Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help. Restriction problems!

Okay, so this is terrible. I think I'm only losing weight because I am (basically) starving myself. I try to eat and it all comes back up. However, if I take any cc's out -- then I GAIN weight (small but I still gain -- & not from eating unhealthy)

My mindset is that I should just wait it out until my stomach stretches a bit to where I would need a little bit more restriction and then just not make that app. to see if I can lose weight by eating more (which some people swear by)

Not sure if I can MAKE it to that point -- I'm BARELY losing anymore but it's better than gaining right?

Surgery date: Nov 2008

:)

SW: 289

CW: 171

GW: 130

Maybe you should go in for a small unfill. Even less than a cc can make a big difference. It's not good to be throwing up all the time for sure. I would call your doc. and tell them what's going on.

If you're throwing up all the time, the reason you're not losing weight is because you aren't consuming those calories. Your body is going into starvation mode, and you can actually gain weight from this. You need to get a slight unfill. Even .5 cc can make a huge difference!

Good luck girl!

This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read and I'm not trying to be mean one bit. The purpose of the band isn't to starve yourself or hope that somehow your stomach is going to stretch so that you're no longer throwing up. Have you not read the complications from being too tight for too long or the results of vomiting your food from your pouch each day? Maybe you should.

If you're not losing, look at what you're eating; exercise more; vomiting up your food really isn't the answer.

Again, not trying to be mean, I just think this is entirely silly.

If you can't hold down food - get a .5cc taken out - it will make a HUGE difference. If you are not able to eat helathy foods you will result to "slider foods" that actually have more calories....just saying.

To clarify: I feel as if I just got it tightened but it has been 3-4 weeks. I can eat SOFT or purred foods and keep liquids down but the foods that are heavier (lean chicken, turkey, etc) those are what is not staying down.

By starving: I meant that I am not getting my daily req. calories not that I am not eating ANYTHING.

I only had .5 cc put in so that is what I am having a problem with. By taking that out I'd go back to where I was and want to have a little more put in.

By "stretching" -- is what EVERYONE does after their fill (they usually can't hold a lot of stuff down for the first week) & then it gradually gets better. My question is that it's been about 3 1/2 weeks SHOULD I be able to eat heavier foods or is it because I already have lots of restriction that a little bit will take longer for normal foods to go down smoothly?

I really don't find this the "stupidest thing" & found that statement to be completely unnecessary. If you don't have something NICE to say then don't say it -- you could have done your reply without that statement.

You asked for help, so here it is: You are in the "red zone." You need to call your doctor and make an appointment. You are asking for band complications by continuing like this!

How much was your last fill? Maybe you need just a little taken out. I just had .2 cc taken out because I am at my size goal and I need to eat more. However, the tricky thing is after my unfill I can now eat denser food and I stay full longer and so I am eating less calories and a better combination of fats/carbs/proteins.

Before my unfill I could only do liquid in the morning so I would have a Protein shake and then be hungry around 10:30 and have a yogurt and be hungry again at 12. Now I can have a piece of 100% whole grain bread and an egg and I am full until lunch. (Its 1:30 now and I am just sitting down to eat)

So Breakfast before was 250 calories, 3g fat 11%, 24g carb (19g sugar) 39%, 31g Protein 50%

Now Breakfast 180 calories, 8g fat 36%, 21.4g carb (5.4g sugar) 43%, 10.g protein 21%

If you can not eat lean meat and veggies you are too tight.

And now for the bad news, you may not can lose any more with diet, you may have to burn the rest off with super intense exercise. I got to a point where the only way I was losing was to run a 5K, three times a week. The last 20% is a real pain in the butt!

Get a small unfill. .2 as Leigha suggested, or .1 or .3. Discuss this with you doctor. He/she may want to do a flouro to make sure with pb'ing you haven't had a band slip. Don't equate an unfill with eating more. That isn't necessarily true. I didn't eat more after an unfill either. Just was able to tolerate different foods and still stay satiated without having any more problems.

If you want to have your band in for keeps, don't keep yourself too tight, you're just setting yourself up for trouble.

When i was in the pre-op phase and doing allot of research I came across a thread where some one was talking about "getting it" they now understood how they were suppose to eat. They went on to say they were getting stuck on food and just not having a good time with eating. Well the conclusion was they were taking to big of bites. They said the bites that they now have to take were small, dime size small. I dont know why but that is one thing that has stuck with me. Maybe try small bites of Protein and chew it REALLY well. Good luck to you, Waynooo

Hi,

I would get some removed. It is sometimes frustrating to find the correct balance of fluids in band. I probably wouldn't get everything removed but, I would get maybe .2 ccs. That would likely make a big difference.

Wishing you well.

Brigette

I agree,, for a week i was like that - finally caved today and had a .5cc unfill and feel so much better - i actually lost 9lb in 7 days since the fill that made me too tight,, and while i love the numbers moving like that it isnt healthy.

I am having a similar problem with getting the right fill level. I have had my band for 2 1/2 yrs. You would think by now I would have everything worked out - but this band can be so fickle! I had lost 68 pounds and then suddenly it became too tight on its own. I had some removed and then it was too loose. My doctor will only add and remove in .5cc Right now I have gained 26 pounds and am so discourged. My band is too loose now - but is too tight if I add .5 more. Don't know what to do. I am hungry all the time - any advice??

I am having a similar problem with getting the right fill level. I have had my band for 2 1/2 yrs. You would think by now I would have everything worked out - but this band can be so fickle! I had lost 68 pounds and then suddenly it became too tight on its own. I had some removed and then it was too loose. My doctor will only add and remove in .5cc Right now I have gained 26 pounds and am so discourged. My band is too loose now - but is too tight if I add .5 more. Don't know what to do. I am hungry all the time - any advice??

Are you located where you have other options for a fill, such as a fill center or another Dr's office? If so, I would pay a visit to your current Dr and demand a .2 or .3 fill instead of .5. If you are refused, inform your Dr that you intend to schedule a fill somewhere else and if they still do not cooperate, go through with it. My last few fills were all under .5, my sweet spot, where I lost the last of my weight was at 5.7. I would have never found it going back and forth from 5.5 to 6.