Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 lbs down since Tuesday. Added diet cream soda to the shakes and it was wonderful. I also pour everything over crushed ice. I follow every shake with 2 large glasses of crystal light. If you can't have carbonated drinks -- they probably want you to get used to doing it after the surgery, then make your soda flat. Take off the cap and drink it the next day.

I am on day one of my pre-op diet...my shake for Breakfast was good, but head is telling me that I need to eat, so I am trying some gum :(

My pre-op diet is a two week liquid diet. shake for breakfast and lunch, and a Soup for dinner. sugar free pop-sickles, Jello, and stuff like that is allowed.

As far as Protein shakes go. I bought the EAS powder from Sam's club. It has the same nutritional breakdown as the Bariatric Advantage the doctor's office was selling, but at a much more reasonable cost ($29 for a 5 pound bag/ 76 servings) I bought a chocolate one and a vanilla one. I really like the taste, and so do my picky kids...they say it tastes just like chocolate milk.

Michelle

has anyone found any Protein shakes that actually taste good?

I am not up to my pre-op diet...just trying to lose some weight before it gets closer...and prepare mentally for the surgery and post-op. I have been using designer whey for the past week I went for the 100 cal. Choc. I add 1/2 small banana and a 1/4 tsp of pure cocoa 3 oz of Water and 2 ice cubes... and blend in the blender. It gets better everytime I make it. I do find there is a huge diff with the blender and the spoon...and the whisk ball...Key is cold Water if you don't have ice. Blender is the best.

My husband drinks it with 2 scoops and about 12 oz of water...not my choice..since I like it a little thicker.He finds it very satisfying for breakfast. NOt sure what is going to happen after surgery if I can have the banana...will find out after my nutr. consult.

I also found lots of hints on bariacticeating.com. They have a sampler package that I am waiting for in the mail. Will let you know how it compares...GOOD LUCK...:(

MimiK, That is amazing I'm almost through day 2 of my preop diet and with the potential of losing quick pounds has me motivated.

Edited by rachel012479

My doctor did a 10 day liquid diet ( diet soda, broth, sugar free popsicles/jello, diluted low calorie gatorade ). I am on day 7! And have lost 15 lbs on it! Its hard to stick to, but having some immediate results is nice. Go in to be banded Monday the 26! WOOHOO:thumbup:

I am on a 2 week pre-op Liquid Protein diet. I am allowed 4 shakes a day....they said 400-600 calories & 60-80 grams Protein. Also no carbonated bev's, caffeine, or diet sodas etc, but they did say I could have crystal lite. The first 3 days were horrible but today is my 4th day & I feel quite a bit better physically. It seems to be all "head hunger" at this point. I have to hang in there b/c my surgery is less than 2 wks away & I don't want to do anything that could cancel my surgery.

Whoever was asking about good tasting protein stuff...... For post op shakes etc, I am ordering some stuff from Bariatric Choice online. They are pretty reasonable & the stuff I have tried tastes really good. They have cheesecake mix, pudding, shakes & bars, oatmeal, Soups & even meals that are all high protein. So far I have tried a few things & the shakes are thick & great tasting, pudding & bars are even good & I am picky. They give free shipping on orders over I think it was $79 and give discounts such as 10% on orders over $99.....anyway, just thought I would put this out there as a suggestion if you have trouble w/the taste of some of the Protein Drinks. Good luck everybody!

I ve been on preop now for 2 weeks. I have two Protein Shakes and a light meal in the eve or lunch. I have lost 15lbs so far, I had my preop visit yesterday and having surgery Wed the 28th.

About two weeks before your Lap-Band surgery, you will be expected to start making changes in your diet. Your surgeon will have you begin a special pre-op diet that is designed to get your body ready for surgery and make recovery easier.

The typical pre-op diet will include 70 to 120 grams of Protein each day.

Soo... I fell off the wagon at the end of day 1 and had a salad. I'm supposed to be only liquids only, but I'm not sure what's considered a good liquid choice. do pureed Soups count? or only broth? *sigh* i dunno... therefore, i'm trying to stick to 75% Protein shakes and supplement with the occasional pureed veggies/soup. my program was kinda lousy with the food suggestions.

as for Protein Shakes - i'm crazy picky and hate things that taste fake, so it has been a struggle. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury was better than the few I tried from The Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc... I have to say that I really like the Unjury chicken Soup - it's a blessing to have a break from the sweet stuff. I recommend getting a sampler pack to try all their flavors. The other brand that EVERYONE MUST TRY is Syntrax nectar Protein - their chocolate truffle is amazing. They have 13 flavors that you can get a sampler of that range from decent to delicious.

hope this helped! good luck!

Soo... I fell off the wagon at the end of day 1 and had a salad. I'm supposed to be only liquids only, but I'm not sure what's considered a good liquid choice. do pureed Soups count? or only broth? *sigh* i dunno... therefore, i'm trying to stick to 75% Protein shakes and supplement with the occasional pureed veggies/soup. my program was kinda lousy with the food suggestions.

as for Protein Shakes - i'm crazy picky and hate things that taste fake, so it has been a struggle. unjury was better than the few I tried from The Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, etc... I have to say that I really like the Unjury chicken Soup - it's a blessing to have a break from the sweet stuff. I recommend getting a sampler pack to try all their flavors. The other brand that EVERYONE MUST TRY is Syntrax nectar Protein - their chocolate truffle is amazing. They have 13 flavors that you can get a sampler of that range from decent to delicious.

hope this helped! good luck!

I know that every doctor is a little different, but my doctor allows any type of soup as long as it is not cream based. I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed chewing up the little bites of veggies and meat in my soup :scared2: The soup is once a day, for supper, other than that I have a Protein shake in the morning and at lunch. I can also have sugar free pop-sickles and sugar free Jello.

Edited by AFmom
error

I start my Optifast diet on May 6th!! All liquid diet also!! Yay!

I am on day 5 of my pre-op. The 1st 3 days were HELL (see my post about my Nightmare Weekend & My Breakdown).

My pre-op diet is:

Each day:

9 oz lean Protein from an approved list

2 servings fruit from an approved list

at least 2 servings of veggies but can have unlimited amounts from the approved list

SF Jell-o & SF popsicles

I am ranging between 708 calories on Friday to about 410 the other days. I will be about 500 by the time I eat dinner tonight. I lost 8 pounds between Friday and Monday morning. And to be honest, today I'm stuffed and having a hard time eating everything that I'm supposed to. In fact today instead of eating the 2 boiled egg whites and 2 oz deli ham for Breakfast I drank a Muscle Milk light shake because I knew I didn't have room for it.

Good luck to everyone on their pre-op diets, my surgery is May 5th YEA!!!