Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pain in port area after running....

I just started run/walking on my new tredmill. Last night while running my port area felt strange, almost like I irratated sp) it or something. Today while doing dishes I leaded into the sink & felt a little discomfort/cramping in port area. I called doc & left a message. Anyone ever have this??? TY!

YOu could have pulled some scar tissue that you form around your port. Or even a stich that holds you port in place

I just started run/walking on my new tredmill. Last night while running my port area felt strange, almost like I irratated sp) it or something. Today while doing dishes I leaded into the sink & felt a little discomfort/cramping in port area. I called doc & left a message. Anyone ever have this??? TY!

Yup... talked to my doctor about it. He told me it's because I'm losing weight! :laugh: He said that because the port is attached to my abs and you use your abs while runningwalking it could be rubbing up against my ribs which is causing the soreness. He told me that I'm probably going to need a "skinny girls port" in a few months time. See what your doctor tells you too! Good luck! :blushing:

Yup... talked to my doctor about it. He told me it's because I'm losing weight! :w00t: He said that because the port is attached to my abs and you use your abs while runningwalking it could be rubbing up against my ribs which is causing the soreness. He told me that I'm probably going to need a "skinny girls port" in a few months time. See what your doctor tells you too! Good luck! :blushing:

well my doc sent me in for a CT scan yesterday. She thinks a stitch may have come undone. Waiting on results now. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for info! :laugh:

Well, apparently a scan does not even show if you pulled out a stitch. :frown: I guess she did the scan to make sure everything was still working right. Did GI ect. Scan was good. BUT she thinks I may have pulled a stitch. So, she is hoping it will just heal on its own. :frown: If it keeps bothering me she will go in & move my port down.

Plus when I start exercising again I will wear a binder around my belly for more support. Just ordered one for $15.00 This is where I am at for now. :frown:

Well, apparently a scan does not even show if you pulled out a stitch. :wink2: I guess she did the scan to make sure everything was still working right. Did GI ect. Scan was good. BUT she thinks I may have pulled a stitch. So, she is hoping it will just heal on its own. :mad2: If it keeps bothering me she will go in & move my port down.

Plus when I start exercising again I will wear a binder around my belly for more support. Just ordered one for $15.00 This is where I am at for now. :)

I wear a really tight compression shirt to hold my stomach down as much as possible. If I don't, my port hurts. I bet the binder will work great! :crying:

I wear a really tight compression shirt to hold my stomach down as much as possible. If I don't, my port hurts. I bet the binder will work great! :thumbup:

Hi! Do you wear it only when you exercise? What kind of exercise do you do? I think it was the jogging that bothered my port. It is a bit more sore again today. I tried to do some picking up yesterday around the house. It's frustratingwhen you can't bend down. I have 3 little girls to pick up after & my house is falling apart! Not to mention now the stomach flu is starting in the house. Thats all i need is to get that! :thumbup:

Hi! Do you wear it only when you exercise? What kind of exercise do you do? I think it was the jogging that bothered my port. It is a bit more sore again today. I tried to do some picking up yesterday around the house. It's frustratingwhen you can't bend down. I have 3 little girls to pick up after & my house is falling apart! Not to mention now the stomach flu is starting in the house. Thats all i need is to get that! :thumbup:

Hi! I hope the stomach flu doesn't invade your house!! That would be awful!

Hopefully your port pain will go away soon too so you can bend over again! That was the most frustrating part of surgery for me.

I run, walk and use the elliptical for exercise. I wear my compression shirt whenever I run or use my elliptical since they cause my chubby tummy to bounce around more :thumbup: My port is right under the largest part of my stomach so it really pulls if I do any major jumping/bouncing.

Yes, thats where my port is too lol! I think my fat jumping all around casued some of the port pain. Ty!

I am having a lot of pain where my port is after running. I had my band in march of this year and have lost close to 70 pounds. I started running in april and have done several 5k races so far this summer. My next race is 4 weeks away and I am finding now that when I'm running I start getting some pain in my port area and then the next day it hurts too. It feels like a pulled muscle. I was just reading this thread and am wondering if I should be wearing something more supportive when I run. I do find that I'm sucking in my stomach when I'm running and I try not to thinking that might be why I'm hurting.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Karen

I had the same problem, i went to the emergency room to get CT everything looked okay!!! What i do now is wear i something tight like my Spanx to avoid my belly from bouncing around.... I haven't had that problem again!!!

I'm happy I found this thread! I've lost 84 lbs since my 9/3/09 banding, but within the past 3 weeks, the port area has become sooo achy. I was banded in Mexico and have been mentally agonizing over the cost of a repeat trip for a repair of some kind. Now I realize that I probably overdid the exercise in an effort to lose the last 10 lbs. I'll try some sort of support around the waist and chill on exerting quite so much. The port feels like an intrusive hard thing and I wish it was smaller.

I've had that happen before. It feels like a cramp or bad gas. Is that what you felt?

Yes, it' feels like a cramp or a nagging pulling sensation. Haven't exercised in a couple days and it's much better. Not exercising isn't an option, so I bought what was described on the package as a waist cincher, only in a bigger size so it doesn't actually bind, just supports.