt new habits before I start adding indulgences.

That doesn't mean you can't have it. It's a choice. I choose not to have it because it's a slider food, won't really give me any satisfaction, and if not sugar-free, will set up the carb craving demon for me--and having conquered that demon, I don't want to welcome it back. But I have serious carb issues--and prefer to keep them at bay.

Your body is totally different from mine, though. So your choices may be quite different. What does your doctor say? If you've already advanced to or past full liquids, it's technically safe to add it back. (It is a full liquid.) I'd recommend sugar-free, but I do have issues with carbs; you may not. You may have issues with artificial sweeteners that I don't; we're all so different!

I am NOT big on finding "substitutes" for foods I crave. I find that having a small serving of what I really want works better for me. So I would not recommend eating frozen Cool Whip instead of ice cream (it's loaded with other stuff I don't want in my body!). It wouldn't do the trick for me at all. Instead, I'd suggest leaving the house, and going to a place where you can gt a single serving of ice cream. That way, you satisfy your urge, and walk away.

But at just one month out, I really would try to focus on changing your tastes---your body really, really will start craving other foods. (I couldn't believe how crazy I was for vegetables after having them restricted for a period of time. Today--honest to God--the highlight of my day are my veggies. You may be surprised to find your body telling you this sort of thing, too :thumbup:)

Still, a single serving of something tasty--as long as it does not really violate your surgeon's rules (and by rules, I don't mean his recommended eating plan, but rather his rules for advancing diet postoperatively; eating plans are optional, but diet advancement protocol is safety-based), it's your decision entirely. (If you have it, enjoy it--and remember, eating is not a moral decision, so guilt is not a necessary response!)

I love skinny cow, :thumbup: I eat them now and again. Just don't make it a habit and you'll be alright. I refuse to stay on a diet the rest of my life. I've made a life style change and in this I just make healthier choices, I watch the size of my portions but a treat every now and again is also part of it. This way I just don't feel left out of everything or like I'm missing out. So far it works for me.

Skinny Cow is great--they taste good, they've got pretty good nutritionals, and they are single-serving.

craigmorganfan - the simple answer to your question is...you can have ice cream anytime now and it doesn't have to be sugar-free. You got enough smacks on the nose from the other posts.