Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! My pants are too big!

My first reaction: YAY! MY PANTS ARE TOO BIG!:thumbup:

My second reaction: OH NO! MY PANTS ARE TOO BIG! :)

I am very hippy and my waistbands have become rediculously huge. I tried a belt and it created an obscene gap in the front and looked horrible. I went to have them altered but it was really expensive. I thought about buying new pants, but am worried that I'll have the same problem after a month or so and will have wasted my money. Soooo... my question is: Does anyone have any cheap/effective ways to keep your pants up and extend the lifetime of your wardrobe?

I don't have any suggestions I just wanted to say that is great that your pants are too big!!!! Do you mind me asking when you were banded and how much you have lost so far? I am 15 days post op and not losing much but my clothes feel alot looser so don't know if its inches I am losing just a little frustrated!!!!

I am planning to dust off my sewing machine so I don't have to buy new clothes until I am at least 2 sizes smaller. I would think that you could stitch wide elastic on the inside of the waist band to temporarily tighten the gap. Check with your friends...someone probably has a sewing machine. Since it would be on top, not inside the waistband, just a couple rows of zig-zag stitches would do...not rocket science.

I have the same problem--good problem, but inconvenient. I now only have 4 pair that I can wear to work. I have no casual pants and only 4 pairs of capris that look descent.

I just went shopping for pants last weekend. for casual pants and shorts, I bought things with drawstrings. That way, you can adjust the waist more easily. For dress pants, you just have to bite the bullet and buy new ones. I bought two pairs of slacks. Hopefully, I can give them to Goodwill in a few months, along with the rest of my old clothes.

It's a great feeling, isn't it??:thumbup:

About three weeks ago I was in panic mode about this! First think how cool it is, then remember it is only a temporary problem. I found once they got to be about 6 sizes too big they were just too big and had to go. Then I found everything in the closet the next smallest size I had that fit. I think I may have hit the thresh hold there. My newest trick is covering tight pants with loose shirts. I bought the tightest pair of pants I could get into and walk in without fear of popping a seam so I could get the most out of them. It is nearly the end of school year so I will not buy new dress pants until late August. Of all the problems to have I think this is the best one. Try thrift shops and clothing exchanges to get new stuff to hold you over until you get to goal.

It might not be a bad idea to give the clothes to Salvation Army - here in Canada that is a Christian organization that has very little overhead as opposed to some other charities. I have bought dress pants from goodwill for work and they are just fine - you probably won't even need them for too long so why spend so much money on new ones.

:biggrin::)

I just went shopping for pants last weekend. for casual pants and shorts, I bought things with drawstrings. That way, you can adjust the waist more easily. For dress pants, you just have to bite the bullet and buy new ones. I bought two pairs of slacks. Hopefully, I can give them to Goodwill in a few months, along with the rest of my old clothes.

It's a great feeling, isn't it??:thumbup:

Bella, once again you are doing great on your short term goal!

I have given up on buying pants/capris/shorts this Summer. And, then having to buy tops too that will coordinate. So, I'm buying all dresses instead. I've had great luck at Ross and Target and have bought several dresses that were all around $25 and very flattering. I also think I'll be able to wear them longer than a pair of pants since they are not fitted around the waist or hips. For strapless dresses or tank top styles, I bought a couple of shrugs. So, I can still wear those to church and other places where I don't feel comfortable going sleeveless.

I have that problem too. And I don't really want to spend money on new pants. so I just get safety pins and put them in before I put them on.

I did one time go to get some pants taken in on the bottom, narrowed, and she charged me $17.00 then an extra $11 bucks to hem them up. I only paid 14.99 for the pants so it was way too much. Those pants I had altered last month are now way too big on the wasteband, so it was a complete waste of money.

Congrats!! i also have gone through this- i try to buy stuff on clearance or at least on sale as I know it wont fit for more than 2 months. Also, I bought things a size smaller- when I tried stuff on I got the size that was a little tight.

I have taken this as part of the whole process and it is a little frustrating in that something that looks good this week may be a little saggy next month. Not to mention the expense- I dont want to keep replacing my wardrobe so I have been getting one or two things here and there.I have to wear uniforms for work so I have to keep buying new uniforms as well.

All progress, take it as such and enjoy it.

My first reaction: YAY! MY PANTS ARE TOO BIG!:thumbup:

My second reaction: OH NO! MY PANTS ARE TOO BIG! :biggrin:

I am very hippy and my waistbands have become rediculously huge. I tried a belt and it created an obscene gap in the front and looked horrible. I went to have them altered but it was really expensive. I thought about buying new pants, but am worried that I'll have the same problem after a month or so and will have wasted my money. Soooo... my question is: Does anyone have any cheap/effective ways to keep your pants up and extend the lifetime of your wardrobe?

If you know anyone at all with a sewing machine, they can dart up the waist at the back of the waistband. It will make a huge difference in how the pants fit. If you can't find someone, just call around and see how much it costs to have them altered. Sometimes you can get this done for less than $10 and it will help you get some more use out of them without them exposing you when they fall off.:)

My doctor's office has occasional clothing swaps. Ask your doc and if not perhaps you could ask them to hold one? Congratulations on your weight loss!

Try to find a good consignment shop. The one I shop at is very picky about the clothes they accept so the clothes I buy there are in great shape. A really nice pair of jeans is around $10-12 . . . much cheaper than a brand new pair. As an added bonus, you can take your clothes that are too big and the shop will sell them for you. You can take store credit to buy smaller stuff or they will give you money.

I don't have any suggestions I just wanted to say that is great that your pants are too big!!!! Do you mind me asking when you were banded and how much you have lost so far? I am 15 days post op and not losing much but my clothes feel alot looser so don't know if its inches I am losing just a little frustrated!!!!

I just went to my post-op appointment today and have lost 10.8 pounds, which my doctor said was on target. :thumbup: he also said to only expect another 20 tops by the 6 week mark, which is when i'll get my first fill. he said it gets better after that.

as for the pants - they were kinda big to begin with. i had lost about 60 pounds in the last couple years and had tried to go shopping but failed. nothing fit right, so now i'm a bit behind the 8 ball.

thank you all for the great suggestions! i found out a local hospital is hosting a clothes swap in 3 weeks, so i'm going to that. i also met a girl at the doctor's office who lost 200 and is in year 6 of her banding. she still has a lot of her old clothes and is going to help me out. :laugh: craigslist was also helpful. there were lots of postings for used plus size clothes.