Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slipped..having surgery Monday...recovery time?

I was banded Sept 09 and have gone from 228lbs to 169lbs...but with tons of pain and problems throwing up, reflux etc. Upper GI showed band slipped and now am having suregery to reposition the band on Monday. Can anyone tell me what the recovery time will be? Will is be faster than the initial surgery?

I am scheduled to travel for work 48 hours afterward...

Thanks

I guess it is different for everyone but I was off 9 days when I was rebanded. My port was ok so surgeon didn't have to mess with it. Wasn't any pain, probably could have gone back to work right away but my bariatrics team is conservative.

thanks...how was your procedure? Did they just reposition it? I am scared. I went in today for a complete unfill because I was throwing up constantly and coughing and choking with sleeping. I cant find much info on people who have had the band slip and their experince with surgery to fix it. ANything you can share would be so helpful

The procedure lasted longer than the original surgery due to scar tissue, I think 1 1/2 hours, I could be wrong about the length of time. I got a new band as it was positioned a little higher up. I got extra stiches so I was told. My surgeon told me that if I slipped again that the band would come out for good but that it shouldn't slip. I had to go the 6 weeks like I never had the band before I could be filled, like starting over. Of course I had to be filled in increments just like being new to the band. And of course had to be on the liquid, pureed foods just like I was new. food wise it was a little rough going because you don't really know how the band helps you until you lose it or have to start over as in my case. I was hungry until I got my first fill from the rebanding....and then it took another 2 fills till I got to the sweet spot. I was at goal when I slipped. The surgeon told me that I would most likely gain wait until I got a fill and not to worry about it that it would come back off. I gained 7 lbs which I felt was really good as I know of some people who gained much more just with an unfill due to problems. Hope all goes well with you just like it did with me.

thanks for your post...I had mine on monday. It was an easy fix i guess..not much scar tissue so he was able to reposition in and stitch again.. I actually flew 48 hours after the surgery for a business meeting in NYC (I live in CA)...fly home tomorrow....

I am hungry! sucks to start over again on liquids..I have lost 60 lbs so far and haev 20 more to go. im worried that I wont lose with the new revision. I know stupid but I am scared ..i dont want to gain.

how is it going with you now that you have the new band?

I thought it was much easier the second time around. I don't know if its because you know what to expect or what.

My first band was placed in May 2008. My band slipped in July 2009. I was in Hawaii on a kayak when my band slipped (long story). I went to the emergency room in Hawaii and they couldn't figure out what to do with me. The emergency doctor couldn't figure out what a "lapband" was (small hospital). The doctors in Hawaii spoke by phone to my doctor here in California and the doctor in Hawaii couldn't get any Fluid out of my band because it was so twisted.

I was in the hospital for a few days before my surgery because they had to take a few tests to figure out how the band slipped (endoscopy had to be done too) and I had to wait for a surgery date and time.

I was in the hospital for less than 24 hours after my surgery. I had the surgery on a Thursday and returned to work on the following Monday. My band was too twisted to replace it. I actually thought I didn't need a new band but when the weight started piling back on, I realized I needed a new band.

I had a second band placed in November 2009. One of the best things I ever did. I am still struggling with finding a "sweet spot" but its so worth it.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hi:

Just had my slipped band replaced on 7/20. A little bit simpler surgery because they didn't have to mess with my port. However, the fatigue is hitting just as bad as with the first time. First band I took two weeks vacation. This time I went back to work full time 6 days post op. My butt's been dragging all week, but getting better each day. I hope to feel well enough to start exercising next week (just walking & swimming).

I gained 7 pounds post surgery because of Fluid retention. So far I've lost that plus 7 more since last week!

Happy to have my "Belly Cop" back again!

Sue

thanks for the replies...i am feeling pretty good...just a little bloated from the gas they pump in...but WAY better than the first one. I am just worried that i wont lose weight again. It seems too good to be true to have lost 60 lbs...and i think i was living with a slipped band for at least 4 months..like forced bulemia...so now that I am not throwing up will i gain? Gosh sounds stupid but i am worried :rolleyes: