Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't Find My "Sweet Spot"

Feeling discouraged and disappointed. :-( So far I've lost half of the weight I need to loose (75 pounds), but it seems that I can't find my sweet spot. It is litterally Feast or Famine. I was having problems with a too-tight fill (PB, refulx, things getting stuck) so they let some out and now I think I'm too loose (getting hungry between meals and eating things that shouldn't be able to get through). I think I could get my sweet spot if they could put in thismuch, but how do you measure thismuch ? I'ved hit a brick wall, and feel like I'm never going to loose this weight. I was hoping to be at goal weight or pretty darn close by now, and now....

Maybe I'm just not meant to be thin. Maybe this is as good as it gets. My next fill is next week. I don't know...:thumbup:

The question is does the sweet spot exist?

Please forgive me here but I am going to compare the sweet spot to the G spot.

Some people swear it exists and that it enables them to have far more satisfying sex. Many people have satisfying sex but believe that if they can find the G spot it will be better so they are not totally satisfied.

I think that weight loss and the sweet spot are the same.You are successful. So far you have lost half the weight you need to lose although you have not found your sweet spot.You are looking for some magical place where you will be able to eat just the right amount,not get hungry, the weight will fall off and all this will happen automatically.Although many people swear there is a sweet spot I am not so sure.

I have lost all my excess weight but have never experienced what I imagine the sweet spot to be.I can eat small portions that keep me satisfied for a reasonable length of time but I do still get hungry. Not the kind of hunger I would have had before and it is hunger that I can deal with by having sensible planned Snacks.I certainly couldn't exist on 1/2 cup 3 times per day which is what some people seem to be looking for.

You need to be very careful of not getting too tight whilst searching for that elusive sweet spot and you also don't want to get into the fill/unfill cycle as that can cause problems.

You also say you are eating things that shouldn't be able to get through.This confuses me. What SHOULDN'T be able to get through? Ideally you should be able to eat anything. Whether or not you can or can't eat something is not a measure of perfect restriction. You have to remember that the foods which are the worst because they are high cal and low nutrition will always go through no matter how tight you are.

So maybe you should continue to focus on what you have been doing as obviously it works and stop worrying about that elusive sweet spot!

I too have hit a wall... I realized that I was falling into old habits... grabbing a SUGAR LADEN coffee drink, and not paying attention to my habits, and I started making excuses as to why I couldn't work out that day...

I went for a fill 2 wks ago & my Dr. reminded me that these are life long changes... I need to do them for ME... so when I got home I decided to refocus... started eating healthy again, not to find the sweet spot but to give my body what it truly needs... and got on a bike & I have gone back to the gym.... finally I think I am breaking my plateau... 3 lbs down!!! yay for Small victories!!!

You can do this!!!:thumbup:

In all honesty the 'sweet spot' I think has alot to do with your mind and head hunger as well. Even with the 'sweet spot' that many people claim there is, you can eat things that you shouldn't eat. The band is only a tool. It does take alot of hard work. And I think many people fall short of remembering that. You can't just place the band and expect it to work for you. Also bad habits don't go away because we get banded. They unfortunately it will haunt you for the rest of your life. Honestly I can go 4-5 hours between meals without feeling hungry but I can pick up a snack in the middle or some chips or things that I really shouldn't BE eating if I am not constantly talking to myself and telling myself that I have gotten this far and I'm not giving up now.

I think you are doing great. Keep up the awesome work. And talk to your doctor about what you are feeling right now. That is what he/she is there for. Try hard to not give into temptations. Measure your food. But reward yourself once and awhile for the hard work that you have already accomplished. This isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle change. Don't deprive yourself of the good things once and awhile.

You can do it!!! :thumbup: