Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you feel about "born-agains"?

Thanks, Will Be Healthy, for your support. What age level do you teach? I wish I had had someone like you for a teacher. I am sure you challenge your students.

I am a retired elementary teacher (second career) and retired early because at that age parents want Mary Poppins and Mother Teresa and I am neither and I grew weary of weak kneed administrators who said "How high" when parents said "Jump".

I also suspect that I struck a nerve with PG with this issue because I have taken the time to prove her posts wrong over and over again. And when I do, she never admits she was wrong. It's just ignored. That's why she comes after me more than anyone else.

You don’t need anyone’s support, CM.

You are a strong person who defends herself well, principled, and frank.

As you and others have observed before there are just so many logical fallacies in PG’s posts occasionally we have to call her on them. I don’t know if shining a bright light on a few of the more obvious ones will prove prescriptive but having done so the cat is out of the bag (portions of this post are purposefully dumbed down so LoserBob can follow along; notice his penchant for the foul and ad hominem? It is like encountering a prose version of Tourette syndrome).

As to the grade level question, I worked primarily in the extended day program at three community colleges so the students ranged from just out of high school to retired and keeping busy. An overwhelming portion were working people who found out the piece of paper -- a degree -- was something needed to advance in many lines of work and the harsh realization of the real world of work. Like Thoreau's famous observation, the vast majority were living lives of quiet desperation, in jobs lacking their personal passion; so unlike the day students I seldom needed to address motivation.

Two thirds of the courses I instructed were remedial courses in grammar and composition; I had a few regular freshman comp courses and every so often a literature or film class. But mostly remedial English. The really tough thing for them was this course offered no credits toward graduation, a prerequisite to enter the credited freshman comp class. So for a semester it was a life on hold. Knowing that I vowed to provide them quality and purpose.

And to my surprise I truly loved it. There was just something magical about seeing someone push aside all the previous negative and artificial barriers, all the baggage of failure and disappointment, and finally get it, knowing they did it themselves. My task was to become a meticulous gardener with varying tasks like pointing out the weeds to remove, how to get more sunlight, what nutrients made them develop and which ones made them wither. I approached it pragmatically, but at the core I came to understand it was poetry or at least a heavy reliance on metaphors and similes (sorry, Bob, I can just imagine how you are spinning and spewing tic after tic right now). By this I mean I was using the known to explain the unknown. You don’t need to know what a dependent clause is; what you need to know is how to use one. Process over product.

There is so much non-sense in the structure of composition when fundamentals are clearly the foundation and in that foundation are basic, simple and easy elements that you and I already know by the time we are adults. Arrangement and selection will determine how stable a foundation and that takes some practice, but it is something everyone can master. Later on comes experimenting and having patience -- finesse skills like mastering a topspin return in tennis or shaping a ball in golf. This is the drywall, plaster, and glue for constructing an essay. Then there are choices like texture and fabric but without everything that came before these adornments are pointless. Interim and later Final inspection follow: learning to review what you have done with a critical eye is a matter of understanding exactly who is your audience and what is your purpose in writing. Editing is the fun stuff. The heavy lifting can become fun but it is founded in work, repetition, and the basics.

Sorry for the waxing there.

In short, I loved teaching, and since I held them to the same standards as the day classes, I was very tough on all my students but empathetic, too. Most importantly they earned everything they accomplished. It's the same lesson we learn when we work to buy a car, a new suit, a present for someone we love: when you work for something important to you, it means more than if someone simply hands it to you.

You are a great cyber friend and kindred spirit.

God’s peace and love to you, CM.

Then she says politically shes smarter than most on here. I dont think because you paste newspaper articles your smarter. Again, you say you use facts, facts youve clipped or read about in one of your(Dem)biased papers. You know as well as me you cant believe what is printed in papers because the articles are usually skewed in some way depending on the beliefs of the person writing them. Look at the Trib and Post Gazzette, same stories with different outcomes because of who's writing them. You listen to CNN, Patty listens to Fox, you believe in CNN and she believes in Fox. Why is she wrong and your right?(I do agree, she's wrong) Just like the bible wasnt written by Jesus, so everyones interpretation is different and right to that person! Facts in politics are very hard to come by unless you see it or hear it yourself. If your not sure your getting the full story the way it really happened(because of possible cover-ups, conspiracies or biases) then you can only call it your opinion which is in no way anymore right than anyone elses!

