Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mental Clarity with Post-Op Diet?

Hi Folks,

I was just banded on Monday. I am definitely sore and taking it slow, but I have noticed something interesting. Since starting the mushies diet, I am sticking to high Protein Shakes and little carbs as recommended by the dietician. I have noticed I have lost the foggy feeling of eating too many carbs. Although I am sore, my mental clarity and energy seems better. Has anyone else noticed feeling better on the post-op diet or is it all in my head? :thumbup:

You were just banded on Monday and already on mushies? Wow.

YES!! I started to notice this a week or two after surgery as well. Almost hyper-energetic and so much less foggy. It didn't even occur to me why that might be-- but I think you're right-- I had been eating a LOT of refined carbs, and when I gave those up post-op, it was like coming out of the clouds.

Cool, huh? :thumbup:

You were just banded on Monday and already on mushies? Wow.

I was only on liquids for 1 day - then puree for 2 weeks, then soft foods for 2 weeks.

I notice too that when I'm hungry - I'm more aware. I think sometimes we "feed" ourselves to the point that we don't even recognize true hunger anymore. I've never been more "clear" than I was during my pre-op diet. (not that I want to return to that! LOL)

YES! I noticed the clarity and a few days later people started to tell me that my eyes were clear and I look brighter. I am 2 months out and staying away from carbs. I feel great, no more junk food for me!

even with the soreness i too felt really good. i am 8 days post op on a liquid diet for 3 weeks. ive lost 18 lbs, however i have become very short with people late in the afternoons, but it might be that i'm not getting enough fuel while at work.

weight.png

I was on the preop diet and felt really great. I had surgery last Wednesday and have been feeling really good, except I have been running out of energy about 2:00 or 3:00 every day, too. I am eating what they recommended and getting all my Water in. Any idea why this would be?

I was on the preop diet and felt really great. I had surgery last Wednesday and have been feeling really good, except I have been running out of energy about 2:00 or 3:00 every day, too. I am eating what they recommended and getting all my Water in. Any idea why this would be?

I also felt great on the pre-op diet... I am 2 weeks post-op and also find myself running out of energy in the afternoon. My doctor says this is due to several factors, the largest 2 being that my body is still healing and recovering, and that my oxygen intake is still reduced due to the hernia repair. I have found that eating/drinking something full of Protein when I find myself needing a nap gives me the energy I need to get through the rest of the day. Good luck Froggie D! Remember, we are still new to the process... I'm sure things will get back to "normal" soon enough :thumbup:

I'm so glad to here others experiencing the mental clarity as well. I was also on a clear diet for just one day and then been on mushies for the almost a week now. Definitely sore, but like others are experiencing, mentally I just feel better and even more in control.

Montynic, I've been really tired too, but just like others said, my surgeon also said it takes a good few weeks to get back to your normal self. Not only did we have surgery, but this includes a major change it diet as well! I don't get folks on here that say they are banded and back to normal a couple of days later, but good for them, though! I wish I was that way!

Froggie, drink a Protein Shake in the afternoon.

Froggie, drink a Protein shake in the afternoon.

I am eating a can of chicken for lunch - 3oz - 5 oz depending on how much I can eat. Do you think I should have a Protein Drink too around 1:30? I

calculated my food yesterday and I had 650 calories and 91 grams of Protein. I am slowly losing weight and walking.

I will try that!

Froggie, maybe you should talk to a nutritionist. It sounds like your Protein is good, but maybe not enough calories? Do you have one you could call at your hospital or something? Just a thought...

I see my surgeon tomorrow and will discuss it with him. I still feel quite a bit of restriction from the surgery, not a bad thing, I think, so it is hard to eat more.

I never in my wildest imagination ever thought someone would suggest I am not getting enough calories. Wow, big eater me!

I love feeling restricted. I assume it will wear off, but at least I know what it feels like!

I am 10 days out. I couldn't even keep sips of Water down for the first week. I got so dehydrated that I was dizzy so no metal clairty for me.

FroggieD, that is too funny! I never thought I would be worried about getting enough calories either! Just a few weeks ago I could have eaten 650 calories in one bite!