Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting Banding On Hold-Opinions Wanted

I have researched the three closest sites to getting banded in my area (and excluding my area because of their lack of experience). I have talked to Portland; Utah and Seattle. Utah is the closest for me, about a 5-hr drive, very quick by air. My insurance Medicare is covering the gastric bypass at this point and not the lap band as I was originally told. (good thing I found out). Medicare will be covering the banding by Feb 2006. I got this info from all three offices in no direct correlation with each other.

OK, should I wait until it is paid for; should I go to Mexico and pay; should I suck up the huge expense and not wait till Feb. From my perspective the waiting won't hurt me, so I'm wondering can I still share with you girls until that time and keep on learning. It would be wonderful to get this paid for, and I'm real leary of Mexico (although I must say the trip sounds great), but lots of health issues to worry about. I have also been really sick with the flu and have lost 15 lbs. in 2 weeks (so you know I have to be sick) and have to gain it back to qualify. I could starve when I'm well, but you and I both know if I lose 100 lbs. I'm going to gain 150 lbs. back. I've done it before. I am the original yo-yo in that respect and it is worse for my health.

I'm tempted to cool my jets till the new Medicare rules come out in hopes all are telling me the truth (really pointless for them to lie to me, they are asking me to wait and telling me lap banding will be covered in a few mo.). I merely wondered what the rest of you thought. I can get a mortgage, the house is mine, and pay for the whole thing, or I can wait for Medicare.

I know you can't make decisions for me, but please give me advise on what you would do if you knew your insurance was almost going to positively pick this up in about 3 or 4 mo. Thanks for the help. You guys are the best. I mean that sincerely Cindy, Jack, Danistar and all the rest of you who have always been there for me. Jack, if this were you would you have waited the few extra months...just curious?

I know this will be a great decision, and you people have made me aware of that, so I have no doubts in that respect.

Thanks for your input.

I waited almost a year to have insurance cover my banding, and I would have waited longer. All other things being equal, I'd want to have my medical care delivered to me in the States by doctors who are close by and answerable to the AMA.

February is RIGHT around the corner. And obviously you want to heal up from your recent illness before even considering surgery. So that's what I would do.

Oh wow, if they are going to pay for it, than I would wait. Thats great. February is a stone throw away.

Good luck !!

Hi Tomorrowsdream

I had to wait a couple of months for my surgeon and yes it was hell (I'm a very impatient person lol) but it seemed to come around so quickly. In the meantime I learnt everything I could and more. I think I probably know more about the after care than my surgeon.

Only you know wether paying now or going to Mexico are good options for you. I do think February isn't that far away though and think of the money you'll need for new clothes :) Personally I would wait. I'll admit, if my surgeon had been able to do it on the spot I would not have hesitated. So I know how you feel. But having said that, when it did eventually happen, I knew exactly what I was doing with no doubts at all, as I'd had time to research research research. Also, time to break the news in my own way to the handful of people I wanted to know. They also had time to get used to the idea, which was important for me to have that support network.

Only one warning...I went on the never ending last supper :D but lost it all again on the pre op diet.

Good luck with your decision :)

I think it is worth the wait, February is not that far away and it is a whole lot easier on you when someone else is paying for it, Also you won't have to go to mexico for it. Make mexico a vacation not a surgery. Just my opinion though hope it helps.

I have gone through some of your exact concerns. My insurance was ready to cover the RNY, no questions asked. However, the lap band was a totally different thing. I got the run around for what seemed like forever! but, in the end, it was covered. I had to wait a few months, but I was more than willing to do that, and I am an impatient person. Do you know anyone who has had the RNY? I know about 4 people with 4 different experiences. It HAS worked for them, but 1 of them had surgery a few years ago, and she has been gaining a bit of her weight back, and she has complained to me about her dumping experiences and how she was all of a sudden one day able to eat more food due to her 'pouch' stretching or being able to hold more food. Also, each friend was off from work for quite a while for healing, unlike band surgery. No one can make the decision for you, but YOU. However, I had my surgery 1 week ago, and although I have had some difficulty, I have to admit that I would still choose this option over the RNY. When you reallly think about it, Feb. is not a long time to wait. I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate that I only had to wait a few months considering some people have had to wait a year or longer. Hang in there, and take this time to do more research and more soul searching to make sure that it is what you want to do. I hope that whichever decision you make, that it is a successful one. Take care. :D

My daughter had gastric bypass 3 years ago. I have to say she is a differerent girl. Is she a happier girl? That depends on who you ask. She is thrilled about the weight loss, but not happy about the dumping syndrome or the fact that things run right through her (which they do because of the intestinal involvement). She is certainly an inspiration, but she has changed from carefree and happy to rather quiet. However, she is going to have fat tissue removed with her insurance and perhaps that will make a difference. She CAN'T eat anything that she wants, and the surgery is much much more dangerous than lap banding. She cried for weeks afterwards, and I think part of the fact was there was no turning back. She has told me if lap banding had been available here in the states then she would have chosen it any day over the gastric bypass surgery. That's just one person's opinion. Hope it helps.

I would definitely wait the 3 months. I bet it would take longer than that to save the money it would cost for a self pay. Good luck!