Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

McDonalds in moderation is still poison :thumbup:

And my dog beats me with a stick.

Now beating your dog with a stick is something to get up in arms about!! LOL! Seriously though, some of the earlier comments were from people who haven't had their band very long. Don't stress too much. I like your attitude that you will do the band the way it is meant. Everything (you can tolerate) in moderation. That one of the reasons I chose the band in the first place. I wasn't going to have to force myself to diet all the time. That is pretty much torture for me.

I do believe having the band you can have things in moderation. But to start off eating icecream when your still in the liquid stage of just getting banded?

McDonalds in moderation is still poison :rolleyes:

And my dog beats me with a stick.

LOL! I agree, McD is pretty bad. But it could have been a lot worse. I have read of people on the liquid portion of the post op diet getting big macs and fries.

I do believe having the band you can have things in moderation. But to start off eating icecream when your still in the liquid stage of just getting banded?

I had ice cream mixed with Protein powder and Peanut Butter to help me get enough calories. And the body does need some sugar. I did say that I didn't think it was a good choice, and could lead to future bad habits. But my main point was that she shouldn't beat herself up about it.

I seem to remember my dietician telling me that in the liquid stage there are lots of foods allowed that are not recommended later on. Things such as custard, flavoured yogurt, fruit juices etc.Fine for the liquid phase but too high cal for later.

Admittedly ice cream was on the list of foods to avoid. Not because of the high cals but because of the lack of nutritional value.

So long as this was a one off then in the big scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

I must be a really BAD bandster because whenever I get a fill I go for ice-cream afterwards. Why? Because the drive to my Dr's is approx 90 minutes each way and because it is in the same area as some of Melbournes best icecream shops. I don't get the opportunity to go there very often and as I have to remain on liquids for the rest of the day I figure icecream is a reasonable choice! I suppose the difference is that this is a planned snack and not a spur of the moment thing.

I am sure though that lots of you bandsters must be raising your eyebrows in horror! Lol

I had ice cream mixed with Protein powder and Peanut Butter to help me get enough calories. And the body does need some sugar. I did say that I didn't think it was a good choice, and could lead to future bad habits. But my main point was that she shouldn't beat herself up about it.

Guess everyone works with their band differently!

besides the higher carbs....McDonald's ice cream has the same nutritional value as 1% milk. On the liquid diet my doc encouraged me to eat lots of creamed Soup and potatoes, which are high in salt, fat and carbs, so the more I think of it I am sure I will be okay. I had a can of tuna with some split pea soup for supper...so my total calorie intake today was around 800 and lots or protein!!

Going out for an hour walk now to burn off that devil's potion (ice cream) :-)

Don't beat yourself up, omg, people are so critical, its easier to be critical to some one then supportive i guess. So you had one bad thing in your day and that was all you had all day, well guess what, the odds you will gain that 1lb in one day, is virtually slim since you took in only 400 calories. Without mistakes no learning can begin.

2 corrections needed:

1. I am a "He"

2. I am in the full liquid/mushy stages now

Sorry!!! He!!! I just see a lot more women on here than men. Sorry again!

Guess everyone works with their band differently!

Exactly. Not everyone is the same. I had a bad day once, and got a chocolate frosty from wendy's and lost a pound the next day. I thought it was a fluke, so wrote it off. Another bad day several weeks later and the same exact thing happened. I found out then that I needed to take in more calories than the 800-1000 that so many people think is the limit. I have to eat over 1500 to keep losing. It just the way my body works. Does it mean I eat a frosty every night? No. Do I justify eating frostys? Nope. I just make sure I don't do it often. But I don't beat myself up about it either. We can't deny ourselves everything because then we are just on another diet.

Exactly. Not everyone is the same. I had a bad day once, and got a chocolate frosty from wendy's and lost a pound the next day. I thought it was a fluke, so wrote it off. Another bad day several weeks later and the same exact thing happened. I found out then that I needed to take in more calories than the 800-1000 that so many people think is the limit. I have to eat over 1500 to keep losing. It just the way my body works. Does it mean I eat a frosty every night? No. Do I justify eating frostys? Nope. I just make sure I don't do it often. But I don't beat myself up about it either. We can't deny ourselves everything because then we are just on another diet.

Lol granted I would love to go to mcdonalds right now and eat I have told myself this isnt a diet anymore, its a lifestyle change. Granted one day I am sure ill have something bad for me again, but I have chosen to be healthy and to me that means no more of this junk! Again he shouldn't beat himself up, but he came here to hear what we had to say and I just think eating icecream was just a dumb idea for someone that is trying to lose weight. Again, everyone is different, they want different things, and bodies react differently.

2 corrections needed:

1. I am a "He"

2. I am in the full liquid/mushy stages now

Dude, you have to put a picture up a tag line that says, "I am a guy" :rolleyes:

If you needed something to eat and it fit into your calorie/protein/current diet needs there is no reason for guilt, in my opinion. Your choices at this point are limited, you needed food, and where before you might have had the McFlurry, with a large burger and fries...this time you paid attention to the calories and Protein values and had it alone. So, why kick yourself? Give yourself points for the positives. If you berate yourself or let others do it for you it will make losing weight a chore to be dreaded instead of a positive result of learning new behaviors.

There certainly are a lot of varying opinions about this subject. Mine is on both sides. For one thing, you should not beat yourself up for not being prepared. Just learn from the experience and move forward. However, we must live our lives, even banded, in a somewhat "normal" life. My downfall is Starbucks. So every so often I treat myself to one. I am not going to deny myself of every pleasure in life just because I'm banded. I just don't do it every day. We live and learn, so go forth and be prepared next time. And if you crave an ice cream buy a small tub from the grocery store and have a bowl once a month. But I agree with Bob that McDonald's is pretty bad for you. I avoid it like the plague. Best wishes!!!

Reading all this made me hungry for Ice Cream!! I think once a month or so is okay, but in moderation and then up your exercise for a couple of days. I have learn that some food like that are trigger foods for me and and start a whole day of craving sugar or carbs.

But I have learn to always be prepare with something with protien in it with you at all time or you will slip up.

Cheri