As you and others have observed before there are just so many logical fallacies in PG’s posts occasionally we have to call her on them. I don’t know if shining a bright light on a few of the more obvious ones will prove prescriptive but having done so the cat is out of the bag (portions of this post are purposefully dumbed down so LoserBob can follow along; notice his penchant for the foul and ad hominem? It is like encountering a prose version of Tourette syndrome).

As to the grade level question, I worked primarily in the extended day program at three community colleges so the students ranged from just out of high school to retired and keeping busy. An overwhelming portion were working people who found out the piece of paper -- a degree -- was something needed to advance in many lines of work and the harsh realization of the real world of work. Like Thoreau's famous observation, the vast majority were living lives of quiet desperation, in jobs lacking their personal passion; so unlike the day students I seldom needed to address motivation.

Two thirds of the courses I instructed were remedial courses in grammar and composition; I had a few regular freshman comp courses and every so often a literature or film class. But mostly remedial English. The really tough thing for them was this course offered no credits toward graduation, a prerequisite to enter the credited freshman comp class. So for a semester it was a life on hold. Knowing that I vowed to provide them quality and purpose.

And to my surprise I truly loved it. There was just something magical about seeing someone push aside all the previous negative and artificial barriers, all the baggage of failure and disappointment, and finally get it, knowing they did it themselves. My task was to become a meticulous gardener with varying tasks like pointing out the weeds to remove, how to get more sunlight, what nutrients made them develop and which ones made them wither. I approached it pragmatically, but at the core I came to understand it was poetry or at least a heavy reliance on metaphors and similes (sorry, Bob, I can just imagine how you are spinning and spewing tic after tic right now). By this I mean I was using the known to explain the unknown. You don’t need to know what a dependent clause is; what you need to know is how to use one. Process over product.

There is so much non-sense in the structure of composition when fundamentals are clearly the foundation and in that foundation are basic, simple and easy elements that you and I already know by the time we are adults. Arrangement and selection will determine how stable a foundation and that takes some practice, but it is something everyone can master. Later on comes experimenting and having patience -- finesse skills like mastering a topspin return in tennis or shaping a ball in golf. This is the drywall, plaster, and glue for constructing an essay. Then there are choices like texture and fabric but without everything that came before these adornments are pointless. Interim and later Final inspection follow: learning to review what you have done with a critical eye is a matter of understanding exactly who is your audience and what is your purpose in writing. Editing is the fun stuff. The heavy lifting can become fun but it is founded in work, repetition, and the basics.

In short, I loved teaching, and since I held them to the same standards as the day classes, I was very tough on all my students but empathetic, too. Most importantly they earned everything they accomplished. It's the same lesson we learn when we work to buy a car, a new suit, a present for someone we love: when you work for something important to you, it means more than if someone simply hands it to you.

Inshortthatcracksmeuptherewasnothingshortaboutit

Icouldntevenmakeitthroughthatbswithoutfalingasleep

youmusthavealotoftimeonyourhandstokeepbabblingonandonaboutsomethingyoucouldhavesaidinonesentence

Then she says politically shes smarter than most on here. I dont think because you paste newspaper articles your smarter. Again, you say you use facts, facts youve clipped or read about in one of your(Dem)biased papers. You know as well as me you cant believe what is printed in papers because the articles are usually skewed in some way depending on the beliefs of the person writing them. Look at the Trib and Post Gazzette, same stories with different outcomes because of who's writing them. You listen to CNN, Patty listens to Fox, you believe in CNN and she believes in Fox. Why is she wrong and your right?(I do agree, she's wrong) Just like the bible wasnt written by Jesus, so everyones interpretation is different and right to that person! Facts in politics are very hard to come by unless you see it or hear it yourself. If your not sure your getting the full story the way it really happened(because of possible cover-ups, conspiracies or biases) then you can only call it your opinion which is in no way anymore right than anyone elses!

I don't just watch cable news. I read on the internet and I read books, too. How do you get your news and form your opinions?

And I research my facts in several ways. If you have something that disproves what I cut and paste, or any other facts that I post, then share it. If you don't, then don't dismiss what I have posted.

