Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well the title says it all. I was banded 08/31/09 and I was steadily losing until about 6-8 weeks ago. I have gone up and down 2-3 lbs since my last fill on 03/18. I have 5.5 in a 10cc band and my next fill is Thursday, thank goodness.

It is driving me crazy....the fill did not make a difference as far as restriction. I definitely feel my self hungrier at times and especially on days I work out really hard. I am probably eating bigger portions but my calorie intake is barely 1000 per day. I am trying really hard to increase the calories because I keep reading about the starvation mode our bodies fall into with not enough calories.

I always get 60-80 grams of Protein a day, try to stay between 50-100 carbs and 3o grams of fat per day. I track my food and I exercise 4-5 days a week on average, sometimes more.

I just need some advise on tricking my body back into the losing game. OK so give it to me...tell me about your tricks and your plateaus.

Thanks

No advice! I just wanted to comment because your story sounds like mine. I was banded 3 days before you--Aug. 28, 2009. I lost 40 lbs. from Aug. til Christmas. I got a fill a few days before Christmas. Since then I've only lost 10 lbs. even though (like you) I'm exercising 5 days a week and eating 1000-1200 cal./day. I went back to the doctor yesterday to see what was wrong. He gave me .5 fill. I'm now 7cc. in a 9 cc. band. I hope this kickstarts my weight loss again. The doctor also told me to stop eating a couple of spoonfuls of Peanut Butter or a couple of handfuls of peanuts every afternoon. Even though they have Protein, he thinks the calorie count is way too much.

I know how you feel. I've been at the same weight for 2 months now. There must be something that we are doing (like eating peanuts) that is incorrect. Honestly, in my heart of hearts, I thought I WAS following the rules and doing the right thing.

Keep me posted on what happens in the next month, Little August Band Buddy! :ohmy:

Hi guys - one of the first posts I've seen that's similar to my story... although I've had my band a lot longer. I was banded in Dec 08 - then lost about 20lbs and then it stalled then another 10 then a plateau, and so it's gone. What I've found, is that I'm in it for the long game - so I just wait them out and try not to worry. In fact, I've found that if I eat more during my plateaus and then go back to a restrictive diet that it works better. For example, I've been stalled at about 175lbs for a while -- I stopped thinking about it, upped my calories (not on purpose but because I've been traveling and going to restaurants) and then started being strict again. Today I got on the scale and it looks like about 167-169lbs... just stay with the program and think long term. It's so much better than going in the other direction.

I just posted about this the other day! Finally! Someone like me! I was banded August 13th 2009, very close to both of you. I've lost 48 pounds total but since Christmas... I haven't lost very much more. I'm frustrated, but at the same time, trying not to be. I knew going into this that it wasn't a 'quick fix'. It takes time. My doctor said to aim for about 1 pound of weight loss a week... but I'm not doing even that lately.

I don't know what else to do. My calorie count is around 1000 a day and I drink Water like theres no tomorrow! I'm trying to examine my diet better and cut out most of the sodium. I've also thought about starting a cleanse and see if I just need some cleaning out (so to speak) to jump start things again.

But I completely agree.... Plateaus SUCK! :ohmy:

I played with the same 1.8 pounds for several weeks after my last banding. I totally understand your frustration!

Plateaus aren't, usually, a signal that we need to do anything tremendously differently. They just tell us our body's gotten the "message" that huge chunks of us are disappearing, and they need to hang on for dear life.

You've lost almost 61 pounds! Your body is taking a breather. That's all.

Thing is, it can't hold on to the weight indefinitely. The weight will start coming off again.

Hang in there! If you've examined what you're eating and your exercise, and they are consistent with promoting weight loss, the loss will resume.

If you can see room for improvement, though, now's a good time to make it. Do you journal your intake someplace like fitday?

I lose best with ~100 g protein/day and <50 g net carbs. I also don't believe in starvation mode. I know it's a theory that's used a lot---by "fitness experts" in the media, for example, but the peer-reviewed research does NOT support its existence. It just doesn't.

Well before my banding, I discovered, by really paying attention to my journaling, that I lose best at 800-1000 calories/day (with significant exercise).

