Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello August(ers)! Im on the 11th and so ready! Cant wait to see and hear about everyones progress!

Wow, I am so excited to see all the activity on this board. I joined the August 2010 board back in June but there wasn't much activity so I haven't been back for awhile. I will be banded on August 16th. So far I see that Laurie, msdv, Jason and I all have the same day!!

I am currently on a 10 day shake only diet. The first day way really rough. I drank a Special K Protein shake that I didn't realize had a soy product that I am allergic to and I spent the evening throwing up...YIKES! I was so worried it was going to make me gag every time I had a shake, but 3 days later and I am doing fine. Carnation Instant Breakfast has been my favorite...add a little cinnamon to the vanilla one, it's delicious!!!

I'm so excited to see most August Rushers who have already had the surgery seem to be doing well...I hope my surgery goes as well as all of yours did.

I have a desk job but I still took a full week off of work. I probably didn't need that much, but if I feel better then it's just more time to get stuff done around the house since we are trying to get in ready to put on the market. Gee...you think maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew with moving and having surgery so close together (ha-ha)

Also just want to add that I've told all of my family about the surgery and after it's over plan to tell my coworkers. I'd rather they know the truth then deal with all the whispering as the weight falls off.

So sorry for the rambling, there were just so many topics covered since I last signed on that I figured I would try and comment on them!

Hey all. Just found out today that I am getting banded on August 26th. I am so so so so so nervous!!

One question I have is about telling people. I don't want to tell my in-laws, and dh keeps asking why. I don't have a clear answer for him, I just know I don't want them knowing. I told him I don't want them telling the whole world, which I know his mother will do, so that's part of it. But can anyone else better verbalize for me why they don't want to tell people? I just can't seem to explain it to him so he understands, and

I tried to tell him that I can't explain it and that he needs to just follow my wishes, but he seems to want more reasoning than that.

And another problem is that he works with his brother and he needs to come up with an excuse as to why he is taking time off. He can't just say he is taking off and not give a reason, his brother will pry and then tell their mother who will call and nag us about it. What should he say??? He's a great liar, but we just can't come up with a logical explanation that won't elicit more questions.

Hi ya Kristy29!

I don't know if I can help you verbalize your reasons for not telling, but I will share with you my own, and maybe that will help.

My main reason for not telling people is that I don't want to be scrutinized while I'm trying to get used to the band and learning, for myself, how to live with it. Too many people have the idea that with WLS, the weight should just melt off; I don't want people questioning me and my developing habits because that's not happening. I don't want people watching everything I put into my mouth and asking if that particular bite of something is on my program. I wouldn't be telling everyone if I had decided to join Weight Watchers, for that matter! I am very uncomfortable with the attention that comes with weight loss, in general, and I want to find my footing and my own way with the band before people start to notice that I've lost weight.

I did tell my in-laws, because I needed their help and because I eat with them often. They have been amazing during my process, but I have to admit that sometimes I get tired of the questions. The same with one of my best friends. I didn't tell my mother that I was considering WLS; she died recently, but I don't think I would have ever told her. I told a few friends and all necessary medical professionals -- about 10 people altogether.

I hope that helps you!

My main reason for not telling people is that I don't want to be scrutinized while I'm trying to get used to the band and learning, for myself, how to live with it. Too many people have the idea that with WLS, the weight should just melt off; I don't want people questioning me and my developing habits because that's not happening. I don't want people watching everything I put into my mouth and asking if that particular bite of something is on my program. I wouldn't be telling everyone if I had decided to join Weight Watchers, for that matter! I am very uncomfortable with the attention that comes with weight loss, in general, and I want to find my footing and my own way with the band before people start to notice that I've lost weight.

It's like you're in my head.

I'm the same way... I NEVER announce when I'm dieting... because when you're as overweight as I am it's all people want to talk about with me when I admit I've been dieting. I hate having people ask me about it. I resent when people remind me "is that on your diet?". I just know this is going to be a huge life change and it's going to be hard and frustrating and I don't need people to add any more frustrations until I've "got it".

If you feel that way then tell him... that way it's more about you and how you feel rather than "Because I don't want your parents telling people"...

Jen good luck with your surgery today!!!

Good Luck to everyone having surgery this week!!!

I too feel the 16th will be here before we know it. Started pr-opp diet and am so hungry. UT videos are great inspiration for me also, and informative. Good luck to all!

Hi ya Kristy29!

I don't know if I can help you verbalize your reasons for not telling, but I will share with you my own, and maybe that will help.

I did tell my in-laws, because I needed their help and because I eat with them often. They have been amazing during my process, but I have to admit that sometimes I get tired of the questions. The same with one of my best friends. I didn't tell my mother that I was considering WLS; she died recently, but I don't think I would have ever told her. I told a few friends and all necessary medical professionals -- about 10 people altogether.

I hope that helps you!