You may be confused. But I am not. She said that she was smarter than anyone else who posts here.

[Cleo's QUOTE]I am better educated than most american people. That is just a fact. I don't know what the educational level is of those who post here.

What I do know is that when it comes to political debate (which is what I post about) I am much smarter than most of the posters here [end]

She feels like Gus: "Just once I'd like to shoot at an educated man."

So, what I said she said, is what she said!

Here's what I actually said. Did you go to the Andrew Breibart school of editing?

What I do know is that when it comes to political debate (which is what I post about) I am much smarter than most of the posters here who often start from a place of hate for ________(fill in the blank) and then go from there.

Smarter than those who don't know any facts and just start from a position of hate.

And as for being better educated than most Americans - well a little less than 30% of Americans have college degrees so what is not true or factual about this statement?

And I would like people on these boards to be better informed about subjects before they post. I know that won't happen. Many subjects are emotionally charged and that is the position from which they start. These posters are not open to looking at the facts - they just want to post false information because that's how they feel. Like teabaggers who say Pres. Obama has raised their taxes when he has not. But the facts won't sway them because they hate Obama (do I really need to post the pictures??) and aren't interested in facts.

That's what "just once I'd like to shoot at an educated man" means but I must have touched a nerve with you since you're still yapping about it. You must be having feeling of inferority or something to be so consumed with this. You know, the whole, I think thou protest too much thing.

I wasnt aware we where being graded on our proper use of the english language, writing composition or any other boring, boring, boring, boring, fall asleep bullshit you taught!

Holy motherf-ing boring!

No wonder I never thought of my teachers as being normal. I cant imagine being your family member. Always having to listen to you speaking like that, they probably walk around like zombies, half asleep all the time, being corrected for everything they do.

Again, holy mfing boring, Im going to bed Im tired!

Will-be, Ill break it down for you, you know, "teach" you how to save time!

Paragraph 1

Patty, your wrong, my new bestest friend and I said so.Hey Cleos, lets expose her!

Paragraph 2

I bored the living hell out of my students(class, wake up!)

Paragraph 3

I taught dumb people and had a hard time motivating them (then blames the non-motivation on lack of credits). Hey dumb asses, wake up!

Paragraph 4

People realized they had to work for what they want, no handouts in life.

Oh, Loserbob, your stupid!

Paragraph 5

Insert boring here!

Paragraph 6

I really loved teaching NAP-TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleos, I love you for I dont have any other friends!

Thats the Dummy version!

Edited by loserbob

You may be confused. But I am not. She said that she was smarter than anyone else who posts here.

[Cleo's QUOTE]I am better educated than most american people. That is just a fact. I don't know what the educational level is of those who post here.

What I do know is that when it comes to political debate (which is what I post about) I am much smarter than most of the posters here [end]

She feels like Gus: "Just once I'd like to shoot at an educated man."

So, what I said she said, is what she said!

Patty, that last sentence didnt sound correct, I think you used to many pronouns or verbs or something, it just doesnt sound right. Will-be, bore me, I mean help me out please!

Patty, that last sentence didnt sound correct, I think you used to many pronouns or verbs or something, it just doesnt sound right. Will-be, bore me, I mean help me out please!

I have to say, that really made me chuckle!:cursing:

[quote name=loserbob;

My point is' date=' everyone has their niche, mine happens to be plumbing, mechanical field. Cleos, you claim to help with running dem campaigns so I would hope you know more than most. You say your more educated than most and that might be a fact but it doesnt mean your smarter than most! You seem to have more interest than most about this subject.

Smarter? Better informed? You say potAto I say pot ah to. From being on these threads for 2 years and reading all the political posts I think I can make that statement. I doubt most posters put in the time or trouble to study political subjects like I do. that is my full time "job" at this point in my life.

I don't just watch cable news. I read on the internet and I read books, too. How do you get your news and form your opinions?

And I research my facts in several ways. If you have something that disproves what I cut and paste, or any other facts that I post, then share it. If you don't, then don't dismiss what I have posted.

I do all the same but I take bits and pieces of what I believe to be true and form my opinions, you are saying you gather your "facts" from these sources like they cant be wrong, key word here, facts! Im not saying it never happens(these being reliable sources) but its rarely 100% accurate. Hence the saying,"you cant always believe what you read".

