Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm officially 1 week from surgery and I saw the nutrionist today to start my 7 day all liquid diet. I was really worried about it, but I don't think it is going to be all bad. I can make my own shakes using no sugar carnation Breakfast, greek yogurt and lots of ice. I can also blend Atkins shakes with lots of ice. Like I said not so bad for day one but we'll see how I feel on day 5 lol.

I head to Texas on Tues for all the pre-op tests and I guess they will give me my surg time then.

I'm really excited but starting to get a little nervous too. Although I have spent two years researching and working on getting the band, I'm starting to wonder if it will really work for me ( I have more of a don't eat enough/right foods than eat too much ) I love to read all the success stories here but I stubled on kind of a " I hate the band " thread the other day and some of the posts really shocked me. I know I have the will power to do what I am supposed to: eat right, exercise, lots of Water ect now I wonder will that be enough?

Last min jitters......man they suck! lol :)

count me in Aug 18 is the big day.

My surgery is tomorrow! I'm so nervous, but excited to finally be moving forward!

Hello all you August Rushers, congrats. to all who were banded this week. I am now 8 days post-op, and things are moving right along. I keep dropping the pounds, every day or every other day I drop a pound....AND IM LOVING IT! I decided to name my band "Chauncy" I don't know I just like that name.

I decided a few days ago, that I would focus more on low carbing it! Man, you want to peel those pounds off? Just low carb it. I really don't have a lot of options but the result on the scale more than makes up for it:thumbup:. I have been having my protien drink (81 grams) and 9 carbs for breakfast....then I have 2 scrambled eggs with mayo and mustard (blended).....then I have cottege cheese with mayo (blended) filling, and all for 20 carbs. I haven't been snacking between, because of all the protien:blush:. Well all for now!

Peace out

Kelly

Edited by kellyodoran

I'm banded! Surgery was @ 7:00 am and I'm

still at the hospital! My poor husband! They didn't have a room in short stay until 4:00! Now I have to

drink 24 oz before they let me go! Found out that I had a hiatal hernia during surgery,

so now I have my excuse for everyone since I haven't told anyone about the surgery! Similar surgery to repair! Yay! I haven't had really any pain or gas pain. The surgery went great and I've been comfortable all day. To those of you who haven't been banded yet this month, it's not bad and I'm

sooo happy I did it!

I'm banded! Surgery was @ 7:00 am and I'm still at the hospital! My poor husband! They didn't have a room in short stay until 4:00! Now I have to drink 24 oz before they let me go! Found out that I had a hiatal hernia during surgery,

so now I have my excuse for everyone since I haven't told anyone about the surgery! Similar surgery to repair! Yay! I haven't had really any pain or gas pain. The surgery went great and I've been comfortable all day. To those of you who haven't been banded yet this month, it's not bad and I'm sooo happy I did it!

Congrats to you! It sounds like you are going to be just fine. I had a minimal amount of pain, too. I'm eight days out and I'm still doing great! I definitely have an appetite, though. Like you, I'm sooo happy I did this.

Congrats to all you newly banded and doing well.

It's so hard to keep up with the 2 threads going. I forget what I post where and who checked in and who didn't. So forgive me if I repeat myself.

I think Shadena was banded today also but she hasn't checked in the last couple of days. I hope she does soon.

I got my clearance letter from my Dr today he said all was fine and that I shouldn't be nervous. He said the band is a surgery with a very low complication rate .

So I feel a bit better but I'm sure I will have a few sleepless nights btwn now and Monday. I just want it to be over already.

All of you checking in to say it's done , you're oK and it was a piece of cake are a big reassurance to us that have yet to go.

Imagine all of us August rushers will be posting next month about how much we've lost and how we're feeling. It will all be over and we'll be on the losing track.

We'll all be a bunch of losers!! :thumbup:

Oh Kelly, I agree with you ...low carb is gonna be my mode of eating. It's always worked for me the only thing is this time I don't have to worry about gaining it all back .

Edited by msdv

Kelly , Im pleased to see you are on your Way with Chauncy!!!!! ill be starting my journey on Tuesday!!

Wish me luck!!

Jennifer

I'm really excited but starting to get a little nervous too. Although I have spent two years researching and working on getting the band, I'm starting to wonder if it will really work for me ( I have more of a don't eat enough/right foods than eat too much ) I love to read all the success stories here but I stubled on kind of a " I hate the band " thread the other day and some of the posts really shocked me. I know I have the will power to do what I am supposed to: eat right, exercise, lots of Water ect now I wonder will that be enough?

Last min jitters......man they suck! lol :thumbup:

You know i wrote the same thing yesterday about being too informed...http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/tmi-bad-bad-thing-119644/ i was reading too many posts about band's gone wrong and erosion and slippage and the list goes on and on to the point that i dont wanna get banded anymore, but i got a great response from another member who told me:

"people who are happy do not keep posting. How many times can they start a thread saying the band is wonderful, it's the best thing I have ever done etc etc. You would soon get bored. Most people that are banded and successful do not spend time on these groups. they go off and happilly live their lives. So you have to remember that you will see what seems like a high proportion of problems."

It really helped me put my ideas back into perspective and will continue with the band... Hope all goes well with you and your upcoming surgery i too wonder if this will work for me but just gotta think positive....

You know i wrote the same thing yesterday about being too informed...http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f84/tmi-bad-bad-thing-119644/ i was reading too many posts about band's gone wrong and erosion and slippage and the list goes on and on to the point that i dont wanna get banded anymore, but i got a great response from another member who told me:

"people who are happy do not keep posting. How many times can they start a thread saying the band is wonderful, it's the best thing I have ever done etc etc. You would soon get bored. Most people that are banded and successful do not spend time on these groups. they go off and happilly live their lives. So you have to remember that you will see what seems like a high proportion of problems."

It really helped me put my ideas back into perspective and will continue with the band... Hope all goes well with you and your upcoming surgery i too wonder if this will work for me but just gotta think positive....

You and I must have read the same post yesterday and I saw a vid on YouTube where the woman was saying that she made a big mistake and she even thinks that the band will be taken off the market in a few years.

Reading stuff like that made me put off getting the band for a couple of years even though my Dr recommended it for me.

Some people have real medical problems and the band will not work as well for them but I think a lot of people just don't put the work in that is necessary to make this band work. I keep telling myself this is just a tool. It's not a cure all and when it's done I'm not going to drop 20lbs every month.

I have to eat well and exercise and the band will complement that.

Another successful bandster also told me that same thing that many of the successes are out living their life and not hanging around here giving us horror stories.

I too have fears of doing this and still complaining about my weight this time next year. I think that's natural.

Only time will tell.

kelly , im pleased to see you are on your way with chauncy!!!!! Ill be starting my journey on tuesday!!

Wish me luck!!

Jennifer

good luck!:thumbup:

Jen good luck with your surgery today!!!

Thanks! :thumbup: It went really well....I'm feeling good...except for gas pains in my back....but that was to be expected, right? I'm just hoping they go away soon!!

But the surgery went great....I did have a hernia that needed to be fixed as well....but I think my Dr. said that 50% of the patients who get the band end up having to have a hiatal hernia fixed as well. I asked him again this morning....b/c I was really groggy yesterday in the recovery room when I thought I heard that that had been done.

I'm home now....and just drinking Water & apple juice. I'm not really hungry at ALL....tomorrow I start my Protein - 2 week liquid post-op diet. I think with the practice from the 2 week prior to the surgery, I'll do just fine. We'll see! :)

Anyway, I'm happy that it was over. I was kind of nervous...and as I was in the OR, I quickly thought to myself, "Is this what you really want to do???" hahaha....a little late, right? I think I was just freaked out by all of the apparatus in the cold OR!

Anyway, I"m glad to be be done...and home....and onto my road to recovery. :)

I had my first bad dream about my surgery last night. There was a man that kept telling me a million and one reasons why i shouldn't have surgery! I kept yelling at him and saying "you're wrong!" lol

I am so excited! I go for my final weigh in tomorrow morning and surgery is friday! 14 days of liquids went by SO quickly. I am eager to see what kind of weight loss I've had the past two weeks. I am so eager to begin this journey already!

I am having a hard time focusing at work and focusing on ANYTHING at this point! :thumbup:

Okay everyone I am back and didn't die! Imagine that! Below is an account of the surgery day from start to finish...I posted it on the Surgery thread but decided that there may be a few curious August Rushers out there who would like to see it. If not then just skip cause it's LONG! Once again, thank all of you for your support. I think I would have scared myself and backed out if it wasn't for all your positive comments! Happy to be banded!!!

"Today was my surgery day. I can't believe I am sitting up and writing this so forgive the spelling errors and the rambling (Vicodin is my friend right now).

My surgery day started with a call from the doc last night saying that my surgery time was changed from 7 am to 10 am. I was bummed because I then had to change all of my son's scheduling around AND without letting anyone know why. Everyone was great and no one pried although I am pretty sure they knew something was up. Doesn't matter now since I am now officially ON THE BAND

This morning I got up super early and so made corned beef and cabbage for my husband and son (daughter is away at college) by putting it in the crockpot. It was somehow therapeutic to prepare, peel and place all the food inside and know that I would come home smelling the house like I had been cooking even though I hadn't. I don't know what it was but sitting here now I love it. Comforting or something. After that I had a shower and did all the usual stuff. MISSED my coffee but figured the Vicodin with mask the caffeine withdrawals and it did. We got to the hospital right at 8 and had to pay for the anesthesiologist and some last minute paperwork. I had to take a pregnancy test (YIKES if that had been POSITIVE!) However, all was good there and they said all my levels were positive.

