Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

Happy Friday everyone!!

I finally hit the 100 pound loss mark this morning and am not excited. I'm happy but not excited. Something is definitely wrong with me.

PS. I didn't cheat by getting sick. :frown:

Haaaay!!!! I been dissed! tee hee :frown: I'll be picking up a Bob voodoo doll in New Orleans, just you wait! When you least expect it, expect it!

Congrats on the century mark!

You bring up an interesting point. Before my surgery, I said I was going to take my measurements each week and take pictures and really track my progress.

As things went along I found I didn't really have an interest in doing that. I felt totally different about my "diet" and my body. I didn't feel like I needed to do all that because this was my new way of life. I didn't need to document the fact that I was smaller, because I was confident that I would stay this way.

What do you all think?

Congrats to you too Denise!!!

:frown:

Whew! I think I'm caught up--and will do my best to respond to everyone...please forgive me if I miss something. I'm still kind of scattered.

Bob, first of all, CONGRATULATIONS! 100 pounds is a huge accomplishment. I totally understand the inclination to sort of hold back a little, in terms of excitement. It's kind of weird being in the position where regain just isn't in the cards any longer. (No, it's NOT. I know some bandsters do, but we do not. It's all in the attitude, right?)

You sound an awful lot like Mark when discussing your cat. If I didn't occasionally catch him kissing one or the other of them (he calls it "tasting" them), I might take his threats to barbecue them seriously.

Elfie, your dog is adorable. I'm so glad you rescued her from a life of neglect. Truman loves to eat snow, too. Then again, Truman likes to eat pretty much anything. He takes after his mother.

Denise, WTG on your mega-loss! I wish you felt better, but hey---it did the trick for you, so maybe I'll take you up on the diseased Kleenex. Also, congratulations on your excellent blood sugar! That is really wonderful news---and so, so important for your long-term well-being.

Barb--nice to meet you! I'm so glad you're beginning to feel better postop. I look forward to getting to know you.

Leigha, I know you've jumped the hurdle, but try to remind yourself the next time it happens (and it will) that 10 days does not a plateau make. That's just a body being a bit stubborn. Plateaus can last weeks. When any of us hit them (and we will), we'll just forge ahead, doing what we have to do....and we'll get past 'em. Somewhere, I have a good list of things to shake things up to bust a plateau; I will have to dig it up and post it.

Anyway, I'm glad you're heading downward again--I knew you would!

I agree with your assessment that there are different kinds of bandsters. I'd bet most of us are #2s. (That doesn't sound as good as I thought it might!) Again, attitude is everything!

Juliansmom--I'm glad you're back! I hadn't seen you on this thread for a few days before I "disappeared."

Theknewme--Welcome! Keep reading, and you'll find that, while requiring plenty of planning and dedication to new good habits, the band makes life so much more enjoyable. Bob's right--attitude is everything; those of us who approach the "work" in a positive way (think of the changes as something healthful and good) really do tend to do better in the long run. Plus, it just makes the process lots more pleasant. I just know you'll do fine :frown:

Countrychic--By now, you're one of "us"--congratulations! I hope you were pleasantly surprised as you eased out of anesthesia, and are well on your way to recovery by now.

Gloria--I always love your guide for using the band as a tool.

Amey--welcome!

Illuminationlady--If you check in while on your travels, Happy Birthday! I hope Monday's an especially good day for you :frown:

Liz--hasn't the taste of spring we've been getting been heavenly? We're getting rain right now, but man, does it ever beat the snow we were buried under for so long!

Whew---I think that's everyone!

Things here are somewhat calmer. Mark is home and hanging in...we were supposed to return to see the transplant dudes on Monday, but the honcho got called out of town on an emergency, so we go in on the 29th. We were given lots of reassurance that this wait will be safe. (It kind of worries me that this was offered unsolicited...but I may just be reading too much into things.) Anyway, he's feeling okay, knock wood---so we're just living life as best we can...

I'm glad to be slipping back into routine a bit more. The hospital commute days were hard, food-wise. The hospital cafeteria was surprisingly easy for a bandster, but I was spending so much time on the road that by the time I got home at night, stressed, getting anything down was tricky. Stress apparently does a number on my stoma.

Now, though, I'm much better.

The scale is going down in tiny increments--which is fine with me. DOWN is all I care about! I found myself able to wear a pair of size 18 pants I hadn't been able to get over my hips in over 2 years, which thrilled me. And people are starting to notice my loss...people who don't necessarily know I am banded.

I like that part!

I've got a lovely pot of black bean chicken chili simmering for dinner, and am S.T.A.R.V.I.N.G. Truman and I walked a ton today---and my body is saying, "Feed me, Seymour!"

I hope you all have a wonderful evening!

Denise, it must feel so great to be at 150! Great job! How tall are you? I set my goal weight at 150 and I am 5'7". When I get closer to that number I may adjust my goal...... we'll see. My weightloss has slowed down. I have an appt. with my surgeon on April 2 and am not sure what he will say. I fear he will want to take some fill out and I really don't like the idea. I want to try to take off at least a few more pounds before the 2nd.

