Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To PUKE or not to PUKE.......

That is the question! I am newly banded and filled. When I eat more than I should or something gets stuck, I feel very tight. However, I have not really had the real urge to vomit. I know if I did vomit I would feel better but my Dr. told me to vomit as little as possible. Is it better to make myself vomit at this time or wait it out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Do you really need someone to tell you, DONT VOMIT!!!

dont want that to sound harsh......but, dont vomit and stop when you recognize the full/too full feeling. but the answer is still NO

Actually, for me, the decision has not really been my choice. I usually do everything I can NOT to vomit, but often the saliva backs up too much and suddenly I *know* and all I do is bend over the toilet and whoop, up it comes.

Do not make yourself vomit. Avoid vomiting at all costs. Vomiting can risk your band to slip..so chew chew chew, slow down and take smaller bites. Do whatever it takes to avoid vomiting. Use a smaller fork ( crab fork) , avoid foods that you know will get stuck..etc..

I'm not banded so maybe this is ignorant (which is ok because then by definition I don't know any better) but wouldn't it be better to wait for a PB to occur naturally when something is stuck, than to force a vomit? PB ok for band, vomit bad, right?

OK some tough love here.

PB = bad

Vomit = bad

Neither is good for you. The whole point of the band is to stop eating when you get the full feeling. Some of us would listen and some of us would not. I fell into both categories. I would listen when I wanted to and not when I didn't.

PB and or Vomiting is not good for you or your band. It can cause irritation and increase stomach acid. Both of which over time can cause more serious complications down the road. LIKE oh say Ulcers, GERD, and more seriously a possibility of either slippage and might even contribute to Erosion.

The risks are just too great to you and your health to even warrant not listening to your body now guys. If you know that piece of bread, tortilla, salad, whatever it is won't like your band then,... OK ARE YOU LISTENING NOW,... DON'T EAT IT!!!!

If you are stubborn enough and want to eat it anyway then chew chew chew chew chew till it is liquid. Don't chew till there are still lumps the size of a peanut but chew till it is liquid.< /span>

I say all of the above with love and compassion for you all.

My bad, I should have been more specific. Of course PB isn't *good*, but I was under the impression that it was a lot more of something you can excpect to encounter at some point b/c of the band tha vomiting. I should have used "more natural consequence".

Not banded yet and being treated for a peptic ulcer and small erosion of the esophagus. Dr. says don't worry, the band will come after these things are cleared up, but won't this PB'ing that you girls talk about happen to me too and cause more problems with erosion of the esophagus. Will I be able to take my medication which is capsule and time released. I'm really concerned now that I will clear these things up and they will reoccur. Any help is appreciated. Is this PB'ing a real common thing and is there any way in the world to avoid having it happen...at least to the point of vomiting? It sounds like that would be dangerous if it continued.

I need encouragement big time. I really, really want the band and have done lots so far to make it happen.

WOW- I knew there was a reason I need to read this thread-lol lol lol lol lol . I ususally wait for as long has possible. 45 mins or 1/2 hour. But when I am in pain I just bend over & up it comes. Sometimes I do make myself gag to help it come up. I usually puke x2 & than no more pain at all. Please Please don't ya all start yellin at me. Penni set me straight a month or 2 ago & I got some restriction taken out. Now I only Pb about every 2 weeks or so. Which sounds like alot but considering I was every 3 days its much better. I am a slow learner.

SO back to Hopefullythin's question for me it helps to get the stuff out & calm my throat from over working & spazms. Than I just rest for several hours. I am pretty sure that I am WRONG for doing this but I am honest & will tell you I do. I feel personally its better to be rid of the culprit in one minute than to have my espophagus struggle for 45 mins. Again I know that I am probably wrong here - so please don't do it if at all possible. I just thought I would throw another opinion in the mix for you. I am still learning everyday & like I said improving but I still run into problem every so often. Good Luck !

Do not vomit. If something is stuck, you will PB on your own (believe me, the mucus comes, the pain comes, and up you chuck) If you're lucky & it passes through, there was no need. Listen to your band. If you eat a really big piece of something it might not come up OR go down & have to be removed. I saw it happen to someone & it wasn't pretty. Just because we can eat that next bite doesn't mean we should.

I don't mean to scare anyone--I'm far from perfect-- but it's really important to learn to eat properly. The band is just a tool, not a magic bullet.

basically three thing will happen

1) you will PB (not good)

2) you will PB so bad to the point you vomit (REALLY not good)

3) you will sit around in pain for 5-10 minutes until is passes and sometimes vomiting seems like a better solution (not real good either)

The idea is not to get to that point. Eat SLOW and take small bites. Its going to happen, i don't know a single bandster (who has been banded for awhile) who hasn't Pbed on occasion. The idea is to do what you can to the best of your ability not to PB. If you PB oftern (once or more a day) go on liquids for a couple days to rest your stoma/band. Then try again..if your still PB and you REALLY feel you are chewing things fully and following the band rules, make an appointment with your surgeon for a possible unfill.