Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does Restriction last?

I was banded Feb. 23rd, 2010. I am going in for my 3rd fill this next Monday and I have not experienced restriction yet. I have lost 10 pounds (when I was on liquids after my surgery) but have gained a couple of pounds back. I am frustrated because I thought restriction would come earlier than 3rd or 4th fill. Anyway, how long does restriction last once a person gets there? Thanks so much for any input.

Edited by mysticmind

I was banded 2/22/10. I started with 2.5 cc in my band and had a fill on 3/31 for a total of 4.5 cc. For about a week after my fill I felt restricted. I lost 2 pounds after the fill because I was on liquids for a couple days. Haven't lost an ounce since. I can eat way too much now and will be going in for another fill in a week. My surgeon's office said everyone is different and you need to pay attention to the signs that you need a fill -- not losing, can eat too much, and hungry between meals. I worry about being filled too much and not being able to swallow my own spit! But I guess it's trial and error to get to the elusive sweet spot.

What size band to you have and how much is in it now?

My doc. has said that each fill lasts a bit longer. I have found this to be true. I really felt good restriction after my 3rd fill.

I had my surgery 2/22/10 i have lost 42lbs as of today and i had only 1 fill and that was at time of surgery. I've seen my doctor 2 since then and he did not give me a fill. I see him again next month and im starting to feel hungry between meals. I may call him before then and let him know. I'm on a less than 1000 calorie "diet" I use sparkspeople.com to keep me on track. Im starting to lose 2 to 3 lbs a week which i heard was normal. :thumbup:

Once you reach "true restriction", after several fills, usually, it lasts forever. I am finally there and am 4 months out. It took a long time to get there but it has stayed with me this time. Best wishes!!!

Hi guys (not literally)...this is only my 2nd or 3rd response in 2 months because I would like to start a thread - but don't know how...so here is my response to your thoughts on restriction.

I was banded on 2/26/10, and as far as I know there was nothing in my band (the nurse stressed to me that the band would remain empty until my first fill to get adjusted to it as it has some restriction without a fill considering the swelling and so forth). At first I did feel some restriction and my eating was limited for approx 3 weeks(and yes I was on liquids then pureed then regular), then as time progressed I began to eat foods that were more normal for me - just not quite the same quanity.

I got my first fill on 4/5/10 of 2cc's. At first I did not feel any different, but about a week later my brother took me out to Outback for my birthday(at my request - but he warned me not to try to eat regularly to keep from throwing up my birthday meal) Well...hmmm...there were 4 of us and we had 2 appetizers ( shrooms and bloomin' onion) and I did not eat like I normally would but I did eat a lot (with my brother and husband staring at every bite) then came the salad - and I eat a good 50% of that, but decided to stop so I would be able to eat most of my meal.(ok, ok I know that was stupid). The meal came and I was able to take 3 bites of sweet potato and 2 bites of prime rib and then completely out of the blue with no warning before during that evening (that I noticed)---the most embarrassing thing happened and this was also the 1st time, so I was not prepared. Burning chest pain...felt like something was stuck...and I couldn't drink to wash it thru. I sat there for about 5 - 6 minutes dreading going to restroom until I felt that I had to get up and walk all way on the other side of the building to the restroom to keep from vomitting right there at the table - with everyone in our party staring at me. I did get some relief in the restroom - but it was not my dinner do to speak. It was slimey phlegm stuff...and I don't know what that is or where it came from. that is my experience with restriction.

I feel less restriction now - which I expected. We are leaving for a cruise to alaska on 5/8/10 and I have an appointment for a fill on 4/27/10 along with an evaluation for a breast biopsy from the same surgeon. I am very anxious about both, but I am trying to get on with the preparation for the cruise - thinking it will keep me my mind occupied. The mind is very influential on the outcome of things.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or close to the same thing regarding restriction. This is mine.

Hi guys (not literally)...this is only my 2nd or 3rd response in 2 months because I would like to start a thread - but don't know how...so here is my response to your thoughts on restriction.

I was banded on 2/26/10, and as far as I know there was nothing in my band (the nurse stressed to me that the band would remain empty until my first fill to get adjusted to it as it has some restriction without a fill considering the swelling and so forth). At first I did feel some restriction and my eating was limited for approx 3 weeks(and yes I was on liquids then pureed then regular), then as time progressed I began to eat foods that were more normal for me - just not quite the same quanity.

I got my first fill on 4/5/10 of 2cc's. At first I did not feel any different, but about a week later my brother took me out to Outback for my birthday(at my request - but he warned me not to try to eat regularly to keep from throwing up my birthday meal) Well...hmmm...there were 4 of us and we had 2 appetizers ( shrooms and bloomin' onion) and I did not eat like I normally would but I did eat a lot (with my brother and husband staring at every bite) then came the salad - and I eat a good 50% of that, but decided to stop so I would be able to eat most of my meal.(ok, ok I know that was stupid). The meal came and I was able to take 3 bites of sweet potato and 2 bites of prime rib and then completely out of the blue with no warning before during that evening (that I noticed)---the most embarrassing thing happened and this was also the 1st time, so I was not prepared. Burning chest pain...felt like something was stuck...and I couldn't drink to wash it thru. I sat there for about 5 - 6 minutes dreading going to restroom until I felt that I had to get up and walk all way on the other side of the building to the restroom to keep from vomitting right there at the table - with everyone in our party staring at me. I did get some relief in the restroom - but it was not my dinner do to speak. It was slimey phlegm stuff...and I don't know what that is or where it came from. that is my experience with restriction.

I feel less restriction now - which I expected. We are leaving for a cruise to alaska on 5/8/10 and I have an appointment for a fill on 4/27/10 along with an evaluation for a breast biopsy from the same surgeon. I am very anxious about both, but I am trying to get on with the preparation for the cruise - thinking it will keep me my mind occupied. The mind is very influential on the outcome of things.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or close to the same thing regarding restriction. This is mine.

I would wait until after your cruise to get your fill. Sometimes, you won't know for a couple weeks if your fill is too tight. It would be tragic to go on a cruise and find out you are unable to eat or drink at all. Emergency rooms are not easy to get to or fun to go to for this reason. I was filled a full two weeks before a trip, thinking it was enough time. I had a lot of restriction but was doing fine with it. I had some wine the night before we left and did not know that I would be tighter in the morning after alcohol I swallowed my Vitamin which usually not a problem, but this time, it was a problem. I had an 8 hour flight, and spent the whole time wondering if I was going to have to go to the emergency room when I arrived on the other end of the country. I was not able to keep down even Water. I finally decided not to eat or drink anything at all for awhile. When we got to our destination, I was starting to feel better, and it ended up being fine, but I was very anxious for about 6 hours there. It was a combination of new fill, alcohol, altitude, and taking my Vitamin too early in the morning. It was a valuable lesson. I would have waited if I had known about all of this so thought I would pass it along.

I was banded 2/22/10. I started with 2.5 cc in my band and had a fill on 3/31 for a total of 4.5 cc. For about a week after my fill I felt restricted. I lost 2 pounds after the fill because I was on liquids for a couple days. Haven't lost an ounce since. I can eat way too much now and will be going in for another fill in a week. My surgeon's office said everyone is different and you need to pay attention to the signs that you need a fill -- not losing, can eat too much, and hungry between meals. I worry about being filled too much and not being able to swallow my own spit! But I guess it's trial and error to get to the elusive sweet spot.

What size band to you have and how much is in it now?

My situation sounds alot like yours. My band is 10 cc and I now have 4 cc in it.

what you experienced is not restriction. You had a "stuck" episisode along with sliming brought on by eating to much and probley to fast. "Restriction" is feeling full after eating small quanities of the proper food. Stuck is geberally brought on by not chewing well, eating the wrong foods and over eating. There is a big difference between the two.