Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In need of comments and identifiers.

My question is kinda hard to explain but I hope that I can explain it well enough that people that have experienced the same feelings can give me some feedback. I do realize that when I start to feel the "burn" in my chest that I have either eaten too much or not chewed well enough or taken too big of a bite....but even though I do have those warnings...if I slow down, I can and do eat a lot. Probably about 1-2 cups. I read about people having pb's or actually vomiting, and to me that is a sure sign that you need to change what or how much you eat - change something. Besides the uncomfortable feeling - which I can get past or tolerate unless it is too bad...I have only had pb's 2-3 times. Isn't that the ultimate sign that you should not eat any more?:bored:

I was banded on 2/26/10 and my weight loss has come to a halt in the last 2 weeks. I am asking for constructive comments. I would also like to hear from banded people who have experienced the same feelings...common sense tells me that everyone is an individual and is/feels different, but maybe this is my only indication that I need to slow down, stop, chew more or avoid certain things because I am not at restriction. (at least I don't think I am...I would know wouldn't I?) I have always been a big eater. In other words I can eat alot...especially when It comes to sweets. Have almost no willpower. :glare: A

I'm at about 5cc in a 10cc band. Right after a fill I get that tightness in my chest when my pouch is full, but that goes away after a few days. Sometimes I feel like the food is getting stuck as it travels down my esophagus. If I wait a bit that feeling subsides and I "could" eat more. For me the key is simply not put more than 1/2 to 1 cup of food in my pouch. You don't want to stop eating only because you're band puts the hurt on you. Also, you don't want to be filled so tight that you feel sick whenever you eat. Your sweet spot is when you can eat the right portion size and you're not hungry in between meals.

As for plateaus, I was banded around the same time as you and also experienced that. What got the scale moving again was a reality check. I realized the band was only going to help with Portion Control and hunger and the rest was up to me. When I added added 1/2 hour of walking, made sure I got around 70 gm of Protein, and counted my calories so I didn't go over 1,000 the pounds started to drop off. I too was getting discouraged but seeing the scale go down again has been a huge relief! The band doesn't do it all and like any other weight loss program you need to rely on willpower to control yourself. I've always had a problem with that too as I think most obese people do. When the scale didn't move I felt I was failing and had to get tough with myself and kick it up a notch. The reward of dropping pounds is fantastic. You can do it! :bored:

Before I had restriction, I had no concept of "stuck" (other than what occurred immediately postop with a pain pill), PBing, vomiting, or the oft-described chest-tightness.

It wasn't until I approached restriction that these sensations developed any meaning for me. And I still haven't really experienced PBing; I've vomited.

Sometimes, this is a sign that I need to do something differently. Other times, it's pretty arbitrary. Bands can be fickle, and there are just times where things don't go down well for me. (For example, I've learned that when I am just about to get my period, I get stuck--on foods that I eat in small bites, chew thoroughly, etc. There is no way of knowing when this is going to occur, with any certainty. It happens when it happens, and it's my signal to eat soft foods and use Protein shakes for a day or so.)

As for plateaus, in my experience they simply require waiting it out. If you're eating the way you should, then loss will resume after your body figures out that it's okay to let go of the weight.

OTOH, your post implies that your diet might have room for improvement. If so, and if you want to continue to lose as you work toward good restriction, then you just can't fall back on the "no willpower" excuse. You'll have to muster it up, and eat in a way that promotes weight loss. Just 'cause you can eat a lot doesn't mean you should :bored:

I was banded on February 1st and definitely know what you're talking about. I could eat a lot if I wanted to and only have that occasional burning sensation to remind me that the band is in place. I'm not hungry between meals so it is working, but if I had time enough to chew a lot I could eat some pretty impressive portions. I've never PB'd or gotten stuck. I have been exercising a good deal but my weight loss has also stalled. I'm just trying to maintain until my next fill. I wish I had some answers for you! I'd just say that you're not fully restricted yet and that some exercise couldn't hurt if you're not already doing some. Best of luck!

Hi guys...thanks for feedback.:thumbup: My husband and I are going on vacation - leaving tomorrow - and I will be conscious of my stats, but I know I won't be ready to give 100% until we get home on 5/17/10. But then I will be ready to see a change. I realize I've got the tools now - I've just got to do it. Take care everone...I'll be posting soon.(I'm also taking my laptop...so) Actually, I am becoming addicted to this site...read posts every night and have to make myself get off the laptop and go to sleep.:thumbup:

Edited by dees-only-girl

It is true you don't have to eat until you are stuffed. The band helps but we do need to employ common sense. I can snack too, way too much and have let myself get into that a few times. I just have a talk with myself and figure out what else I can do with the time I am looking for Snacks. Lately I have been walking during the time I typically feel snacky. It gets my mind on something else for long enough to get me over it... I am sure you can find a way to get past this problem also. You may even be due for another fill!! Hugs!!!!

Regarding your weight loss halt...

I have been struggling with this for awhile. I was so upset to not see the scale continue on the downward slide. But, at the height of my irritation at the lack of wt loss, I had 3 coworkers tell me that I was "disappearing." I thought a lot about what they said and relaized my pants were feeling bigger. I did not take my measurements before surgery and sure wish I would've. If you are working out, maybe the scale is not going down but your body is changing for the better.

Enjoy the vacation.