Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI over 50 - In it for the long haul

Hi - It looks like there needs to be a new thread started for those of us who have a lot to lose. Let's share our journeys as it's a different trip than those who have a smaller amount to lose.

I am just starting -- literally -- JUST. I received my surgery date a few days ago -- it will be Sept. 29, 2010. My insurance company has given a pre-approval and is just waiting on the final paperwork to give their stamp of approval. Everything is on track.

I was very surprised and discouraged to find that my doctor would like me to lose 30-40 lbs. BEFORE my surgery. That means in the next 6 weeks, (starting Monday) I need to go on some kind of modified Meal Replacement plan-- slimfast or Optifast or something like that. I have to make that decision over the weekend. Any thoughts? Then, for the last two weeks I'll do a full liquid diet.

Those that have less weight to lose may not even have to do a liquid diet; let alone 4-6 week of it. I was almost ready to cancel the procedure and go with bypass since (obviously) I am not a successful dieter, but after reading so many success stories on this forum, I've decided that I can tough it out for those 6-weeks to get the banding done.

I have nothing to report as far as progress or success but I'm hoping by this time next week, I'll have a little bit of weight loss after 5 days on the Meal Replacements.< /span>

If you have started the process, been banded already, and/or have any interesting, helpful, or encouraging input, please share.

Let's make this a place where bigger really is better!

:lol:

Congratulations on your decision. I know that the 6 week diet is going to be tough, but you'll do it and then you'll get your band.

I've always thought that the worse part about trying to lose weight with a BMI over 50 is that ever diet lasted forever.

All the other people in the group or class would lose their 20 lbs and I'd lose 50 and still have another 100 to go. The band makes it all so tolerable. Yes, you are in it for the long haul, but for me it never felt like a long haul. I could eat and not be starving and the weight came off.

The 6 week diet will not be fun, but it's only 6 weeks.

Cindy

did not have to do a pre-op diet but i was motivated from the start.just knowing i was going to have the surgery motivated me enough.i started off exercising on my stationary bike.everyday.for 15 minutes at a time.after the nutrition con,i did Clear Liquids (chicken broth.jello pudding sugar free 60 calories.sugar free drinks. protien Water, special k.i know you can do it.i think its for shrinking liver, some people have large liver. my bmi was 57.i weight from the start 324lbs. then i lost 40lbs before surgery.you will see the results if not in pounds then in inches.you can do it.i will be rooting for you.

Hi - It looks like there needs to be a new thread started for those of us who have a lot to lose. Let's share our journeys as it's a different trip than those who have a smaller amount to lose.

I am just starting -- literally -- JUST. I received my surgery date a few days ago -- it will be Sept. 29, 2010. My insurance company has given a pre-approval and is just waiting on the final paperwork to give their stamp of approval. Everything is on track.

I was very surprised and discouraged to find that my doctor would like me to lose 30-40 lbs. BEFORE my surgery. That means in the next 6 weeks, (starting Monday) I need to go on some kind of modified meal replacement plan-- slimfast or Optifast or something like that. I have to make that decision over the weekend. Any thoughts? Then, for the last two weeks I'll do a full liquid diet.

Those that have less weight to lose may not even have to do a liquid diet; let alone 4-6 week of it. I was almost ready to cancel the procedure and go with bypass since (obviously) I am not a successful dieter, but after reading so many success stories on this forum, I've decided that I can tough it out for those 6-weeks to get the banding done.

I have nothing to report as far as progress or success but I'm hoping by this time next week, I'll have a little bit of weight loss after 5 days on the meal replacements.

If you have started the process, been banded already, and/or have any interesting, helpful, or encouraging input, please share.

Let's make this a place where bigger really is better!

:lol:

I did the medifast diet for two weeks, torture but I did live to tell about it. lol:lol: I lost 12 lbs. It's a 800 calorie diet but you do get to eat instead of liquid only. My Dr. wanted me to shrink my liver so it would be easier to lift when banding my stomach (sounds gross:eek:)! I had this done on July 28, 2010 I get my first fill next week on the 26th. none to soon I'm starving. I'm glad you started this all the posts seemed like they were from years ago. Let's stay in touch & encourage each other:thumbup: C. Winks

Hi - Thanks so much for your encouragement. It's so exciting to see that you only have 3 lbs. to go! You deserve all kinds of congratulations for doing so well. You know, I think, because of new friends like YOU, I CAN make it through the next six weeks and then my band and then my celebration. May not be tomorrow, but as long as it IS, it'll be good. Please let me know when those last three pounds come off so I can give you a big WOO-HOO!

hi sil - your pictures are amazing and it looks like we're about in the same boat. I'm starting at 318 with a BMI of 57. My goal weight is also 180. I can adjust it if I get close but I don't need to be a skinny mini -- just a healthy ME. You look SO much younger and I am sure you feel it, too! Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be around to let you know how it's going!

Hi Winks - Thanks for post. I'm excited to hear how things go after your fill. I should get mine just about in time for all the holiday events so that will help me get through my first "food season" since it will be fresh! Well, I have to decide what low-calorie diet I'm going to do starting (ugh!) tomorrow plus 15 mins. (It's 11:45 on Saturday night!) I'll check into that medifast. Let me know how you feel after your fill!