I then went back to the surgery prep room and changed into gown, calf sleeves and booties. None of these warm fuzzy socks so what's up with that? Anyways, not a big deal. The prep room was small and there were only four other surgeries that day (2 by my doc and I was the first for him). It was quiet and I had two nurses assigned to me full-time. Joanne was the best (not that the other one wasn't - Lee -but Joanne was my main nurse). They were great with my husband which was good cause he gets really freaked around needles and hospitals. He really was so good and supportive and tried hard to hold my hand at all the right moments. I am very lucky to have him. The doc ran late cause he had an emergency so I didn't have surgery till 10:45 am.

I don't ever remember a Heparin shot. In all honesty they either forgot or I just didn't remember, which is very possible. I talked more with the anesthesiologist than I did with the surgeon. Everyone was pretty amazed that I had a lower BMI and absolutely no comorbidities, allergies, etc. I write this because I want anyone else who is like me to feel supported. I chose this because my ankles were just starting to swell up in the past year and my varicose veins are nasty and my knees were starting to hurt and I knew that for me, I wanted this done as a preventative measure against all the seconday risks associated with WLS.

Anyways, in went the numbing stuff for the IV which STUNG and then the IV. Happy juice followed after. My husband said I wasn't loopy at all and he was worried about that but i told him it just made me press back into the bed, like a heavy blanket was on me, and it took away the stress. Up till that point I was asking the question,, "what would happen if I took these iv things out and took off" and after the shot I was like "Hey let's do it and let's do it now!" No more worries! They wheeled me to the OR and had me slide to the other table and strapped my arms down. They asked me to think of a favorite vacation, my mind was blank and I couldn't do it, and then I was out. The OR was the scariest. It's so official looking with instruments out everywhere and everyone is more serious there.

So then I woke up and I was in MAJOR PAIN. I don't want to scare anyone but I want to be true to the experience so there are no surprises for you. It was gas pain and it was in the area just below my sternum. It was in my left shoulder too but not as bad. I was moaning because I couldn't vocalize yet and I couldn't open my eyes at all. I tried but it was barely. The guy finally gave me a shot in the rear but even that barely touched the pain. It was bad. He kept rereminding me that I had begged to go home today and so he was reluctant to give me more. I listened but I think if I could have vocalized more at that point I would have said "F$%^ going home, give me the F$%#ing drugs." It's good I didn't cause I am so happy to be home now. But THEN? Wow.

finally he (the recovery nurse) said if I would walk the pain would go away so I told him I want to walk NOW and tried to get off the bed in recovery. He gently pushed me back on, packed up my stuff in a flash and then wheeled me into the surgery prep room again and dropped me off to Joanne. He was a nice guy and even came back to check on me before I went home. He teased me about how different I was by the time I could go home. Poor thing probably deals with that all the time!

I almost started crying when I saw my husband but I could see in his eyes that he was so worried and then I knew how bad I must look. I immediately went back to sleep for 1/2 hour. I guess I should throw the times in there. I went in for surg at 10:45. I was out of recovery by 1:15. I walked in the door at home at 4. While in the surg prep room I had to walk and try to eat/drink and do the breathing machine thingy to open up my lungs so no pneumonia. I did these things but very slowly. Oh and also had to pee. Finally I got everything ticked off the list and was ready to go. They wheeled me out and my husband drove me home. (The Jello was BAD for me. It hurt and felt solid going down. Terrible. My suggestion is to stick to broth and Water and that's it. It hurt!)

At home I immediately had two fat free/sugar free popsicles to wet my mouth and get a little sweet into me. I also felt good enough to drink more water. Within minutes I took a nausea pill and a Vicodin (I had ALOT of nausea but no vomiting all day after the surgery). Once the Vicodin kicked in I was out like a light. My husband had stuck a heating pad on my back and I SLEPT. I felt better when I woke up which was 1 1/2 hours ago. Now I can feel my stomach again and the soreness so I am about to walk again and then maybe more Vicodin :thumbup:

I hope this helps with the journey for all of you. I am also on youtube with jenontheband and you can google me. I am going to do a video tomorrow which will be much of this same stuff but hey, you can see what I look like

Thanks again for this community! Your support has been a blessing in my life!

i just found this thread.

i'm being banded tomorrow. i'm scared about the surgery and how this is going to effect my life.

i know for the better but i've been living over weight since i was in my 20's - it's a lot to get used to.

part of me wants the weight to drop fast because i'm tired of being so overweight and tired but another part wants it to come off slowly so i can get used to it.

we'll have to wait and see which rules out.