Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ATTENTION to those who are less than 3 months post-op and discouraged-READ HERE!!!

I'm sorry, but I really get SO FRUSTRATED READING POST AFTER POSTs of new bandsters discouraged that they only lost X number of pounds since surgery!! Most are just a FEW WEEKS post-op and discouraged!

It infuriates me to no end that some doctor's don't tell their patients what to expect during "bandster hell" and these poor people are expecting "lightning in a bottle" and to lose weight immediately following surgery. So I decided to start a thread to help and educate them.

THE FIRST MONTH to 6 WEEKS IS FOR HEALING....NOT LOSING!!! Your body is recovering from major surgery and has fluids it is retaining. Your stomach has a shiny new plastic ring on it..what do you expect your body to do just dump 30lbs like that? Not gonna happen... Let it heal!

YOU DON'T LOSE WEIGHT SUBSTANTIALLY UNTIL YOU HAVE ADEQUATE RESTRICTION WHICH USUALLY TAKES 3-5 MONTHS!

DO NOT get DISCOURAGED or feel like a failure..this is NORMAL!!!

DO NOT COMPARE YOUR WEIGHT LOSS TO ANYONE ELSE!!! We are all DIFFERENT!! Some bigger, some smaller, some faster or slower..you will get discouraged if you focus on anyone but yourself!

PLEASE don't say...."I've only lost "X" lbs since surgery" and consider that discouraging. ANY weight lost is a success and pounds you are NOT GAINING!!!

FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE AND KEEP ON TRACK!!

I don't mean to be shouting or sound mean. I just think being direct is what is best sometimes--I hope this helps someone..anyone...from posting another "I'm discouraged" thread...:thumbup:

Thanks for posting this!! I was banded yesterday and it is discouraging reading everybody's posts about how they are not losing...

So glad you posted this, I am newly banded as of March 19th and am very pleased with my band and the results. I am an extremely positive person and I simply ignore all the negative post (my doctor's PA even told be to believe half of what I read on this post and to follow the positive) but would be excited NOT to see so many "I'm discouraged" post.

Thanks for the post. I have gained 4 pounds, but I feel as though I can eat a whole cow. I hate that feeling. However, I did manage to lose 2 pounds in one week, but that was all hard work!

I will try to be a bit more softer on myself. :thumbup:

Hello Coloradoband,

As for me you do not sound to be mean, , your just telling it like it is, I must agree with you, I was rocking in that boat just last week, jumping on and off the scale every morning, just to discourage myself, knowing better then to do such a thing, but this week I think I got myself together. I just want to say Thank you for your post, and keeping up in order. Thanks again.

Edited by slenderme

There is one thing that I would like to add. I think many people do feel upset is because they have family memebers watching them like a hawk. My family is like that. I live with the food police. "Are you going to eat that?" "Don't you think you've had enough?" "Shouldn't you be done?"

Their comments make me feel like crap, and that makes me be harder on myself. Don't say to "just ignore them." They are my family and I've lived with them all of my life.

We have outside forces screaming at us. And that make us question ourselves even if we know better.

Do you see what I'm saying?

I agree!! I don't know if the information isn't being given, or if people got it but it didn't compute somehow. It doesn't matter why, it just is. I was told over and over by my docs representative that anything I lose before restriction is just a bonus. I did lose but I also have a smaller band than most of you. Thanks for posting this. I think it probably needs tp be posted again every week since these end up getting so far down the list they disappear. Hugs!!!

Agreed, maybe a good candidate for a sticky thread.

Thanks for posting this. I think it probably needs tp be posted again every week since these end up getting so far down the list they disappear.

I was banded yesterday and expected to get this lecture. Instead I got the opposite. Because of my unique situation I am expected to lose a good amount before my first adjustment. I did make the mistake of stepping on the scale when I got home from the hospital and it said I gained most of my pre-op weight loss back. Either the scale is broken or I am retaining fluids.

It doesn't bother me, I am just excited to be on this journey and heading towards the green zone.

Thanks for the thread... it will mean alot to alot of people.

Well its not what you say but how you say it. Iwas banded 4-12-2010 lost 17lbs first week and gain 6 lbs back, Am i disappointed, HELL YEAH and im yelling that. I didnt take time off of work and stay on liquids for 2 weeks and go throught this pain to yo-yo. I want results because that was what was told to me from my doctor. If i was told that my weight would not come off until the 3rd or 4th fill as you say , i would have research a little further before making a big commentment such as this. And I believe that people should share what EVER they want during this process, it is a part of healing.

Very well said colorado! I'm in shock when I read that people didn't know about bandster hell, or what doctors don't tell them about recovery and post op details. Those dr's shouldn't be able to perform the surgery.. If you are contemplating surgery, reasearch ON YOUR OWN as much as possible, ask a lot of questions - even if you think it sounds stupid, and if for any reason you don't get an answer that directly answers your question or you don't think you can live with, find anothe dr or don't go through with the surgery. Think long and hard before you go under the knife because it is not something to take lightly NOR is it a quick fix to years of being overweight. I've found most of the things I've read on this site to be relatively accurate and similar to my experience. I suggest you take all of the good and the bad comments to heart and make the best decision for yourself! Good luck to all!

I was one of those people that were not educated on this. My surgeon was very thorough on what he was going to do during the surgery and that was about it. We never really discussed the aftermath. Thanks for posting this. It should definitely be a sticky.

And if I have to hear.."So how much weight have you lost"? one more time I am going to scream!!!! I made the decision to tell all my friends and family about the surgery and boy was that a mistake. I feel like people are looking at me like a failure already. They don't understand how the surgery works. It's so frustrating. When I say oh only 10lbs, everyones response is "That's it"? UGH!!! I wish I kept it to myself.

Thanks for the post. It is great for all new bandsters Unfortunately my doctor tells you how much he expects you to lose and when you don't, he gets all uppity about how you are doing something wrong. He expects 50 pounds off in 3 months! I have already had 1 argument with him over some pain I am in. I have been able to fall within "his" expectations so far, but I now dread going to him. Thank goodness he has a supportive staff that tells me to ignore his attitude and that they are working on him.

50 lbs in 3 mos sounds completely opposite to anything I've ever heard. My docs advice was any loss in the first 6 weeks was a bonus and that that time was for healing. . That seems consistent with what I've read here.if your doc is arguing with you maybe you can find a new doc? You don't deserve that!!

Thanks for the post. It is great for all new bandsters Unfortunately my doctor tells you how much he expects you to lose and when you don't, he gets all uppity about how you are doing something wrong. He expects 50 pounds off in 3 months! I have already had 1 argument with him over some pain I am in. I have been able to fall within "his" expectations so far, but I now dread going to him. Thank goodness he has a supportive staff that tells me to ignore his attitude and that they are working on him.

My doctor, too, expects you to lose weight. He keeps statistics and when I don't do well it hurts his statistics. I went on vacation for an 18 day road trip and gained 5 lbs. I caught holy hell for that. I have since lost 6 lbs. and he saw me in the hallway and high fived me (I saw his PA the second time). But back to the original post, I was well informed by my doctors, and this message board. I was very educated and it has been a long wait to start really losing. But worth it! I love my band!!!