Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone taking in 60-70g protein

OK..I'M 1 WEEK POST OP....SO FAR DOWN 14 POUNDS. BUT NOW THE scales ARENT BUDGING! MY DR WANTS ME TO PUSH 60-70G Protein EVERY DAY. ANYONE ELSE TAKING IN THAT MUCH? THE WEIGHT WAS FALLING OFF LIKE MAGIC THE FIRST FEW DAYS...THEN IT JUST STOPPED! :)

GO BACK TO THE DR. IN 2 WEEKS.

~SKIPPY (APRIL)

I was told 40-60 grams of protien. I usually get about 50. Adding canadian bacon to my Breakfast has helped. You might want to throw in a shake. I drink myoplex lite, it has 20 g. of protien. Hope this helps.

I'm supposed to do 65 g of Protein and having trouble with that. I eat a scrambled egg with fat free cheese (10 1/2 g) melted on top for breakfast. Have a shake mid morning for a snack (I use the one you buy at Walmart, one scoop gives you 26 g but I try to put a scoop and a 1/2 to get more protein) and then I make sure my lunch has protein (chicken, turkey, cheese, cottage cheese, etc.) If I need a snack mid afternoon I do a cottage cheese or hard boiled egg and at night I do another shake or I've taken a liking to mixing a sugar free Jello with two spoonfuls of sugar free cool whip and 1/2 scoop of choc Protein Powder (13 g) and mixing like a mousse. Sweet and light. This menu every day gives me more than my recommended protein. I don't have to do both the shake or pudding at night and the afternoon snack but one or the other. HTH.

Hi,

I was told to get a minimum of 50-60 grams a day and that's been a lifesaver. I actually consume around 80-90 on average. Protein aids you with healing, leaves you feeling fuller, longer w/ less food, gives you energy and hopefully will prevent lots of hairloss. I'm 5 weeks out and have lost now a total of 27lbs. The first two weeks the weight came right off, but yes it does slow down dramatically. After speaking w/ my nutritionist we increased my calories to bet. 800 - 1000 and the the scale started to move again. I've also started working out, so that's helping as well. I had only been getting in 600-700 a day and I guess my body went into starvation mode; dramatically slowing down the loss. Ultimately, in the beginning, the goal is to heal properly and Protein helps that cause. There's going to be plenty of opportunities to lose weight as the weeks go by.

Best,

Lauren

I eat 1200-1500 calories per day and consume anywhere from 60-90g of Protein per day.

60-70 grams of Protein is the average daily recommendation for most people. And it's fairly easy to obtain.

I've had my first meal scrambled eggs and turkey sausage this morning and that meal alone was 25 grams of Protein 12 from the eggs and 13 from the sausage. 360 calories.

Later I'll have a protein smoothie, 2 scoops of whey powder (36 grams) with 1/2 a cup of fage greek yogurt (10 grams) and 8 oz of skim milk (8 grams) mixed with strawberries, bananas and apples with a slash of agave nectar, blended with ice. The fruit doesn't have much protein in it, but it's important to stay balanced the entire shake has 54 grams of protein in it. 392 calories not including fruit, with the fruit it's around 500 but it makes 44 oz so you can split that into various servings that come out to about 100 calories each.

Add that to the 25 from breakfast I'm already at 79 grams of protein for the day less any Snacks or dinner.

But as someone else suggested, simple things like mixing protein powder into sf pudding or fage yogurt with sf Jello is a very easy way to get extra protein while keeping your calories down and curbing any hunger.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much!! That really helps me :) I was so worried that I wasnt gonna lose weight due to the Protein. I am using the Jillian Michaels whey Protein powder :blush: it has 15g per serving. I'm getting my protein in...was just worried that maybe it was too much. Thank you all for the help :)

~Skippy (April)

No problem getting my Protein in. I eat my meals 5 hours apart and between each meal, I drink a low carb/low cal Protein shake that has 25gm of Protein. It keeps my blood sugar stable thus keeping me from being hungry and I get 75gm of protein plus whatever I get in my 3 meals.

I was under the impression from my nutritionist that 45-50 g was enough, but recently asked again and was told that 60 min and 70-75 ideal daily. I was on a 5 month stall (when I was doing 45-50 g) eventhough I was exercising, swam 60-100 laps a week! So, I am happy to say that I'm slowly losing again now that I've upped the Protein.< /p>

My surgeon's recommendation is 60-80 grams of Protein per day. I guess I'm a Protein fanatic because I usually have met this requirement before dinner and end up eating around 90 grams of protein in a day (and I haven't even had one Protein Drink, shake, or supplement since being banded).

I have not had a fill yet, though, and am not supposed to eat bread/rice/pasta/potato/etc for the first month. So, I end up filling up on protein, fruit, and vegies. I suggest that if you are having trouble getting the protein in, eliminate starches (such as bread/rice/pasta/potato/etc.) from your diet for at least a few days as it will force you to be more creative about finding protein choices you like.

Honestly, I could never make it through the first month w/absolutely no starches. I usually have a little starch w/one meal per day. But, I think it helps to shift your meal planning around what protein you will have rather than plan the meal first and then figure out how to add enough protein to make your rqmts.