Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any September 2010 bandsters to be out there?

Piper,

It is good to see you doing to well. I hope Mine goes that smooth. I have had two Surgeries in the past, where I have been put to sleep. I had All Four of my Wisdom Teeth Removed and also have had my Gall Bladder Removed. In both cases I got along better than most people I know that have had the surgeries done. I am hoping for the same thing this time. My tolerance for Pain is high and I really do feel better when I get out and about. My Softball Team has a Game the night of My Surgery and Depending on What Time I get back and If i can nap in the afternoon, I am hoping to go out and watch the game. If not Monday Night then maybe Tuesday Night.

How Tired where you when you got home from the hospital?

Thank you, I am a bit bigger than you are, but I do hope I will not have a difficult time. I will be staying with my daughter till we know I am moving ok. Makes my nervousness less, knowing yours went smooth, keep letting me know.

I had my surgery yesterday. Got to the hospital at 5:30 am. Got admitted, weighed in (254) then headed to a private room where I changed into my gown.

The nurse came in and tried to start the iv. Apparently my veins were not cooperating, so 5 tries later another nurse got it started. There was so much going on in that last 30 mins before surgery- nurse working on the iv, anestheologist talking to me while another nurse was strapping the foot pumps to my feet. Apparently my Dr does the surgery with me in a mostly vertical position- that was all new to me.

They came and got me and wheeled me back to the or.

They slid me over to the table, then lined my feet up on a platform and then the next thing I know I hear the recovery nurse calling my name.

I stayed there for about an hour. I did start feeling some pain and all I did was say so and they gave me some pain meds. After that hour they moved me up to a regular room where I started to drink my 1oz of Water and Protein Drink every fifteen mins.

After I was able to pee, they started the paperwork to discharge me. I got dressed and then headed home.

As soon as I got home I took a gas-x strip and took a lortab pill. Also am having to do the breathing exercise every hour.

Stayed on the lortab every four hours until I went to bed. I stayed steady sore all day with some shoulder pain when the pain pill started wearing off.

I layed flat on my back in bed most of the afternoon but sat up on the couch to watch survivor and big brother.

After that I got in bed and decided to see if I could lay on my side. After I was able to get over onto my side, it seemed like everything shifted and once it settled I could breathe deep breaths and went right to sleep.< /p>

I slept better than I thought I would, I woke up about every 4 hours but I didn't take any more lortab after 945pm.

Woke up this morning and am feeling much better. Still moving slow but I just took liquid tylenol only today. Lots of phleghm this morning and temp has been running in the mid 99's. They said only worry if it is over 101.

I plan on getting out to Walmart today to get some walking in. Also I live upstairs and was able to climb them when I got home yesterday, no problem.

Definitely better than I expected.

I still can't figure out where my port is yet, I don't have a bigger incision up top, but I'm not going to poke around on them yet either. No bruising and the infusions are glued.

That's my story!

Hi Piper.

Thanks so much for posting the details of your post op experience. I'm glad to hear your experience was not that bad and you seem to be recovering fairly fast.

My surgery is tomorrow and you made me feel somewhat better. I can't wait for it to be behind me. I hope my experience is similar to yours - not too bad with fast recovery!:wub:

Hi Maxi2010, you will be fine!

I completely understand the nerves tho. I am meant to be asleep at the moment as it is 1:40am 17th Sept in Australia, I am online cause I have been lying in bed since 11:30pm and cant settle! I need to be at the hospital for addmission by 6:30am. I am schedualed for a 9:30am surgery! eek!

But you will have had the surgery before you know and be back here letting us know how it went and how you are going!

Best of luck and look forward to reading about your op etc soon :thumbup:

Good luck to you hun youll be back before you know it, let us know how your doing ok xxx:tt2:

Hi all.

I am currently getting ready to leave for the hospital for my band surgery. I can't believe the date is finally here! I actually was able to sleep about 4 or so hours last night. The rest of the time I was tossing and turning. Nerves I guess!

Wish me luck!

I'll speak to everyone when I get back to tell you my experience!

I hope everyone else getting surgery on 9/17 does well and is back home form the hospital in no time! Good luck! :thumbup:

Maxi

Getting banded next week- Sept 24.. Can't wait! I've been looking forward to this for a very long time

Congratulations Shauna34 and Donnasang on your 9/24 dates - right around the corner - Way to go!

I'm back from surgery. I went to the hospital at 10am on 9/17 but was not operated on until 5pm - a really long, dry, boring wait. I stayed overnight in the hospital and did not get home until 3:30pm the next day on 9/18.

No matter how people minimize it, the surgery IS painful for the first 1 to 1 1/2 days. However, it really was NOT that bad. The pain is manageable when you keep up with the pain meds and the RNs offer and give you what you need. As everyone has said - and I agree - the gas pain is the worst of it. Walking around helps as well as Gas-X strips.

The experience was not as bad as I had imagined as far as the surgery went. On the other hand, my hospital experience was both good and bad. It was bad in that my room was either so noisy I couldn't sleep or some medical staff (RN, aide, etc) would wake you as soon as you drift off to give you something they say you need (sometimes it was a shot, yuck!). I hardly slept while at the hospital. The good thing about my experience was my roommate and her boyfriend, who were both banded and gave me great advice. Some good suggestions they made were going to restaurants to get some good Soups during the liquid phase, such as getting egg drop Soup (Chinese), miso soup (Japanese) and chicken soup (Jewish). I got the egg drop soup from a Chinese restaurant on our way home from the hospital. I ate the soup slowly and saved the small portion soup for 2 different meals (late lunch and dinner) and it was yummy and enough. My roommate raved about her experience with her band even though she was in due to slippage of the band, which meant she had to get a new band. She said only 4% of all banded people have slippage.

On day 2 I'm still taking narc liquid pain killers but the pain is starting to lessen. I only took 3 doses total today. As my pain is lessening, tomorrow I may not need any narcs. I notice my pain is getting less and less. My gas pain is still a problem, however.

Good luck to all who will be banded next week! I hope you all have an easy time and a good experience.:thumbup:

Well congrats to all the other September 17th bandesters. I was banded on Friday as well. It's really late Saturday where I am, actually Sunday morning to be specific.

My surgery was uneventful. The hospital stay was fine although I was on the general surgical floor and the nurses had no idea what to do for me, twice I was given cups with straws and they didn't have anything else for me to drink. They never once woke me to take anything and I couldn't leave until I peed, but having not had anything for so long that was VERY hard. I was disappointed by that.

I've had two csections and was expecting this to be MUCH easier. I WAS WRONG. People have always downplayed the pain of the surgery to me I guess, but for those coming up be aware, it's not easy. You will need your pain meds. I was going to be superwoman and not take any narcotics so I could continue to sleep with and nurse my baby. That's not happening so now poor DH is giving him bottles in the middle of the night and he's in his crib. We've never done that so I feel super bad for him, but I'm not taking any chances. The gas pain is very bad, but it's mainly subsided. No one told me about gas x which I've read in several other posts. Should have picked some up I guess. The neck and chest pain is also a factor. I find taking deep breaths helps for that.

The lortab works well, but I've been asleep for most of the time. My oldest, he's 2.75 years old, he knows somethings up and is having a hard time, but I'll be fine in no time so he will too.

One good thing... netflix on demand! Loving it. Watching it on the laptop right in bed.

Good luck everyone. As always, I'm cautiously optimistic!

:thumbup::thumbup:

I agree about the pain and the use of pain meds after surgery. There is pain which no one wants to talk about. However, the pain meds work to make the pain bearable. No reason for anyone to be superwoman and live with pain. The pain meds they give you really work so take them when needed. Don't wait for the pain to get overwhelming.

Im off to Belgium tomorrow to have my band fitted on Tuesday:eek:

I'm a little scared but i'm sure i shall be ok.

I have just been and treated myself to a camcorder so that i have a way to record my progress. I am hoping that by christmas i will be about 28lbs lighter. I hope thats not just a pipe dream.

I hope all you other Septembers Bandsters are feeling good.

Wish me luck xx

Hello popsicles!

Well I got done - it does hurt honeys but you should be feeling nearer 100% Ok not long after - for me it's day 10 post op and I feel bout right but sore where port is - but some I've read are up and at em 3 days later???! (unless they're lying!)

Have lost 7lbs in 1 week!!!! but not having my first fill until 22/10/10 - but aside from not wanting to eat when firstdone; what a miracle: I really am feeling fuller - and now eat off a small plate and am eating portions as small if not smaller than my 3 year old!

So looking forward to Xmas now!!!!

hey watch out for the post op gas (they fill you up with this as it helps 'separate' organs when they op on you) they take out majority but rest spreads wherever and eventually body reabsorbs (what a relief when you can fart! Sorry but true) so you may have pain in weird parts - for me it was my neck and upper chest.

Please please please get some help when you come out - esp if have young kids or helpless hubby - you can't lift or bend very well - washing up/ picking things up from floor, hoovering etc really hurts as you're very sore - so use your family and friends to the hilt.

And don't forget your extra daily vit tablets!:thumbup:

Good luck - I'm hoping to reap the benefits in due course!!! Just think this time you can't self destruct as you just don't wanna eat!

Well done for taking this step for a better future FOR YOU! Stay in touch and let's post pictures of us at Xmas so we can all see how far we've come????

Here's to a leggy 2011:tt1:! x

I so enjoyed your blog. I will be banded on 9-28, I am on my 5th day of Protein Shakes, I've been eating a baked pc on chicken or scrambled egg at supper time. That's all the cheating I do, do you think that's ok. I will be so glad when these 2 weeks are over. I wonder how we will look at Christmas?

i was banded on 9/16 and i have to say the pain was much more than i expected i took all the pain meds offered. i stayed 24 hrs in hospital and wanted one more day i was in PAIN. today is day3 and iam much better i can get out the bed by myself i can walk upright im finally begining to think its gonna be ok. i had an excellent nurse and i was in a bariatric unit so they gave us excellent care. I am at about 55% I cant wait to be at 100%the gas is horrible but at least its coming out :thumbup:

Congrats to those who have already been banded this month and good thoughts to those who are still anxiously waiting. I was banded on 0914 and everyday is better. The gas pain is still causing me grief and I am crossing my fingers I will not be too out of breath for work tomorrow. I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, they encourage me to keep fighting and reassure me that these weird symptoms are just a part of the journey.

Keep your heads up!

I was so tired the afternoon after surgery. They say because if the anesthesia. That night I was awake and I don't know if I could have sat on bleachers for a long ball game. Everyone is different though so you might not have any problems.

The gas moving through my mid-section is weird. Definitely audible-I can hear everything moving through my stomach and guts.

Still don't know where my port is. There is no incision where he said it would be and I don't feel anything.

Infusions are starting to get itchy. I am 5 days out.