Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

APPROVED!!! yay! how long were you out of work/school?

I got the call today from the doctor's office that I was approved! after such a shittty week I was very surprised that something actually went my way! Anyways, I am trying to figure out when to schedule my surgery....how long were you out of school/work once you had the lap band??

Hey there babyk. First, congrats on being approved! Very exciting :party:

Everyone is different in terms of length of time out of work/school to recuperate, but her is my experience...

I teach children with autism and we have a 12 month school year so I do not have a summer break, but I did have a week off between the spring session and the summer session. I had my surgery the first day of that week off (a Monday) and as fine going back to work the following Monday (a week later). I was still a little sore, but I had regained all of my strength and was happy to be out of my house again.

Hope this helps

Good luck on your journey!

I took 2 weeks off but one would have been fine for me. Dont get me wrong I did enjoy having an extra week off to relax and figure out my new eating routine

I had surgery on Friday July 30th and took the whole following week off. I got back to work Monday. I am pretty much ready to go back but a little weak and tired. I had a coworker who had it done and came back in 3 days so it depends on how you do too. I would plan for at least a week and play it by ear.

Congratulations on your approval!!! I look forward to following your journey!

well let me tell you this it also depends on what kind of work you do..my sugeon told me I could have surgery on friday and be back to work on monday. NOT!! I guess I should have told him I stand on my feet all 8 hours and I have to lift heavy things also. Which I got guys to lift things for me a few times but then I started feeling guilty for getting them to help me do my job, so id do it my self. My advice if you have a sit down job you can go back a little sooner, but if you have to stand take at least a week off.

Congrats!!! Only you know. I took 8 days off and I thought that was perfect. I sit down at my job 9 hours a day and I felt good going back. I was a little tired, but felt well rested and not so sore. Just use your own judgement...Good Luck!!!

I had surgery on a Tuesday and went back on Thursday. It was do-able but I wouldn't recommend it.

I had surgery on Monday and went back to work Thursday. If you have a sedentary job, two or three days is sufficient. I can understand more time off if you do physical labor, but I do not understand posters here who have said they need two weeks! It is minor outpatient surgery (and yes, I had the hiatal hernia fixed too).

My surgery was 8 days ago and I'm not planning to go back to work for 3 more weeks. I *could* probably go back Monday, and probably could have even worked a couple days this past week, but I would have been miserable.

I still have considerable pain from gas and from my incisions, and very limited energy. I'd rather spend the energy that I DO have on myself and my family versus pouring it out on the job and then being too exhausted on my own time.

Of course I've got really great benefits at my job, and am getting 3 weeks of disability pay at 100% after 5 days of used PTO. :party:

I took 2 weeks off, and would definitely do it again. I didn't have a lot of gas pain, but my port incision was at the base of my bra line so I couldn't wear one. Also, I just felt very week some days.

Congratulations on your approval and good luck with the surgery. I was out four weeks as a result of complications. My surgeon said his standard recommendation is two weeks and that is what we planned for initially. I would ask your surgeon's office what their standard is for somebody who is in a similar situation as yourself as far as the nature of your job/work. You'll find that all surgeons are quite different as far as recommendations related to diet, etc. so best to follow your own surgeon's advice.

I had my surgery on a Monday and went back to teaching the following Tuesday. (Monday was a Holiday, or I would have gone back Monday.)

Being on my feet and not being allowed to be excused from Hall patrol was a little tough. I also was made to stand and break up groups of students during an assembly and was hit in my incision twice from the students jostling around. Saw some stars, but was OK. A more reasonable principal could have helped me avoid some of the discomfort of that first week back. he knew I had surgery, but not what kind.

I think a week is fine unless you do very physical work.

I would recommend at least 1 week, if you have the time.

I was banded on a friday (7/23) and thought I was feeling pretty good those first 6 days but on day 7 I started feeling great and realized how bad I was feeling previously. I was off a full 9 days, including weekend days. Having those days where I felt great before going back to work really helped my psyche.

It really depends on you and what your surgeon recommends as well as the type of job you have. If you've ever had any other laprascopic surgery, that may give you an idea as well. I think more time off is better, if you can.