Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scared to death!!!!!!!!!

I am seriously thinking of Lap-Band surgery but I am scared to death. Please tell me I'm not making the mistake of my life!!! Yet, I might not have much life left if I don't do this. I just need someone to talk to about this.

Why are you scared???

No way! I'm only a week and a half out and I LOVE it! You have no idea what a relief it is to know that you CAN'T overeat the way you used to. It has been amazing. It's scary to think about... but it's much scarier before (and thinking about it constantly) than it is after... trust me. Don't be scared :biggrin:

The only mistake you are making is being obese for the rest of your life. If you don't get the band, you'll still have to lose the weight somehow. If you are scared talk to your normal doctor and see if you can get on some kind of weight loss program Go see a nutritionist. Do that for a couple of months and see if you still want the band.

Im scheduled for June 28th and I am scared also, But from what I have been reading, this is normal! I am afraid of the unknown, of how hard it will be, what if I fail? etc. I am also afraid of the surgery, though, I know the risk are low, there are risk. But at this point, I feel the risk of not doing it are greater than doing it! my back and knees ache, I get out of breath on short hikes, I am tired all the time. I want the old me back! I want to be able to cross my legs and feel like a woman again. I want to be proud of the person in the mirror. I am so glad that I found these forums, they have helped me see some of the issues, challenges, fears and relief that other people in this situation have.

I had never had surgery (except for wisdom tooth removal and a plantar fascitis repair) and was nervous about it. I had gone to the surgery center before for spinal infusions, so I was familiar with their procedures and that helped. What had me flat out terrified was the post-op pan because icannot take anything related to codeine...and that lets out almost all prescription pain meds. So I was left with Tylenol and Aleve, but decided to tough it out anyway. I'm so glad I did. I think the pain fron the foot operation was far worse...and it was bearable. So was this. I had two lousy days and it was like being sick...nothing excruciating, I assure you. If you educate yourself about exactly what they are doing to you during the procedure..maybe visit the facility where it will take place....and what is happening during the post-op period you will be less anxious and feel like you are more in control. I think that makes the pain less. I'd feel a twinge and think, Oh, must be part of the hernia repair, so it just didn't make me scared and tense, which could mke it hurt more. It passed quickly. The worst and longest was the pain from the port...and knowing what it is and learning how to move to avoid it makes it better. Plus, I'm sure you are a normal person who can take a pain med and sail right through those two days.

Oh, and another thing, anti-inflammatories are not to be dismissed lightly. Instead of pain meds...or with them...you can ask your doctor for them because a lot of pain is from inflammation. As an Sjogren's sufferer I can attest to that. When I went to the nutritionist I mentioned it and she recommended tart cherry juice. Usually i don't believe magic cures but after researching it I decided to try. Wow! 8 oz a day really made a difference and is a lot eaasier on the stomach than pills. It has to be the pure "tart" cherries...not the sweet. And it is tart...I add sugar to it because I don't use artificial sweeteners but Sweet and Low or any other would probably dissolve better. Think I'll mke another post in the general section come to think of it. But it helped a lot post-op.

Edited by tinksmom

Nani, what about it is scaring you? The surgery itself, or the alteration of your body?

It's true that surgery carries with it some risk. The preoperative screening process, though, is very thorough, and does help identify issues that can pose problems. By the time you hit the OR, your surgeon will know exactly what issues to watch out for---and can address them to keep you safe.

If being banded itself is worrisome to you, know that it is very minimally invasive. The body just is not altered very much at all. A band is placed around your stomach, and it exerts gentle pressure. Can problems arise as a result? Yes, but they are infrequent and usually easily corrected.

The risks of obesity, on the other hand, are far greater.

Aside from reducing those risks, you will look and feel so much better. There is something so gratifying about being in control of weight. It is positively freeing.

I do understand your fears; I think they are quite normal. But when you reframe the risks v. benefits, it becomes pretty clear that taking no action is far riskier than having the surgery.

Good luck with your decision!

As an Sjogren's sufferer I can attest to that. When I went to the nutritionist I mentioned it and she recommended tart cherry juice. Usually i don't believe magic cures but after researching it I decided to try. Wow! 8 oz a day really made a difference
I am allergic to NSAIDs--and have fibromyalgia and a host of neuro/ortho things (disks, knees, etc) related to a long-ago accident. Pain has always been difficult to manage due to my allergy. But when I added dark cherries to my diet several years ago, the results were astounding. 10 cherries a day--as effective as popping meds, seriously!

And the good thing is that the post-banding diet really limits the stuff that is least good for us from the inflammation standpoint, as well!

I was just banded Wednesday and let me tell you, the weekend and few days leading up to the surgery was emotional for me. I was scared, I was crying. That is all normal, really. I think the band is going to be the best thing I ever did. I just have to work with it not against it. The surgery is over and I really don't feel bad. I had some shoulder/back pain but not a lot and walking and using a heating pad on my back did wonders. The port site is the worst part of it. I had a hernia repair and it was right above my port site. I think that hurts worse than the port. I am sore and tender there.

It's all about following the eating guidelines to be successful. I know someone who had it but she does not following the eating guidelines and her band has slipped twice. She has only lost 10 lbs in 4 months. It's a tool and you can use it or abuse it.

I only wish I had done it sooner!!!

Waiting is the hardest part. Too much time and you get all sorts of crazy thoughts in your head.

I am only 11 days post op and lost 13lbs so far, and no more blood pressure med's or acid reflux meds. It has been an awesome feeling to not wake up with little flashes in front of my eyes from my blood pressure!!!!! I am so glad I did it, and it has definitely already taught me how to eat right and I have been doing 20 minute walks!!!!! I am so glad this tool is out there for us to take full advantage of!!!!! P.S I was scared to death to but so glad I did it.