Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe this has been asked before and if so, I apologize in advance, but once you begin taking the bc pill all over again, will it normally make you pack on some weight?

I have been on the pill for over 12 years and I had stopped taking it right before the surgery (mainly out of fear of being able to swallow it with being swollen right after surgery) and then waited until 2 days ago to start up a new pack again. So, basically, I only missed one month. Well, my weight loss was slow but steady. I have been eating right, i.e. more Protein than anything, keeping calories low, walking on my treadmill, no fills yet - but I am dieting like a normal person to keep the weight off. And then out of nowhere I gained like 3 lbs back. I am wondering if the pill has done this. I am told to stay on it for PCOS reasons. But I just hate to see hard work unraveled! :)

I don't know the answer but will be restarting my pills soon too and am curious of what to expect. I sure hope that isnt the case but if it is I am sure it will level off.

Here's an interesting read on birth control and weight gain.

I'm on the nuva-ring personally, I think my weight gain has been because of my eating habits and I too have PCOS.

Anyway, it's worth a read:

Birth Control Pills: Weight Gain and Fluid Retention

I am in the same boat. I have PCOS too and have been on the pill since I was 18 (I am 35 now). I stopped taking my pill a month before surgery and don't want to go back on it because I know I gain a few pounds when I am on it. I am going to get the Mirena which is supposed to be side effect free and, hopefully, will keep my ovarian cysts at bay. I just don't want to have worked THIS hard to put weight on because of medicine!

I was on the pill, Yaz before my surgery. Surgeon had me stop taking the pill because they can cause blood clots. Then he asked me why I was taking birth control....told him I did not want any more kids. So, he tied my tubes while putting in the band....:) So, I don't have to worry about going back on BC and gaining weight....thank goodness!!

I am in the same boat. I have PCOS too and have been on the pill since I was 18 (I am 35 now). I stopped taking my pill a month before surgery and don't want to go back on it because I know I gain a few pounds when I am on it. I am going to get the Mirena which is supposed to be side effect free and, hopefully, will keep my ovarian cysts at bay. I just don't want to have worked THIS hard to put weight on because of medicine!

I have not even heard of Mirena, but I will ask my doc about it. I take Trinessa which is supposed to be a generic of the old skool Orthotricyclen. So I wonder if the older type pills have worse side effects. I know the PCOS is going to be a real pain in this journey and I have seriously bumped up my Protein. I have not had bread, or Pasta, or tortilla at all since like May. So frustrating being good! LOL

I have not even heard of Mirena, but I will ask my doc about it. I take Trinessa which is supposed to be a generic of the old skool Orthotricyclen. So I wonder if the older type pills have worse side effects. I know the PCOS is going to be a real pain in this journey and I have seriously bumped up my Protein. I have not had bread, or Pasta, or tortilla at all since like May. So frustrating being good! LOL

I'm had my Mirena since 2006. I'm mainly on it so I don't kill anyone. The cysts and other things were secondary benefits.

The link that I posted says something about the old school BC's and weight gain.

I wish I could go on Mirena (it's an implant that goes up in your biz, Katy) but I haven't had any babies. My OB won't put it in, something about the cervix not being dilated before.

So, I'm on the Nuva ring which is low dose too. :)

The link that I posted says something about the old school BC's and weight gain.

I wish I could go on Mirena (it's an implant that goes up in your biz, Katy) but I haven't had any babies. My OB won't put it in, something about the cervix not being dilated before.

So, I'm on the Nuva ring which is low dose too. :)

Yeah I wonder if some of the newer forms of oral BC pills might be better? I have not had kids yet either. I want to have them and that is actually one of the reasons I went forward with lapband all together. To be healthy enough to even get preggers. I did not know Mirena was an implanted type. Prolly not my cup of tea then. I know this has to be Water weight too right now, b/c my wedding ring is tight and two days ago it was lose. Oh the joys of being female.