Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled for surgery on Aug. 17. I know everyone's experience is different, however, I am really curious about the pain level the day of surgery and the following week. I am not scared of the pain..I have been through much worse, but I just want to know what to realistically expect from people that have gone through it...not from the doctor that hasn't gone through it. During the first week post op, will I be able to play with my kids, go to the park with them, swim with them? What was your pain level on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst.:)

well i am the type that HATES pain, don't want to be in pain at all. so i was terrified, but my friends and fam calmed down. but when i woke up in recovery it just felt like someone kinda punched me in my chest, didn't hurt just uncomfortable, i read that some people up here get gas pains in their shoulder, but i didn't feel that at all, i actually felt pretty good, day 2 it was uncomfortable because of the incisions so i took my pain meds (crushed up in my applesauce of course) so i wouldn't feel anything, but the incisions healed pretty fast. scale 1 to 10 i would say my pain level was a 4. And thats because i just felt a little uncomfortable because i knew something is my belly. Honestly you will do fine, i got banded July 12

Im 1 day post op and the pain hasnt been too bad. Nothing like my 2 c-sections that I have had. I think the most pain im having is from gas. I do feel pressure and Im swollen but Im also staying on top of things with my pain medication too. My pain level has been around a 4 or 5.

I dont know that I would be outside playing with my kids less than a week postop though. Things need time to heal and scar tissue to form to keep the band and port in place.

Thanks. I had two c-sections as well and although painful, I did just fine. If the pain is less than a c-section, I can handle it! I also had a Tummy Tuck, which made my c-sections seem like a day at the park so with that said, I hope I can conquer this as well as I did my other surgeries. Thank you for your input.

My doctor said no swimming for two weeks and when I started to do freestyle no breaststroke. I would be concerned about trying to supervise small children (ensuring they don't drown) if I was not 100%.

I was told no swimming for 4 weeks (or a bath) and that is to let the incisions heal. No lifting anything over 5lbs (I think) at least for 2 weeks,and to walk, but not do any exorcise until he cleared it.

Pain was only "there" when I changed positions like from sitting to standing. I only took 1 pill the first night and woke myself everytime I moved, so then I took 2 pills (mashed up) for 3 or 4 nights. The extended sleep went a long way in helping the healing. I could not do lifting for 6 weeks. It was such a hardship having my sister do my laundry. Tee-Hee.

At worst pain was a 3 or 4.

Had surgery on Monday. Monday I would say the pain was around 5. The incisions hurt and the gas pain wasn't pleasant. Tuesday was around a 4. Wednesday and Thursday I managed to not take any pain meds at all until bed time. Moving makes the incisions hurt. Got up this morning, and I only have a twinge ever once in a while at the incision site. Now, I did notice that I was over doing it (4 kids and was trying to do laundry), I started hurting. Decided that maybe I should just try and relax. Over all though it wasn't any worse than the tubal I had done in December.

My shoulder surgery was way worse than my lap band surgery. Lap band was cake compared to that.

Im not sure why, but unlike people posting here i had serious pain the first 12 hours after surgery- enough that they kept me pumped full of morphine. When I woke up from surgery my pain was easily an 8 and thats being generous. However, by the next day i was much, MUCH better and took my last pain pill on day 3 and have very very minimal discomfort since then. I had virtually zero gas pain though, which was nice.

I honestly was shocked at the pain levels considering most everyone around here said they had very little pain. Just throwing in my two cents, though I am clearly in the minority- but i would have liked to know ahead of time that it was a possibility.

I had mine done this morning. I haven't taken anything but liquid Motrin. All I have is gas pain. It's uncomfortable but not terrible. I've watched some tv, walked around a lot and played on my computer.

I was actually relieved that it wasn't too bad.

I would say more pressure and discomfort than anything EXCEPT when trying to sit up or stand up...that was painful, but only for a second while I was in the process. I had forgotten since my c-section and gallbladder surgeries, how much you use those stomach muscles when you're trying to get up. I was at home, alone with my then 5 year old taking care of him completely on my own by day 3. I was a little tired and achy but really that was all. I took pain meds once or twice during the day the first 4 days then only at bedtime the next 3 or 4 days (had a little trouble getting comfortable, I'm a tummy sleeper). On average, I'd say the pain was a 3-4, occasionally a 5, when trying to sit/stand maybe an 8 but just for a sec and once I was up it was all good again.

I had absolutely ZERO pain. Of course they give you narcotics in the hospital. And I took the prescription pain med for one day. I slept in a recliner for a couple of nights just to be on the safe side. But I never felt one bit of pain.

The post-op gas pressure was uncomfortable in my neck and one shoulder. A heating pad helped a lot with that.

I did have a fair amount of nausea for a week after surgery. Definitely give yourself at least a week to heal and take it easy.