Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately seeking my sweet spot - HELP!

I am so freakin' frustrated with this whole process, I could just cry. OK, I actually have cried.

I'm almost 5 months post-op with 11cc in my 14cc band.

My last fill was 2 weeks ago - 1cc. Prior to that, I had no real restriction. I'd had a few PB's but had no lasting relief from hunger and could still eat all the usual suspects with no problems (most of the time).

The last fill made me WAAAAAAY too tight for about 10 days. I could only do liquids and some mushies until a few days ago when I could suddenly eat again.

Now that I can eat, I am focusing on solid Proteins (fish, chicken, etc.). I don't drink while I eat nor for an hour afterwards. Yet, I eat my 1 cup of food and am still hungry. I drink at least 100 oz of Water every day. I do everything I'm supposed to, but have no relief from hunger.

How in the heck could I go from sooo tight to not tight enough in the matter of days?

Anyone experience this? Ideas? Where in the heck is my sweet spot? Am I too tight or too loose? Is the sweet spot just a myth? Have I lost my mind? :smile:

I am getting all irrational and feeling like I am going to be the person the band doesn't work for! I have a call into my PA, but she didn't call me back today.

Thanks,

Amy

First of all, congratulation on your weight loss!! You have done well in 5 months.

Some people need a lot of restriction in their bands, every body is different. I have a 10cc band, and I am not sure what the reason is for putting in a different size band, but that may make the difference. Maybe you need to be "topped off"?

As for feeling restriction for a while and then feeling as if it has gone away, that could be that you were swollen from the fill and after your body recovered you are not restricted enough. I would get maybe 1/2 cc's at a time, maybe every 2 weeks, and see how that goes. You may not get the super restricted feeling but maybe you will be able to notice your sweet spot more when you get there. Just my 2 cents! A little bit can make a big difference when you get close.

I "think" I am at mine? Not quite sure. I did have 5.6cc's in my 10cc band, but when I got that fill I couldn't even swallow my own spit! I needed to have .6 cc's taken out the next day. It was just 1/2 cc that put me to the sweet spot. Ever since I feel like I can eat a little bit of everything but not too much. It has been 2 1/2 months now since I had my last fill, and come to think of it just about 5 months out from surgery, like you are now. I don't think I want another one yet. I am not losing fast, that is for sure, but I think that is just because I am older. I have to fight for every pound at this point in my life.

There is a thread about how much people have in each size band here to get to their sweet spot. Maybe that will give you an idea of others with the 14cc band? If I can find it, I will post it!!

Hang in there... you are doing great!!

Thanks, Kate. I appreciate the advice and encouragement! I checked out the link and it does seem that I'm not alone in needing lots of cc's for restriction. I just thought it was weird to go from soooo tight to virtually nothing overnight. But you might be right about the swelling and such.

My doc's policy is one fill every four weeks, which is frustrating, but only two more weeks and I can try .5cc maybe.

Thanks again!

I think one of the toughest things to have throughout this experience is patience. It is a process not an immediate solution. I struggle with that myself. I thought I would have lost more weight by this time in my journey, but I need to remember where I've come from and keep site of where I am going.

I was thinking of lbs in something I could visualize... 10lb bags of potatoes. lol... imagine, you have lost 5 10lb bags of potatoes!!!!! That is amazing... imagine how much that is!!

Great blog by the way and cute kids!! I see you are from Toledo, I grew up just north on the Plymouth/Livonia border in Michigan. Great place to be from.. I live in CA now. I miss it at times!

Take care,

Amy-

You do have a very large band (14cc). I have the same size. The reason for the larger band is that you may have had more fat around your stomach when they put in the band. If you lost a lot of fat in that band area you may require more fluids to get the restriction needed. You are also only 5 months out from getting the band placed. It is possible that you still may be experiencing head hunger. I am 14 months and can tell you that it takes a while to go away.

You have done great so far. Everyone loses at different rates. Eat right, drink the Water and keep moving. You will get there. I have seen the other side and it is amazing. You will be there before you know it. Good luck.

weight.png

How in the heck could I go from sooo tight to not tight enough in the matter of days?

The swelling from the fill went down. If your doctor had given you a larger fill, even more pressure would have been exerted on your stomach, and more swelling would have occurred.

So, your 1 cc fill caused swelling that gave you temporary restriction---instead of being totally frustrated, recognize this as good information to share with your doctor. It will help guide future fills so you get to that sweet spot.

Thanks, everyone!

I am starting to think I am extraordinarily sensitive to fills. I had #6 a week ago tomorrow - .25cc - and have been mega-tight since. PB'ed four times and have only had liquids and semi-liquids (broccoli cheddar soup). I guess I must swell quite a bit for a while afterwards. I'm doing all liquids through the weekend and then I'll evaluate where I am.

Unfortunately, my PA is less than helpful and really couldn't help me determine if I was too loose or too tight. ARGH. And the NUT hasn't called me back in over two weeks. I'll be changing practices, but we are moving soon, so I am waiting so I only have to switch once.

Anyhow, this is why I so appreciate the support here! It sure helps...

Amy-

...It is possible that you still may be experiencing head hunger. I am 14 months and can tell you that it takes a while to go away.

Hey,

I reread this and was hoping you could clarify. Do you mean that your hunger eventually went away over the course of months? I've been debating if it is head hunger, although I do experience real physical symptoms, like a watering mouth, achy stomach, shaking, etc. But maybe it is in my head and will get better. Here's to hoping!

Do you have any other health issues? I am diabetic; I had the same issues, except it was my blood sugar going to low due to the change in weight. Yes, head hunger is hard to overcome, just follow the rules, get your fills and don’t give up. It will work. Make sure that you are eating enough calories so that you don’t go into starvation mode. This I know from experience. Plateaus, they suck and do happen, just change up your routine to help overcome. Best of luck.

Thanks, Westonrose. I actually don't have any other health problems, and I've been seeing a therapist regularly to deal with the head issues. I honestly think I am in that icky place where I am a bit too tight so I can't get a good meal down, but my surgeon doesn't do "small" unfills, so I think I just have to ride it out and see what happens. The good news is the weight is flying off. The bad news is I am hungry a lot of the time.

Patience is my new mantra!