THAT is what drove me to banding; it is a difficult level to achieve and maintain because of hunger, and the band is the tool to deal with that.

I'm not suggesting that this is the correct caloric level for you, or the right mix of Protein and carbs. Your journaling will reveal that. I AM suggesting that you dispense with the controversial "shoulds" and do what YOUR body requires.

You were losing very well. Chances are, you are in a normal plateau. But if the stall in any way correlates with your statement that you're trying to increase calories to prevent a stall, well---the logical conclusion is not, "I'm in starvation mode," it's, "Wow-adding X calories/day caused a stall!"

Certainly, play around to see where you lose the best. But know that the starvation effect is controversial at VERY best.

Good luck--I know it's terribly frustrating!

Well the title says it all. I was banded 08/31/09 and I was steadily losing until about 6-8 weeks ago. I have gone up and down 2-3 lbs since my last fill on 03/18. I have 5.5 in a 10cc band and my next fill is Thursday, thank goodness.

It is driving me crazy....the fill did not make a difference as far as restriction. I definitely feel my self hungrier at times and especially on days I work out really hard. I am probably eating bigger portions but my calorie intake is barely 1000 per day. I am trying really hard to increase the calories because I keep reading about the starvation mode our bodies fall into with not enough calories.

I always get 60-80 grams of Protein a day, try to stay between 50-100 carbs and 3o grams of fat per day. I track my food and I exercise 4-5 days a week on average, sometimes more.

I just need some advise on tricking my body back into the losing game. OK so give it to me...tell me about your tricks and your plateaus.

Thanks

No tricks here, but just wanted to say that I'm right there with you! Banded in October of 2009 and I'm currently stalled as well. I agree the your post title that plateaus DEFINITELY suck! I have been playing with the same pound (170-171) for the last 3 weeks (I know, 3 weeks is nothing compared to you guys, but I have been losing 2-3 lbs every week on average for quite awhile). I am also getting a fill on Thursday (well hopefully--I am so tight in the a.m. but I turn into a night feeder by 1 in the afternoon and I get hungry very quickly and nothing seems to fill me up and I am taking in 100 to 120 g of Protein a day, so it just goes to show how different we all are).

Hang in there! Let's hope our fills on Thursday blast through this stinking plateau!!!

Thanks for the replies. I knew I was not the only one...

It just seems so frustrating when you feel you are following the plan and doing what you are supposed to do.

I use sparkpeople.com to track everything. I went back thru my calendar over the months to see if I can see any major changes. I really did not see anything I am doing too differently.

The one thing I know is different is that I am hungry at night, so I have been snacking...that said ... my snackrs are things like - some Laughing Cow cheese, or some nuts, or a slice of turkey. Trying to go by advice from my trainer at gym who says nuts are a good fat and a great snack. I think I may try cutting them out and see what happens.

BetsyB- you are probably right in your theory and it will happen on its own again. I think that is great advice, thank you.

It is so easy to get obsessed with this....trying not to do that either LOL

I was banded January 20, 2010 and have only lost 30 pounds, it is really frustrating to me because I'm doing what I'm suppose to do, I think. I ate some potatoes the other day and I was a pound heavier after I did that! I guess you have to really watch the carbs and exercise more. I've already have my 4th fill and have 6.5cc in a 9cc band.

I was banded January 20, 2010 and have only lost 30 pounds
Really?! You really believe that 30 pounds in just over 3 months is something to be discouraged about?!

Have you ever been able to lose 10 pounds a month before, and know that you would keep it off?

I was banded 8 days before you, and am around 39 down---so losing at just about the same rate as you are. I'm happy, my doctor's happy----it's a great loss!

Banding is NOT GEARED FOR RAPID LOSS. It is geared for steady, ongoing loss of the kind most of us could not achieve pre-banding. We gave up before we reached goal--or regained if we did reach goal---because we couldn't sustain the changes long-term.

The band is a tool to sustain the changes.

30 pounds since January 20 is a very good loss. My doctor (who has a very stringent eating regimen) is happy with FIVE-SIX pounds a month---and you're doing around 10.

