Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Erosions VS. U.S. Erosions

Originally Posted by aneffie53

Could it be that banding in Mexico began before it was approved in the U.S. So it's a length of time with the band issue?

DOubt it, I only had my band for 19 months..it eroded between 15 months and 19 months post op.

I know for the doctor I am going to Dr. Aceves he's been doing lapbands for 7years with no problems of erosion. He uses the Inamed and was certified along with US doctors. I think what we might have to consider is that many who have lapbands are going to Mx, so there's more chances that we are going to hear of erosion stories. Think of when Gastric Bypass started here in the US, we didn't hear anything wrong for a long time but now since time has passed we are hearing different things such as the stomach stretching, leakage, death, and other complications. I hate to say this but it may just be a matter of time before US doctors start having these complications...again, I regret even having to mention this because the thought of it scares me as well. I do not wish anyone to have to go through this, it's hell enough getting the courage to do this once but then to turn around and have it removed...it's nerve wrecking! So, the best thing is to really do the research on doctors in Mexico. I've been doing research for about a year now with Dr. Aceves asking all kinds of crazy questions. I know he is VERY STRICT about the aftercare, and he wants up dates between fills, they are very in tuned with their patients and I've not heard one patient having any problems with erosion...some have had their's for at least 2-3yrs. It just may be one of those things that happen, surgery is always critical and there's always a chance...which has been been explained by Dr. Aceves to his patients the possible problems that may occur. For those who have had erosion, my heart and my prayers go out to you.

OK Guys,

Just an observation. Aren't MOST of our members banded in Mexico? I mean the folks that post actively? That would make it SEEM like most erosions were from Mexico docs when really, it isn't so. It's that most of our members were banded in MX so most of the posts on erosions are from folks banded in MX.

I think we need to take a look at that before everybody gets stressed out. You know stress is bad for the band... Hugs everybody. Deep Cleansing Breaths...

In most circumstances w/ the bypass, there is no going back.

Like you'd ever get to say the "hell with it" when it comes to weightloss, Jenna. Funny... that's the phrase that almost goes thru my mind before I EAT.

Why would anyone want to go back? I wouldn't.

As unhealthy as I may see the bypass option, after I had tried the band, I would make SURE the weight did not come back. I don't want my phrase "hell with it" to happen after I had gained back all my weight and couldn't live with the thought of being that way anymore. I was on a serious edge of a cliff even at 220 emotionally. I am sure most of us have felt this way at some point or another. Even if we don't want to admit it. I would do just about ANYTHING to keep the weight off. I know that obesity is a disease, but I definitely think there are varying degrees of how people handle that. I don't pretend to be full of self esteem, but I know that over the past few weeks I have even thought of being preventative and just switching over to bypass now.

Do I know that bypass can be deadly? Yep. But obesity is also deadly for me.

((sigh)) I just don't like the feeling of being a tick tick ticking time bomb. I feel like the band is not the "lifetime" choice it was meant to be. No one has ever made it to lifetime status because of the age of the band. Just depresses me is all. I want to feel like I have this "tool" forever. If I lost it, I would be devastated unless I had some other type of help. There is no way I would fool myself that I (not everyone, but me) would gain the weight and then some right back. Maybe a self defeating thought, but all the same, still my thoughts on it.

What to do... what to do... what to do... ((mulling it over and over and over))

Jenna I have had thoughts like you, but I have come to realize that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. I'm loving my new life, I'm loving all the compliments and attention Iam getting. I'm loving the energy I have, the new mom and wife I have become. My husband and kids are benefiting so much from my weight loss. I have my life back! There is no way I want that to change. I have OCD in a bad way, so now my OCD has a new direction.. and that is keeping this weight off. I can not wait until next years Bash so I can show up and still be thin and bandless :)