Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded, banding, bands--verb--To assemble or unite in a group

LOL. Now that, is funny. Maybe I need one of those by the pantry to stop me before I graze. "Step onto the scale" would make me think about what I shouldn't eat.

:huh2: I never thought of that...I NEED one of those now! Or maybe just like Jiminy Cricket sitting on my shoulder

Oh speaking of talking scales and the Twilight Zone. A LONG time ago I saw a Tales for the Darkside or something and this woman went to this Dr because she wanted to lose weight. I don't remember if it was pills or what, but what happened was all of her food started talking to her and saying like "don't eat me...don't kill me" so obviously she starved to death. I know I'm strange, but the talking scale made me think of that.

Oh speaking of talking scales and the Twilight Zone. A LONG time ago I saw a Tales for the Darkside or something and this woman went to this Dr because she wanted to lose weight. I don't remember if it was pills or what, but what happened was all of her food started talking to her and saying like "don't eat me...don't kill me" so obviously she starved to death. I know I'm strange, but the talking scale made me think of that.

Ok...it was telemarketers and glasses...but it was a long time ago

YouTube - Tales From The Darkside - Love Hungry (1/3)

YouTube - Tales From The Darkside - Love Hungry (2/3)

YouTube - Tales From The Darkside - Love Hungry (3/3)

There's the whole episode, but it's split into 3 parts

Congrats Crystl and Melody

Pretty bummed. My Uncle died so going to NY this week. Working hard to not emotionally eat. Doing good so far. Although all my NY folks want me to pick up Krispy Kreme doughnuts and bring them with me!

On a side note, another bandster and myself were venting that our surgeon does not have a support group, so we are going to start one. We talked about the urge to clean your plate Even when we you put a small amount, fighting the urge to go back and eating to the point of feeling stuffed. The soft signs are not there because of having no restriction. Does restriction help you from literally taking another bite? Since my doc is stingy with fills, she has had one fill! I am just starting to have this emotional battle like her with less restriction. I was just asking because I wanted to know if it was something that the band with restriction can help or do she and I need to learn to live with and conquer this mental demon by sheer will and determination?

"do she and I need to learn to live with and conquer this mental demon by sheer will and determination?"

Hell no, if we could do that we wouldn't need to pay $10K and have someone cut on our body.

Sometimes I wonder, Why we aren't allowed to be physically hungry? Before I had restriction I was just plain hungry. Not head hunger, not what I call mouth hunger (eating because it tastes good) but actual, my stomach is empty and needs food, hunger.

When I went to see my Dr for the first time, I told him I wanted to be banded and I was low BMI, he was kind of smirking at me and I could tell he was skeptical. Then he said "OK, lets do a barium swallow and see what is in there" As soon as the picture showed up on the screen he said "WOW! That is one of the biggest stomaches I have ever seen! I cant believe you only weigh 195! You must be starving! I believe some of us are either born with a large stomach or at some time we stretch it out and then it takes a large portion of food to fill it, and if we don't fill it, we are hungry.

Fills help, I do not believe in being so tight that you cant eat real food and drink your meals, however, I don't think that giving up bread, Pasta and rice is too tight.

If the band worked without fills the makers of the bands would save lots of money by not having a port. A band without fills is like a car without gas....you can sit in it but your not getting anywhere.

OK I am getting off my soapbox now..... sheesh!

Shad,

My experience is that restriction does keep me from taking that bite too many. At some point when I was on my way to being overfilled, I hit a point where I just 'knew' that I had enough and even though the food was good, I was able to put my fork down. Partly because I was satisfied, but partly because I knew if I took that next bite, it was going to cause me pain because my pouch was now too full.

I'm not at that point yet but at least now I know what I'm working towards.

What I find absolutely fascinating though is that eggs, bread, chicken...all became taboo (stuck) at around 6cc the first time round but after my unfill from 8.75cc to 6cc, I could suddenly eat all these things again. Granted at 8cc I have to take much tinier bites and chew thoroughly but I can have them. The care they take, however, means I just don't eat that much of them because they're too much trouble. I have a feeling that once the band gets another tweak or two, they'll be back off my list.

Shammah-for me, yes fills helped, but every once in a while I am/was (unfilled now) that bratty child that would just try to push the limits and eat that one last bite or look how little is still left on the plate and end up in pain. Why I do it to myself who knows. I know for me sometimes I honestly get frustrated and angry when I can't eat anymore and it tastes really good. i suppose that's when you know you have an eating disorder lol. Fills or no fills, restriction or not, you will still always have mental issues with food to deal with, but yes restriction helps.

You know, I understand why we'd be tighter right after a fill, but can someone explain to me why I get more restriction each day? It seems like it takes 2 weeks after a fill for me to get the full effects of that last fill.

I had a fill last Tuesday and yesterday I noticed that I seem to have more restriction in the sense that, not only am I content after my meal, but I actually felt 'full'...knowing that one more bite would put me over.

I'm not complaining as I'm hoping this will ultimately be my sweet spot for awhile since this is the time of year when I get the urge to cook and bake...which I don't do too much of in the summer because it's just too darned hot most of the time.

Fortunately, my husband works at the local college in the IT department...meaning they have lots of student workers (aka 'locusts') and I just send anything I don't freeze into work with him. We all win.

Looks like winter may be moving in here. Low 60's and rain today and tomorrow and then it drops down to the low 40's. I can't wait for the snow!!

Have a good one y'all!

Melody

Ok...it was telemarketers and glasses...but it was a long time ago

My headache must be affecting my vision. I thought you said 'teletubbies'. I always knew those things were on the Darkside. :thumbup:

Melody

Shad,

I am sorry to hear about your uncle. :thumbup:

My .02 on the donuts...if you feel you must take them some, and can resist the temptation, stick 'em in your trunk. If they're one of your trigger foods, don't take them at all. Those who love you will understand.

Thanks everybody for the insight! I feel better. I was beginning to feel like I was whining and not using the band as tool--you have helped me see right what I have thought along and that is right now I do not have much of a tool!

Thanks Melody--I am good with taking the Krispy Kreme--they are so sweet--they have always made me sick. If I do eat, I can only eat one and that has to be with milk. So all they way from NC, I will cart 3 dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts to NY! Besides--the yummy feeling diminishes without the "HOT" sign on:biggrin:

A talking scale--hmm...mine will probably need to have the ability to curse at me:wink2:

Steve is a fickle bitch. Seriously. Around 2 this afternoon the GI bug bit the dust and I went from barely dragging through the office to being on top of the world. My co-workers think I'm a freak (okay, my co-workers know I'm a freak but this just confirmed it, yet again). And now i'm just dandy. I too struggle with that "one more bite" issue. I'm getting better with time but still gets me from time to time. I don't want to be that nut that keeps their band so tight they can't eat antyhing. I'd like to be able to occasionally have a bite of bread and not feel like I'm going to die.... My nurse practitioner finds it odd that I, repeatedly, continue to get tighter weeks and weeks after a fill. I'm not whining, well, maybe a little, because, well heck, I'm sneaking awfully close to onederland, I have a band that is less than half full, and I feel better than I have in my entire adult life! I just wish I understood dear Steve a little better!

Leigha, I love you, you crack me up!

Christie,

I've decided I'm never going to understand Hilda, but as long as she works I won't complain. My band also gets tighter for at least 2 weeks after a fill.

Steve is a fickle bitch. Seriously. Around 2 this afternoon the GI bug bit the dust and I went from barely dragging through the office to being on top of the world. My co-workers think I'm a freak (okay, my co-workers know I'm a freak but this just confirmed it, yet again). And now i'm just dandy. I too struggle with that "one more bite" issue. I'm getting better with time but still gets me from time to time. I don't want to be that nut that keeps their band so tight they can't eat antyhing. I'd like to be able to occasionally have a bite of bread and not feel like I'm going to die.... My nurse practitioner finds it odd that I, repeatedly, continue to get tighter weeks and weeks after a fill. I'm not whining, well, maybe a little, because, well heck, I'm sneaking awfully close to onederland, I have a band that is less than half full, and I feel better than I have in my entire adult life! I just wish I understood dear Steve a little better!

Leigha, I love you, you crack me up!

Steve is indeed one of a kind. As for Phil--He is not feeling/filling me and I am not feeling him:thumbdown:

Shammah, I am truly sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your family.

About the Krispy Kreme, the last food I got really stuck on, was a dough nut. Just don't go there! Put them in the trunk, good idea.

Oh my gosh, y'all. I thought I was the only one struggling with last-bite-itis! I don't know how many times I've done it.

I also don't know how many times I've wondered WHY I could push so hard to put more food down my gullet after undergoing such a drastic measure as WLS to get control of my eating.

Even after almost three years I still find myself thinking, oh, just eat this last bite or two on the plate.

Why? What are the consequences of I don't? Will the starving children the world over suddenly not be starving? I don't think so. Is my mother going to get mad at me for not cleaning my plate? I don't think so. Butters might just get a treat, he likes that! If I took even a little bit less, I could have lunch for the next day.

It took a long time for my head to come to terms with the fact that my mouth was not done chewing when my brain got the signal that my pouch was full. I mean, we were used to "THIS" much food crossing our taste buds, then suddenly "this" much food was crossing them, it just wasn't right.

Oh well, life is good just the same. Last night, I listened to the "don't take one more bite or you'll get stuck signal." I was so glad I did!