Hi Humming Bird,

I am about 5'5" if I stand really, really straight and have shoes on. Most BMI charts include a one inch heel, from what I can find. So, I go with 5'5" on the calculators.

If I do my normal poor posture, I am around 5'4" (that is what my surgeon used).

My PCP wants me down to around 140 on my scale (145 on his--with clothes on).

I am taking it one day and one pound at a time. I'm in a size 10 now. Some designers I can wear an 8. The last time I was around 140, I could wear a 4 to 6. I also had to work like a fiend to stay there, but I did not have the help of the band. I also appeared very tiny just because of the way I hold my weight.

Do you think you are too tight? I must have missed it up thread...sorry. This thread moves pretty fast sometimes!

My surgeon would ask if I thought I was too tight, and what am I able to eat.

When I felt I was too tight I had gotten stuck on mashed potatoes. He agreed!

Am wondering if a doctor can force you to have an unfill. I can't imagine them holding you down and finding your port! :frown:

But if you are unable to eat and your caloric intake is low, that could account for the lack of weight loss. There is always the possibility that you will have a scheduling conflict and need to change the appointment and have to delay it for a couple of weeks. :frown:

All we can do is press on in the fight! You could just go stand out in the cold without a jacket, shivering burns calories, that might help!

I probably am too tight and have been since September.

I had steady weight loss most of that time so did not want to mess with it. I have not been back to the doc since my 2nd fill in Sept. I can not eat meat or anything real solid. In the past month I have started to eat some fish. My calorie intake is very low. I just have the feeling I will stop losing or maybe even gain if he takes any Fluid out.

I don't know how the tightness stuff works personally but my nutritionist said that most people that are too tight resort to eating just sliders and drinking high calorie fluids. SO, tighter is not necessarily better for weight loss. I don't know if he was just trying to scare us or not.

I'm hoping I never to get to the point that I can't eat rice. That is my carb of choice and I haven't had it in over a month. :frown:

Denise, do you need/plan on having plastic surgery? That is usually at least 5 more pounds gone.

Hi Everyone!

Saturday is my official weigh in day:

149 1/2!!!

Missed normal BMI by -that- much (1/2 lb)! I am hopeful that with all the walking I'll be doing in New Orleans next week, that I can maintain the loss from the cold and maybe get rid of the extra 1/2 pound.

I am feeling better today. I think the anti-biotics are starting to kick in.

Humming Bird,

You sound like you could be too tight. When I was too tight, my surgeon took out only half what he put in and it was glorious! I could eat and went back to my kind of steady weight loss.

For me, that means same weight for a few weeks then down 2-3 lbs in a week.

You might find you feel a whole lot better with a little bit removed. It doesn't have to be a total unfil.

Bob,

I have been very fortunate in the skin department. My tummy looks as good as a 46 year old tummy could without doing hudreds of crunches a day. The only places I have issues are my bat wings--which I can thank my mother for--thanks Mom! And my chin.

We are folk of limited means. Long story, but DH had to take a reduced retirment when his job was abolished. So a bat wing-ectomy is not likely to happen, as I can easily hide them, and I doubt my insurance company would find it medically necessary as they cause no harm. It is a fun joke in our house that if my DH makes me mad I will use them like a bullwhip and he won't know what hit him. The more I lose the more whip-like they get!

The turkey neck on the other hand....I have a scar on my neck from when I was a teen. I have had it revised. When I was overweight it was hardly noticeable. Now the skin sags oddly due to the tightness of the scar and the looseness of the normal skin next to it.

So, perhaps I can convince my insurance company that this is a defect and is reconstructive not cosmetic. But, that would not remove a large amount of skin as far as weight goes.

Guess I can't take "the easy way out" and have PS! HA! Right, easy way out, indeed.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!

Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh!!!!

I updated my tracker....LOOK AT MY BMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24.9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NORMAL!!!

Do I get a free toaster?

WOOOO HOOO! on the "normal" BMI

It's happy dance time for you!:wink2::)

Denise! That is AWESOME! Congratulations!

After Humming Bird asked me my height, I realized I had it set wrong in the tracker! tee hee!

Cocoa is normal!:wink2:

Cocoa is normal!:wink2:

That'll be the day!! hee hee!

Yeah Cocoa! Woooohooooo!!!

Betsy--glad Mark is home and resting during the wait. You are in my prayers!!

Bob--holy wow! 100 lbs!!!! Congrats! What an inspiration!!

Illuminationlady--Happy birthday to you!!

Leigha-- thanks so much for all your help these past few days!! I feel a lot better and I'm noticing the restriction, now that I'm not expecting to be full after 4 bites!

NSV for me today-- bought a dress months ago for gigs (I'm a singer part time) and it had a bit to go before I could zip it (two weeks ago). I have a gig tonight and thought I'd try it on and it fits!!!!! And I didn't need any Crisco on the zipper!!! I posted pics on my fb page for anyone who cares to look :-)!!