HI!!! I just returned from costco where I bought stuff for my pre-op diet which will start tomorrow morning. I have to talk to the RN there first so she can take my blood sugars down and tell me how to adjust my insulin -- that's why i'm not starting today.

I got shakes and Protein bars, fruits and veggies. Plan to do a shake for Breakfast and lunch; a Protein Bar after Breakfast and after lunch and then do some kind of boxed meal - lean cuisine, weight watchers, etc -- for dinner with some fruit and or veggies. That should put me at less than 1000 cals a day. I also HAVE to start some exercise. I love my wii fit and it's just plan fun to exercise with that (even get some cardio goin on) but I just don't remember to do it; then get too busy to stop and do it. I'm going to have to discipline myself to do it the same as I take my meds everyday -- for my health.

So, looking forward to getting lb. #1 off in the next day or two as I start my journey toward my banding on 9-29.

Wanna,

Congrats on your decision and attitude. It doesn't have to be tough. Try not to think about what you are missing and look to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I did nothing but Optifast shakes for 4 weeks and enjoyed it the whole time. I didn't let myself have the attitude that it was missing out on something. I concentrated on how much they tasted like delicious milk shakes.< /p>

Good luck and keep us informed.

Bob

Hey Bob - Thanks and how nice to hear -- I hadn't heard of anyone yet who was on the diet for as long a I have to be. Well, I think maybe I'll do just what you said -- tell myself, "hey, in another few hours, I get a shake" (or a candy "-) bar." Your encouragement really helped and I WILL keep you informed.! Thanks again! I love meeting such helpful and kind people and congrats on your loss! It looks like you're doing GREAT!

Hey Bob - Thanks and how nice to hear -- I hadn't heard of anyone yet who was on the diet for as long a I have to be. Well, I think maybe I'll do just what you said -- tell myself, "hey, in another few hours, I get a shake" (or a candy "-) bar." Your encouragement really helped and I WILL keep you informed.! Thanks again! I love meeting such helpful and kind people and congrats on your loss! It looks like you're doing GREAT!

A positive attitude is a stronger tool than the lapband and when you put them together; they work wonders!

Keep on reading here, you will find that those that are successful are positive. The attitude does not come from being successful. The success comes from being positive.

Awwwww, that's so true and so wise. TY!

Hi Everyone - It's after midnight -- that means it's the day that I start my pre-op six-week diet. I woke up this morning with a morbid sense of dread and after reading so much encouragement on the LBT forums, I am excited.

You know what I realized a few minutes ago: My clothes are the tightest right now as they'll ever be again for the rest of my life! After I wake up in a ew hours, I'll have my Protein shake and then proceed through the rest of the day and then the next and the next and soon it will be time for my band. How exciting to realize that every day from here on out gets better.

Thanks for helping turn this day that had a really cruddy start into a day that has me excited for morning. Every time my tummy growls, I'm going to visualize another ounce leaving!

Blessings to all of you!

Debbie

Hi - I've completed Day 3 of these pre-op diet and have been successful according to most criteria. It hasn't been perfect (I just had a handful of chili-lime almonds) which I struggle with -- if it's not EXACTLY right, it doesn't feel right at all. I'm having a hard time at the moment -- want to eat the wall, the dog, and my own arm -- which is why I'm keeping my hands busy typing. I'll go to bed soon. Tomorrow hubby has major surgery and I'll be sitting in a hospital all day. I'm a bit concerned about how to keep on track with all the idle sitting, vending opportunities, & stress while waiting. I'll need to pray my way through the day. Hope you're doing well. Let me know if you've had any great success lately so I can share your joy!

Well I said after my first fill I would post how it went. Nurse in Dr.'s office weighted me. I'm down 20 lbs. Yay! Dr. checked my incisions looked good. Yay! I told him & anybody else who would listen how hungry I've been since day 3 after banding. He said I didn't swell he guessed but I still had to wait 4 weeks like everybody else. Today was finally the fill day. Yay! My Dr. has fluoroscopy so I sit in chair lift up shirt chair goes back until your almost laying down. Machine hovers over me, they feel my port than can see it through machine screen (like x-ray) they mark the spot. Then slip needle into lap band. Not gonna lie hurt a little because incision is only 4 weeks healed. They try to suck air out first, then put in saline 2cc first. Then I drink this milky stuff that's suppose to taste tropical:( & they watch to see how it runs through the stomach. Long story short it took 5cc to make that liquid slow down. I get to go back in 3 weeks & thank goodness because it's been over 8 hrs. & I have no restriction. I have to stay on liquid diet for 48 hrs. in case of swelling. I'm still hungry & hope tomorrow I wake up feeling full. If not I'll try & be good another 3 weeks. When I hit that sweet spot as they call it I will be a very happy girl! :biggrin: Well hope this helps people who haven't had a fill yet, but remember every Dr.'s office is different so you might have a totally different experience. C. Winks :thumbup: