Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self induced preop diet....to do or not to do?

Okay...so here's the deal. My surgery date is June 3rd. I haven't had my preop education session yet. It's scheduled for May 13th. I asked the nurse how long the preop diet lasted and she said it's Proteins shakes and Clear Liquids for 2 days prior to the surgery.

Wow!! That doesn't seem like anything compared to what I've heard other people on the board talking about. Some people have mentioned that although the preop diet for 2 weeks is horrible it actually helps them wrap their brain around the changes tey need to make immediately following the surgery. And..that it helps jump start their weight loss.

I'd like to hear from those of you that have gone through it already....

What are your thoughts? Self induced preop diet? Or, not?

Thanks for your input!

Ang

I was only required to do one week pre-op and I decided on my own to do 2 and I am so glad I did. I jump started my weight-loss. I lost 17lbs before surgery, and it helped with my carb cravings for after surgery. I did a 2 week Optifast only diet. 5 shakes a day. Sometimes 6, or I would throw in a fat free Greek yogurt or some egg drop Soup if I felt like I needed a little deviation but other than that I didnt stray at all. If anything, if I were you, I would do at least one week. It definitely prepares you. Good luck!! :thumbup:

I don't think I would self-initiate a Liquid Protein diet simply because other doctors require it.

On the other hand, I would start practicing the eating behaviors that are required postop. Small bites, chewing, no drinking while eating, etc. These are the things that the brain has to wrap around---being uber-hungry and consuming only liquids? Not so much. (That's the part we endure because it's a means to an end.)

Your doctor makes his/her recommendations for a reason, based on his/her experiences. If s/he felt that you required a Protein diet to reduce the size of your liver preoperatively, s/he'd prescribe that for you.

My doctor required a 1 week pre-op diet. I did a 2 week pre-op diet and my reasoning was this. I knew I would drastically be cutting the amount down and I wanted to get the anger and frustration of missing my food out of my system on my terms... In retrospect- I am soooooooooo glad I did this- During that week "on my own" I did full liquids- Soup, yogurt, smoothies, grits on occasion etc. I splurged the night before my 1st night of required pre op and ate a salad.. Whoo Whoo!! Anyway.. I am glad I did it :thumbup:

I was not required to do a long preop diet but I knew my own recent eating habits and I had been on a sugar and carb binge while I was waiting for my approval. :sad:

I decided to do a modified self imposed preop. I did my Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch, and lean meat and raw or steamed low carb veggies for dinner. I was an Atkins dieter in the past and I understood the process of withdrawing from sugar and carbs, so that is what I was aiming for. The first three days are headaches, hunger and grouchiness. Day four you lose your headache and hunger and your energy level goes back up. :lol:

I lost 23 pounds preop and DID NOT SUFFER. My surgery was only 20 minutes long and the surgeon said it was a text book case. I truly believe if I had not done the preop my liver would have been huge. :eek:

My recover was very rapid and relatively painless. Although my surgeon did not require a preop, he did comment on my weight loss as being wonderful before the surgery. :smile2:

My srgeon did require two days of Clear Liquids (protein drink was also allowed) before the surgery, which I did as instructed.

If I had had the three days of withdrawing from sugar and carbs at the same time I had the surgery, I would have been so miserable!!!!!!:crying: It helped get my appetite under control so I have not experienced hunger since surgery either. I am not quite 4 weeks out and have lost another 8.8 pounds. I do not think I have a lot of restriction yet, but I am doing fine with the outlined postop diet and amounts and my hunger is not out of control. :laugh:

During that preop time, I also stopped drinking carbonated beverages (which I do not miss now after a 43 year addiction to diet pop starting at age 14 with Tab), focused on getting in all my Water, getting 70 grams of Protein, not snacking between meals, etc. That had me ready for the surgery.

I suspect that some doctors do not "require" a preop diet just because many people do not follow it and end up with binge eating when they try. Normal eating is preferrable to binge eating before the surgery, I would think.

If you are a sugar and carb eater, you will have to go through carb withdrawal at one time or another. I just decided to pick my time and not go through surgery and withdrawal at the same time.

Since your doctor has not given you any instructions for the weeks before, the choice is up to you. I know I am glad I did some prep work and I do believe it has made my journey easier.

Best of luck on your journey! We are all behind you!

:thumbup::welldoneclap::o:welldoneclap:

Okay...so here's the deal. My surgery date is June 3rd. I haven't had my preop education session yet. It's scheduled for May 13th. I asked the nurse how long the preop diet lasted and she said it's Proteins shakes and clear liquids for 2 days prior to the surgery.

Wow!! That doesn't seem like anything compared to what I've heard other people on the board talking about. Some people have mentioned that although the preop diet for 2 weeks is horrible it actually helps them wrap their brain around the changes tey need to make immediately following the surgery. And..that it helps jump start their weight loss.

Thanks for your input!

Ang

Just noticed you are in Mission, Kansas. I am in Lenexa. I had my surgery with Dr. Stanley Hoehn on April 7. Who is your doc?

Okay...so here's the deal. My surgery date is June 3rd. I haven't had my preop education session yet. It's scheduled for May 13th. I asked the nurse how long the preop diet lasted and she said it's Proteins shakes and clear liquids for 2 days prior to the surgery.

Thanks for your input!

Ang

I don't have a pre-op diet. The only thing my Dr. said I had to do is liquids the day before the operation. I'm going to cut out carbs a couple days before.

Take care,

Melissa

Well, I didnt have to do one. But I thought I would anyway, for all the reasons you've got running through your head. I did last 3 days. Before i started fainting every time I stood up! Called my doc, he said I was mad to do that to myself if it wasnt even necessary and pointed out that its an extreme measure for an extreme circumstance and NOT a healthy way to lose weight at ALL. He said if it was difficult, made me feel sick and had me passing out, then stop doing it. I knew for a fact my liver was not particularly fatty and not enlarged at all and it wasnt going to be a problem for surgery.

So I just ate sensibly in my last few weeks again. Not doing a liquid diet does not mean eating everythign not nailed down either. Cutting out the white carbs, getting rid of carbonated drinks and for me a huge one was cutting down drastically on caffeine (knew I wouldnt have the stomach space for my normal coffee intake afterwards) is going to help enormously.

I have renewed respect for those that do do it. I've never done such an awful diet in my life. I couldnt do it now WITH a band.

My surgeon required a 2 week preop eating plan...although there were 4 choices offered, I decided to go with Medifast, and ended up on it for a month while waiting for the horrible winter weather to clear and for him to catch up on his backlog from cancellations. I haven't regretted it one second...I lost more than 20 pounds during that period, which was so motivating, and it got me in the habit of mindful eating, which is critical to long-term success.

Everyone's journey is different, and it's basically unwise to go rogue from your surgeon's directions. However, I have to agree with Betsy and say that now is the time for you to put the good habits in practice that will make your post-band experience more successful.

Best wishes!

Christine

I wasn't required to do a pre op diet either. I thought about doing a self imposed one after reading these boards- but ended up just working on some habit changes (like Betsy mentioned) and having a Protein Shake for Breakfast. I also cut my carbs a lot.

At my preop appointment I asked my doc- are you sure I don't need a preop diet- He said no eat whatever you want until 10 the day before the surgery... And I did. I had surgery Tuesday and I have to say that my recovery has been great. My surgery went fine as well. If I had any carb withdrawal I didn't notice it and I have been on clear liquids since Monday night.

Perhaps because I had a non stressed body before surgery my recovery was easier??

Thanks so much for your responses!!! They have been very helpful!!! I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I do know I will be cutting down on caffeine (my doc says I absolutely give up caffeine after the surgery due to risk of ulcers...boo hiss!!). I will also be cutting back on refined sugars and anything white.

Froggie D - I live in Overland Park, but just moved from MIssion. Dr. Hoehn is going to do my surgery. I would love to talk to you!!! My e-mail address is ainnjay@yahoo.com.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Ang

I started early on the pre-op diet. I think I started liquids at 6 weeks or 4 weeks out, cant recall. For me it was an issue of convenience. I didnt have to constantly think about what to eat. I am now 7 months post surgery and down 140 lbs. Some of that thanks to the early start.

I also wanted to add that my doctor said the 2 week diet was due to my high BMI, it would shink my liver and give him room to work.

Edited by minimeme