Again, all reliable sources Im sure!

I did not post anything about muslims or mexican immigrants, for one thing. I just wanted to clear that up.

And in defense of what you say, I want to remind you that just because a person does not approve of, or agree with what others do, or how they act does not mean that they HATE them. When you say that it is "hate" you really make yourself look stupid, and like you can't come up with anything else, so as a final grab, you label them. (Haters)

So, your neighbor who listens to hard rock at 3AM every night. You "hate" them? Or is it that you don't like the fact that they wake you at 3AM? The family member who steals from you. You "hate" them? Or is it that you don't like the fact that they take your things without asking you first? Seriously! I thought you being as educated as you are, you would understand the difference.

No hate in the posts below. :cursing: And I guess the Nazis didn't hate the Jews, they just killed them because they didn't like that they weren't christians. Nothing personal, mind you.

"Alright, listen up. We need to open our eyes. There are over 2 million illegal immigrants bedding down in this state tonight! This state spent $3 billion last year, on services for those people who have no right to be here!$3 billion! $400 million just to lock up a bunch of illegal immigrant criminals, who only got into this country because the fuckin' INS decided, "It's not worth the effort to screen for convicted felons!" Who gives a shit? Our government doesn't give a shit! Our border policy's a joke! So, is anybody surprised that south of the border, they're laughing at us? Laughing at our laws? Every night, thousands of these parasites stream across the border like some fucking piñata exploded...There's nothin' funny goin' on here! This is about your life and mine; it's about decent, hard working Americans falling through the cracks and getting the shaft because their government cares more about the constitutional rights of a bunch of people who aren't even citizens of this country! On the Statue of Liberty it says "give me your tired your hungry, your poor..." well it's Americans who are tired and hungry and poor, and I say until you take care of that, close the fucking book! 'Cause we're losing, we're losing our right to pursue our destiny, we're losing our freedom, so that a bunch of fucking foreigners can come in here and exploit our country! And this isn't something that's going on far away, this isn't something that's happening places we cant do anything about it, it's happening right here, right in our neighborhood...I see this shit going on and I don't see anyone doing anything about it...and it fuckin' pisses me off!! So look around you,this isn't our fuckin' neighborhood this is a battlefield, we are on a battlefield tonight..make a decision: are we gonna stand by the sidelines quietly while our country gets raped? "Fuck no!!" are we gonna ante-up and do something about it? "FUCK YEAHH!!!...you're goddamn right we are!!"

Unfuc@ing believable!!! While we're at it why dont we put a Japanese war memorial at Pearl Harbor! We're not fighting for our(American)rights anymore. I think we should remove the statue of liberty and put a statue of Mohammed in her place(I dont know if I spelled Mohammed right and I dont give a flying mother-fu@#)!! Better yet, the Islamo-nuts are probably planning that as we speak!

And Ive actually wondered why people "go crazy". We're being told we're doing the right thing, fighting for our country,the only good thing is we get to kill alot of these nut-jobs, man is that satisfying! Then we come home and find out there is a mosque at Ground Zero, the very reason alot of soldiers became soldiers! Man, right now I envisioning what a 50 cal bullet fired from a sniper rifle does to a terrorist, islamo nutjob piece of shit! Again, so satisfying and gratifying! My grandfather is "turning over in his grave right now"!

And I also used the words disdain, contempt and looking down on and MANY of your posts about those receiving government aid are full of all of these. I rest my case. Case closed!!!

Edited by Cleo's Mom

Dismissed!

Also, you never answered my question. Is it ok to change the federal immigration law and allow illegals who are already here to become legal?

People are free to try to change zoning laws. But we are a nation of laws and if this mosque/community center is privately owned and doesn't violate the current zoning laws, EXACTLY what would you like "big" government to do? Step in and stop it? Then what would prevent them from stopping a evangelical church from being built somewhere? Or a Jewish temple? Or (horrors!) an gun store near the Oklahoma bombing site (it might offend those who lost loved ones since Tim McVeigh loved guns and was in one of those militia groups at one time) ...you see where this is going? You can't present a problem without presenting a solution.