Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was approved :) and I have a date!

I started the process in October and now it is finally going to happen. The surgeons office called me last night and told me I was approved and my surgery date will be July 13th. I thought I would be happier about this, I am so sure this is what I want. I have done so much research and gone to so many support groups, but now I can't help feeling nervous and scared...is this normal???

I started the process in October and now it is finally going to happen. The surgeons office called me last night and told me I was approved and my surgery date will be July 13th. I thought I would be happier about this, I am so sure this is what I want. I have done so much research and gone to so many support groups, but now I can't help feeling nervous and scared...is this normal???

EVERY person gets 'cold feet' before the process. It's very normal what you are feeling. After all it is surgery. I will tell you from my point of view this is the best thing that I could have ever done for myself. The only regret that I have is not getting it done sooner. I promise you the results are awesome. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and before you know it, you will be there. Hang in there. You have come this far. You can do it!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :bored:

Thanks for your reply. I have never had surgery, so I can't help feeling this way. Your reply made me feel a little bit better, I mean I know in the end it will all be worth it. Congratulations on your weightloss, you seem to be doing great!

It is very normal to be nervous and scared. I've had two previous surgeries in my life and I was nervous before both of them. I'm sure I'll be nervous when my day comes to be banded. You would be a robot if you didn't have these emotions. Good Luck to you!

Thanks for your reply. I have never had surgery, so I can't help feeling this way. Your reply made me feel a little bit better, I mean I know in the end it will all be worth it. Congratulations on your weightloss, you seem to be doing great!

Basically you will go to sleep and before you know it you will wake up. You will have a tube down your throat when you are asleep that will be out when you wake up. You may have a slight sore throat from the tube. Your stomach will be sore from the incisions but you will have pain medication. Most have a morphine pump. I suggest using the pain medication when you are feeling a little pain and not waiting until it hurts more because it takes a while for the morphine to get into your system. The first thing that you will find is that you are not hungry. It's honestly amazing. Yes you will have pain but it's not to awfully bad. You may have some gas which some tend to feel in your shoulder. That's from they air that they pump into you during the surgery so they can see better. Gas-X strips help with this. Also a heating pad. Most of all you just want to make sure that you walk to help pass this gas out of your system and to also help prevent blood clots.

As with any surgery there are complications but they are rare.

It will all be over faster than you can imagine. Meanwhile make sure you read as much as possible before hand so that you know what to do after you have the band. And of course if you have any questions please feel free to ask. You can add me as a friend if you like or email cc-dmtermini@comcast.net and you can also check out my blog. It has alot of information on it that may help you.

Hi Nancy, greetings from another Nancy!

It is entirely normal to feel doubts, even when you have been so focused on jumping those hoops. I had my surgery on April 22 and I can tell you that I felt those doubts too. Throughout this process I pursued my goal of having the surgery in a very proactive way: researched it about a year ago, found my insurance had an iron-clad "NO bariatric" clause, waited patiently till last fall when the policy renewal came out, found it had changed, starting attending seminars and reading everything I could get my paws on, etc etc. You know the details: psych eval, nutritionist, more insurance hoops, etc. Then when I got the approval I had about a day of "YAY!!!" before the "...ulp..." set in.

Although this sounds corny, it did help me. I made a list of the pros and cons. I found my pro's included some things that were obvious, like enjoying clothing shopping again and getting my pernicious blood pressure down, but there were other things, too. For me, it is getting OFF the diet merrygoround. I have been so very focused on my weight for 20 years, so very absorbed in dieting, so very frustrated at failing in my diets, so much guilt and even shame. I look forward to ending this cycle! I am starting my second career, in the health care field, and being obese is not a plus in my work. Interestingly, these are the things that help me when I am struggling.

Hang in there, Nancy! although my surgery is still so recent, and I haven't yet gotten the full benefit of the fills and the major weight loss, I AM glad that I am being proactive and taking charge. Kudos to you for doing the same!

Nancy

Hi Nancy!

I am glad to hear that you are doing well. I feel a little bit better about the surgery. I know what you mean about "reading everything you can get your paws on" that is how I am too. I have been researching the lapband for a long time. One of my co-workers has the lapband and she looks great, but we have never actually had a conversation so I would feel weird just going up to her and just asking her questions. I am so glad that I found this board, this is where I find most of my answers.

Nancy,

Except for the time and approval process, I read your post, and thought that I had written your post. I felt this same way. I had never had any surgery and was apprehensive to say the least. But although it is hard to get used to it a little bit, IT WILL BE THE BEST DECISION YOU MAKE FOR YOURSELF! Hang in there and use us as a sounding board to answer questions (I don't have much time under my belt-I am 11 days post surgery- or much experience, but there are ALOT of experienced bandsters here.) and support. We are here for you! :biggrin:

K