Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how many of the bandsters drink pop? I dnt I havent had pop since november n I had a strong craving for one. But I didnt give n to temptation. Will a diet pop hurt?

That's exactly the problem with soda--it HURTS. Not as in causing lasting damage, but the carbon dioxide bubbles just cause PAIN.

So yes--literally. It will hurt.

I have heard many reasons for not drinking soda pop... I have also read about a lot of people who do...

I'm not a soda drinker by nature... I prefer milk and Water and since being banded Crystal light... HOWEVER, with that being said, When I am at the movies with friends I love a little popcorn and soda.... I will take a small 1 cup size bowl and limit myself to that much popcorn and I usually take one or two swigs of my friends or daughters soda... (I sneak in my own crystal light or Vitamin Water and drink that as my main drink)...

I have done that twice and I didn't feel gassy or bloated or pain... But, because I am not a soda drinker, I can stop at one or two drinks and not go crazy hog wild with it.... Don't ask me about chocolate though because thats a whole NOTHER story... haha....

My surgeon said that the chemicals in diet soday can trigger hunger.

What bandster needs that?

I stopped diet pop on Nov. 1, 2009 as a way of making a commitment to the surgery. I drink mainly Water. My surgeon says soda is fine beyond 6 weeks post-op. I plan to stick with the water.

I drink diet soda about 3 times a week...but I always let it go flat, if I do not it hurts sometime going down.

That is my only vice..I love soda used to drink about 1 liter of diet per day, maybe more, so My surgeon says moderateion is the key, but I can drink.

Hope that helps.

You must be a Michigander if you say "pop" or maybe Ohio? I'm from Michigan and gave up pop 2 weeks before my surgery last March. I'm going one year without it this month with the exception of Christmas time. I thought I could treat myself to some diet Ginger Ale. I won't make that mistake again. I had horrible pains for several days and had to go back on to liquids to settle my stomach down. Not worth the price to me and I was a diet pepsi freak pre-surgery. The temptation will pass if you don't give in to it. Or if you're like me and just have to find out, you'll find out the hard way. I have a lot of Fluid in my band so maybe it depends on how tight you are. I think the gas got trapped in the stomach below the band and it was painful. Bottomline, I'd follow whatever advise your surgeon gives you.

My doc said no carbonation because it will hurt. I've also heard that it can cause damage to your band if you drink it enough. So I gave up soda and coffee (because of the caffine) in August. I drink Crystal Light and Decaf ice tea.

I took my neice and nephew to their favorite restaurant for lunch the other day (IKEA, hey they are 7 and 9) and didnt' think about what the place had to drink when I paid for the glass. I took one sip of diet Pepsi and thought I was going to vomit. The pain was intense and wow, it was not nausea but worse, I just wanted to get that stuff out of my throat.

I wound up getting some Water and felt better after I burped about 6 times.

I used to love coke but haven't had an urge since early August when I was prepping for the band.

My one problem will be long distance driving. I drive to FL about once a year to stay with my sister. I drink Mountain Dew red and it helps me stay awake, and alert on the drive. I won't be drinking that anymore but can't take the jolt that those caffeine shots give. I sip the mountain dew over a 2 hour period so it wasn't a jolt. guess now I might have to stop and take a nap somewhere.

My Doc say it is ok and I drink it all the time. I have no pain with it. I have only had one fill so I don't know if that makes a difference. I drink it straight from the can or bottle.

I was a diet pop addict (yep, originally from Ohio and now in Michigan :frown:) before my surgery. I gave it up right after the seminar when we were told it was on the 'no-no' list.

I have since asked why and the response was that some people have a problem with the carbonation (creating serious gas pains in the stomach and difficulty burping it out) but more importantly, the sweetness and sodium in the pop triggers cravings and 'head' hunger. They said it was a myth that drinking soda will stretch the pouch and/or hurt the band.

Another reason to avoid pop, though, is that the chemicals used to create the carbonation interfere with our bodies ability to absorb Calcium. It is recommended that women avoid carbonation as one of the ways to prevent osteoporosis.

As I said, I was a diet pop addict...and I haven't had even one since the seminar and, truth be told, I haven't missed it. I have no doubt, though, that if I drink even one, I'll be back on that merry-go-round of craving the carbonation. Best avoided in my case.