Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe muscle/joint pain... scar tissue?! PLZ HELP!

Hello, I have this same post elsewhere on the forum and thought I'd try here.

I was banded 2 years ago and I have this odd set of symtoms that have been bothering me for about 2 months now. The muscles in the backs of my thighs feel like they're tied in knots when I bend over. I have no history of back problems or arthritis. About a week or so later I woke up with a severe stiff neck to the point that I had to turn my body at my torso. My neck, collar bone, shoulders, shoulder blades [especially the left one] and my mid spine area are all very sore, almost bruised feeling. I went to a chiropractor about 6 times with no relief. It's now in my hip joints and shoulder 'sockets'. It hurts like heck to raise my arms [left especially]. I have to shuffle when I walk and I used to walk very quickly. I was in the hospital for 4 days this week and had scans of my neck and brain and a load of blood work and was told all came back OK.

Has anyone that has been banded experienced anything like this? I go to the doc on Monday and he's thinking about doing a spinal tap! Could this all be from scar tissue? Thanks, Darlene

I'm afraid I've never heard of this happening to anyone before. I hope Monday your doctor can figure out what is wrong. Please keep us posted.

It sounds like some kind of auto immune disease. e.g arthritis, lupus etc.

It doesn't sound as though it has anything to do with the band. E.g you say you have stiffness in your neck - there shouldn't be any scar tissue from the band there.

Be interesting to see what your Dr says.

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much pain--it sounds horrendous!

I would ask for a referral to a rheumatologist.

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate it!

I go to the neurologist[?] tomorrow so hopefully I can get some answers [without the spinal tap!]

I was really hurting yesterday, but it has eased a little today. I had to get some groceries and it about killed me getting in the truck.... my hips hurt to lift my legs.

The reason I was wondering about scar tissue was cause shortly after I got the band my shoulder was killing me. As soon as I'd sip a warm drink, it would ease. I figured if there were scar tissue in there wrapping around muscles and nerves, it may cause the pain I'm feeling.

All I do know is that this is not like me and whatever it is, it came on me pretty quick. Thanks again everyone and I'll post again tomorrow afternoon. Darlene

I hope that you are able to find the answers you are needing for much needed relief.

I wanted to suggest that perhaps it is nerve related. There is a nerve that runs from the diaphragm up the back and over the left shoulder, hence the reasons why we get pain when the stomach is too full, it pushes on the diaphragm and then that pushes on the nerve. If you favor the left in anyway you can send your sciatic nerve screaming which runs down both legs from mid back.

Just a thought

It is mostly my left side, especially my arm/shoulder/neck area. My muscles in the backs of my thighs are a mystery though?? When this all started I noticed the muscles from right below my butt cheeks to my knees felt really tight/stiff when I'd bend over. My lower back and hips just recently started to hurt.

Doc mentioned something [now I might be wrong] but I thought he said 'fungal meningitis'[?] It's different than bacterial meningitis and that's why he mentioned a spinal tap. UUUUGGGGHHHH!

I feel this pain 24/7 but it does ease a little a day or two then hits me again hard.

Edited by IWANTBANDED

I haven't heard of fungal meingitis - only the viral and bacterial kinds. Both of these are pretty nasty. I doubt you have either because if there was any suspicion that you might have then it would be negligent of your Dr to wait to do the lumbar puncture - it should have been done immediately.

Other symptoms that are possible with meningitis are:-

feeling cold especially hands/feet

sensitivity to light

headaches

nausea/vomiting

flu like symptoms

generally feeling off colour

a rash ( but this is often not present and can be the last symptom to appear so absence of a rash does not mean that a person is OK).

A stiff neck is one of the signs which is why generally when you go to the Dr with flu like symptoms they check to see if you can bend your chin down towards your neck.

Hope you get this mystery solved soon.

[There is a fungal meningitis, it is uncommon and isn't deadly like the bacterial form.] I went to the neuro this morning and I have to go back this afternoon for a nerve conduction test. They still want me to have the lumbar puncture though... that will be a last resort. They took more blood to check for arthritis, but all my other blood work came back fine.

I spoke to them about the possibility of scar tissue from my lap band and she didn't seem to think it could be it but she said that the only way to tell is by doing another laproscopic surgery to look around. All I know is that there is something wrong and I hope that this isn't going to continue. Thanks everyone, I'll keep you updated. Darlene

I didn't say it didn't exist just that I had never heard of it. LOL.

Just looked it up and the signs and symptoms are very similar to the other types.Just found some info from a reliable source - the australian meningitis centre which is quite interesting.

The Meningitis Centre - Fungal Meningitis

Keep us updated. Hoping that you are OK and that it isn't something serious.Have you been checked for things such as fibromyalgia as this also causes all over muscle pain?

I didn't mean for it to sound like it did, I didn't think you doubted me. I never heard of it either, I Googled it to get a little info. Thanks for the thread, I'll check it out.

Doc did the nerve conduction test and said it was fine. Next is the lumbar puncture, but I'm puting it off as long as I can. I would like to get my band checked out but can't afford the trip right now. {Self pay- out west.}

Thanks for all the tips, I do appreciate it! :thumbup:

Hi,

I was banded on November 15th. Things have been going well for me until a couple of weeks ago. The joint pain started slowly so I didn't think much of it at first. It started in my knees. The muscles feel tight both up my leg and down into the calf muscles. Now it is my knees, elbow joints, some hip pain, and this morning when I woke up my hands were hurting with the same kind of pain. The pain is the same on both sides of my body. I have tried icing these areas, as well as, taking a nice hot bath, with no effect on the joints. The pain is just as bad after as when I started the treatment. I still have some pain meds left over so I have been taking them at night to help me sleep, otherwise I would not be able to sleep with the pain. It has gotten so bad I can barely navigate the stairs, I'm like a 70 year old woman even though I'm only 33 trying to move somewhere; off the couch, into another room, etc. Everyday I am noticing the pain is worse and has progressed. Has anyone heard of this before? I will be calling my surgeon today but am worried he is going to tell me it's nothing. My quality of life has been reduced to just what has to get done each day. I have never felt anything like this before and it is horrible!

Please help!

Misty

Before the band I was having the same pain problems in the same areas. I was told I had fibromiligia?? I went to a Rheumatologist and she took a lot of blood work to make sure I didn't have lupus or rheumatoid arthritis. The Rheumatologist takes more in-depth testing. Once I had the band put in all my pain stopped and I stopped taking my medications. Good luck to you.

Hi,

I have a odd suggestion have you been checked for Lyme Disease? My Uncle had it. He had been visiting in Minnesota then went back to his home on the east coast and then had the same indications. Ended up they did not thave the issue out there so they did not test him and it ended up a Resident from Colorado said could it be Lyme disease and it ended up it was. anywhere a deer tick can get you or even misquito that carries the blood from a infected deer you can get it, Good Luck I pray for you that they can find out what it is and give you some piece of mind at least.