I totally agree with the title of the post and with several comments. I was literally at a complete standstill of weight loss from Jan 2010 to Mid March 2010. I was working out over 90 minutes 5X per week, watching what I ate and etc. I was banded January 2009.

I too had the evil "hungry at night" curse. I would follow every single detail to a T during the day, but around 6:00pm my body would crave no-no's. I finally started losing again the 3rd week of March almost 12 weeks..UGH!! Then bam, 7lbs. I've been losing 2lbs a week since..but OMG, seriously it was NOT easy!

My trainer gave me the BEST advice about a month ago that TOTALLY changed my metabolism...maybe it can help someone else.

Since I did fine during the day, and the nighttime was my nemesis, he suggested I work out at night (I go to 24 hour fitness). So, I would come home, get my chores done, fix supper for my family, and then head to the gym. When I got back, I would eat or usually drink my last bit of Protein for the day (Muscle Milk light is my Protein of choice). Then I would shower and go to bed. By doing this I am accomplising many things...

1. Not eating crap at night and alleviating the hunger

2. Exercising instead of eating when my body is usually in

resting mode.

3. Getting my metabolism going by exercising and adding

protein just before sleep, so I am burning fat/calories

while sleeping.

4. sleep like a baby!!!

I have done this now for about a month or so and feel GREAT!!! Keep up the good work people, don't let plateaus discourage you!!!

coloradobanding-thanks for all the great tips. I have no idea about exercising at night but it certainly worth a try. It makes so much sense.

I cant wait for my next fill on Thursday.....

Hi guys - one of the first posts I've seen that's similar to my story... although I've had my band a lot longer. I was banded in Dec 08 - then lost about 20lbs and then it stalled then another 10 then a plateau, and so it's gone. What I've found, is that I'm in it for the long game - so I just wait them out and try not to worry. In fact, I've found that if I eat more during my plateaus and then go back to a restrictive diet that it works better. For example, I've been stalled at about 175lbs for a while -- I stopped thinking about it, upped my calories (not on purpose but because I've been traveling and going to restaurants) and then started being strict again. Today I got on the scale and it looks like about 167-169lbs... just stay with the program and think long term. It's so much better than going in the other direction.

Hello All:tt1:,

I was Banded on April 9th by Dr. Feiz,(Great Doctor and Office Support Staff)

I unfortuately was so anxious, I did not read much of the literature, as i am reading about band sizing etc. I choose for the Dr. to select my band based on my stomach. The reason that I'm writing is we all are very anxious for the immediate weight loss!!! As, I was having my pre-op labs and testing I became to understand that I had more health issue than I realized, so I am trying to stay focused and patient. I have not had my first post-op because I work crazy hours, but I enjoy this forum alot. I became disenchanted initially when I started to read alot of negative comments, so I decided not to log-on anymore, but I realized that you do need support for this to be a success.

I am hungry, and I'm having challenges maintaining the post-op liquid diet. So, I suppose I just want to congragulate all of you that have made it this far, and remind you that we did not gain this weight over night and we won't lose it overnight. This is for all of us, we want the weight off, but we also want to look and feel healthy, so be patient and stay encouraged. Ghanian Queen:thumbup:

I guess you're right BetsyB, I didn't really look at it that way, I think I'm a little anxious, I want to get under 200 lbs by June if possible, I haven't been under 200 lbs in over 15 years so I guess I'm trying to hurry it up a little.:smile:

OK - so just got home, and my giant weight loss wasn't that... it was just a new scale. I'm actually at 173.6 - so that's not too bad.. It's one pound down despite being away from home and stuck in a Volcanic Ash cloud. I'm going to get back in the gym today and will try to focus on losing a few more pounds. Good luck to everyone - it's a long haul, not a magic bullet!

Greetings,

I hope that you are feeling better, I keep telling myself to be patient, we are still in our infancy. My surgery date was April 9 and I'm scheduled for my first adjustment on May 5. It seems surreal, with the healing process at least on the surface appearing to be complete and yet we still have the weight. I saw a cardiologist prior to having my surgery and he made me promise to exercise 30 minutes everyday and never eat fastfood again:) Since, I want to benefit in every possible way, I am trying to adhere but it's a challenge everyday. Good Luck to all of us and blessings