Yes, that does make sense. I do think that is part of it for me, thanks. I really don't need people watching my every move and checking me out to see if I've lost anything and commenting on it. I think it will be a hard enough journey in my own head without other people joining in.

He tried to tell me I should be proud that I am doing this to make my life better, but I told him I feel the opposite. I feel like I failed and that's why it's come to this. He totally didn't understand that. He is not ideal weight, but the most he's ever been overweight is by 30 lbs, and when he chooses to lose it, he can do it in a couple of months. So it's hard for him to understand. I wish he could just be inside my head so I didn't have to explain it to him.

I'm getting banded Wed, the 11th, and I'm stressed and nervous but excited too. I just want this part to be done with and to get on with the rest of my life. It will be so much better when this big "surgery" isn't looming out there. Will Thursday ever come?

I am right along with ya! I cant wait till tommorrow to get here and be over! What time is your surgery sched for? I have to be there at 10am!

Yes, that does make sense. I do think that is part of it for me, thanks. I really don't need people watching my every move and checking me out to see if I've lost anything and commenting on it. I think it will be a hard enough journey in my own head without other people joining in.

He tried to tell me I should be proud that I am doing this to make my life better, but I told him I feel the opposite. I feel like I failed and that's why it's come to this. He totally didn't understand that. He is not ideal weight, but the most he's ever been overweight is by 30 lbs, and when he chooses to lose it, he can do it in a couple of months. So it's hard for him to understand. I wish he could just be inside my head so I didn't have to explain it to him.

I am exactly like you, I have only told my DH and no one else. I did happen to run into a girl I know at the doctors, but we both swore to confidentiality. I am just a very private person, I tend to keep things to myself and I like that people think I'm confident and funny and secure. I think they would all be shocked that I fake those things (except the funny part...I am funny!). I'm not confident and I'm not secure about myself and every day I have to fake being someone I'm not. It's exhausting. The weight is a huge part of my low self confidence, it's probably the only part, because... I'm really pretty! LOL! But I need to do this for me, no one else. I don't want to be judged, and I certainly don't want people having conversations that revolve around me and my decision to have WLS or my weight. It's just such a private thing. MY MIL is the same as yours, she would tell everyone, including the people at the check out. I know my friends would be very supportive, and one of my sisters is my best friend and I feel awful not telling any of them, but I just really feel like I have to do this alone. They all know that I'm trying to lose weight because I have had a few health scares in the past couple of years. They've seen me on the pre-op diet and know I'm eating smaller portions, but I'm being banded tomorrow, and I have to avoid all of them for a week or so...that's not going to be easy because I'm a social person, but I know a week or two of laying low is the best thing for me in the long run. Once you tell people, you can't untell. You have to be ready for all of it once it's out there.

I am right along with ya! I cant wait till tommorrow to get here and be over! What time is your surgery sched for? I have to be there at 10am!

I'm at 7am 8/11/10! Good luck tomorrow...and during the recovery! I'm sure we'll meet back here! :(

I tend to keep things to myself and I like that people think I'm confident and funny and secure. I think they would all be shocked that I fake those things (except the funny part...I am funny!). I'm not confident and I'm not secure about myself and every day I have to fake being someone I'm not. It's exhausting. The weight is a huge part of my low self confidence, it's probably the only part, because... I'm really pretty! LOL! .

It's amazing how similar we are then! Up until we started the banding process my fiancee had NO IDEA how much my weight affected my confidence and security. He's known me for 13 years and had no clue! But I do the same thing... act like it's all good in front of people. I don't usually let my size stop me from doing things either- but the whole time I'm aware what I must look like doing them!

It's nice to know there are other people out there experiencing life as I have. I didn't think I was alone in it, but it's comforting knowing for sure!:(

It's amazing how similar we are then! Up until we started the banding process my fiancee had NO IDEA how much my weight affected my confidence and security. He's known me for 13 years and had no clue! But I do the same thing... act like it's all good in front of people. I don't usually let my size stop me from doing things either- but the whole time I'm aware what I must look like doing them!

It's nice to know there are other people out there experiencing life as I have. I didn't think I was alone in it, but it's comforting knowing for sure!:(

This is good therapy, huh? I just had a to share another reason why... one of my sisters (who I already mentioned is my best friend), has always looked like Barbie. She's almost 50 years old now and I'm almost 40, and we are still so close, but she's still a Barbie... one time I went to visit her at work and although we look similar, I weigh about 90 lbs more. She introduced me to someone and I immediately said "I'm the fat sister!". I don't know why I said it, I thought I was being funny. Later, she called me and complimented me in all that I have accomplished in life and that NO ONE sees me as my weight. Funny, because that's all I see. I think if I tell anyone, I think they would try to convince me not to do the surgery and I really want to do this for me, because no matter what I accomplish in life, I still see myself as a failure with this weight.

Sounds like you have a great sister. :-)