Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this "bandster hell?"

I was banded on January 12. So far, I've lost 18.5 lbs, 15 of them the first week! I haven't lost anything in about a week and its FRUSTRATING! I eat every 4 hours and about 1/2 cup of food for meals then maybe a yogurt or Protein Shake as a snack.

I exercise 5 days a week, on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes usually more like 40 minutes each time. I have to wait 8 weeks for my first fill which is scheduled for March 29th.

Is this normal and is there anything else I should do?

I guess it is what people call bandster hell. Keep in mind though... you lost a significant amount of weight in a short period of time. The body will always adjust to that and stop temporarily. It will happen time and time again during your weight loss.

Be assured that you are doing everything just right.

I was looking back at my emails to my dietitian from the beginning, in the first month after surgery. I stopped losing weight about week two, until my first fill, and then it just started dropping off again. I don't really have an explanation for why we start losing again after a fill... If I am doing everything right all along, why not lose all along?

Be patient with yourself... keep up the good work, and one day it will start up again, I promise.

Be sure to get LOTS of Water and to take your Vitamins too! They are unbelievably important for loss!

Good luck!!!

Hey, I'm there in bandster hell, too! (I'm also in SJ!)

I was banded on 1/20/10 and have been stalled at 16 pounds for about a week now, even with following all the rules. I am disappointed, but I was aware that this would/could happen. I have scheduled my first fill for 2/26/10, and am looking forward to it. In the meantime, I'm going to keep following the rules and trying my best, along with keeping a positive attitude, which is WORK! :lol:

Be happy you have lost that much!

I was banded 1.20.2010. My dr made me loose 35 lbs BEFORE they would band me. Since then, I have only lost 9.5 lbs with the band. It takes time, and lots of dedication. You will get there!

Welcome to Bandster Hell! Yes, this is it for a while. Some people don't reach restriction until their 5-6 fill. Just be patient with yourself and the band will soon be working. Eat healthy foods and try not to eat too much. I have maintained for 4 weeks and am proud of that! Although I was 2 lbs. lighter is a.m. Look for support here. I couldn't have made it this far without my band buddies!!!!

I don't understand the purpose of bandster hell. Bandster hell is when you have your band, but no restriction and are trying to eat as if you have restriction. In other words...you're 'dieting' and feeling hungry just as you were pre-band.

My doc's advice was to eat if I was hungry, but make good choices. In other words, I could sit down and have my baked potato, salad and 6+ oz of steak and not be concerned about the '1 cup' limit if I was hungry. He also advised Snacks between meals and mid-evening. Snacks meaning 'good' snacks like a hard boiled egg, a couple ounces of cheese, half a cup of cottage cheese or (my personal favorite) a low carb, low cal Protein shake.

I also don't understand why doctors make their patients wait months for that first fill or wait months between fills when it's not necessary. I had my first fill at 4 weeks and follow-up fills at approximately every 2 weeks and *I* decided if I needed a fill, not the doctor.

Guess the difference is that my doctor has a band as well and has first hand experience to go with his "book learnin'". :lol:

I'm at a bit more than 3 months postop with 8.5cc in my band and a few temporary restriction after my last two fills (and hopefully this one is permanent) and slowly but steadily losing weight...and didn't do bandster hell.

Calm down, relax it sounds like you are doing everything you are suspose to be doing. I d go with weighing yourself less maybe every two weeks. You'll be surprized everything you are doing will work,..........just chill don't get caught in what the scale is saying at one moment

Doesn't sound like hell to me--sounds like you're doing really well. I was banded the same day, am on a protein-only diet, exercise for at least an hour a day, and am down 8 pounds, post-op. It's come off steadily over the 3.5 weeks or so, but slowly. That's on top of only about 7 during the preop diet.

18 pounds in 3.5 weeks is ASTOUNDING.

I agree that it's very difficult when HUNGRY---but your progress is really, really good IMO

ETA: Is there any way your surgeon would get you in sooner for the first fill? I have mine on Friday, and a second on 3/3. The light at the end of the tunnel!

Edited by BetsyB

I don't understand the purpose of bandster hell. Bandster hell is when you have your band, but no restriction and are trying to eat as if you have restriction. In other words...you're 'dieting' and feeling hungry just as you were pre-band.

My doc's advice was to eat if I was hungry, but make good choices. In other words, I could sit down and have my baked potato, salad and 6+ oz of steak and not be concerned about the '1 cup' limit if I was hungry. He also advised Snacks between meals and mid-evening. Snacks meaning 'good' snacks like a hard boiled egg, a couple ounces of cheese, half a cup of cottage cheese or (my personal favorite) a low carb, low cal Protein shake.

I also don't understand why doctors make their patients wait months for that first fill or wait months between fills when it's not necessary. I had my first fill at 4 weeks and follow-up fills at approximately every 2 weeks and *I* decided if I needed a fill, not the doctor.

Guess the difference is that my doctor has a band as well and has first hand experience to go with his "book learnin'". :thumbup:

I'm at a bit more than 3 months postop with 8.5cc in my band and a few temporary restriction after my last two fills (and hopefully this one is permanent) and slowly but steadily losing weight...and didn't do bandster hell.

Good prespective on the whole thing. I, too, am not "dieting" and doing exactly what you describe. I believe it becomes "hell" when one diets because of no restriction. I got tired of starving with all the Protein shakes for the preop diet and decided to go with good food choices and keeping myself comfortable. My doc does fills every two weeks also. But many do not and that's when people lose the faith!

I was banded on January 12. So far, I've lost 18.5 lbs, 15 of them the first week! I haven't lost anything in about a week and its FRUSTRATING! I eat every 4 hours and about 1/2 cup of food for meals then maybe a yogurt or Protein shake as a snack.

I exercise 5 days a week, on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes usually more like 40 minutes each time. I have to wait 8 weeks for my first fill which is scheduled for March 29th.

Is this normal and is there anything else I should do?

Lalmom: Compared to how I'm doing, you're doing great with the exercising and your food intake . . . I was banded on Jan. 12 too and after I went to soft foods, I think I've gone downhill since....not controlling my portions and the hunger creeps up. I guess I just wanted to feel like I did for the first 2.5 to 2 wks...not hungry and only able to eat small portion until the fullness began. So I see my doctor this coming Friday and will be asking for a fill, although I understand some doctors don't do fills until six weeks post-op.....OMG, hope my doc is not one of these!!! I understand your frustration and am going to try and pattern my eating/exercising after your good example! Keep up the good work. :)