Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Hi NYsparklegirl,

Hope you are having a great Sunday!! Thank you so much for starting this thread. I'm thankful to know that there are others going through the same thing I am. Please tell me where I can find the "Becks Solutions" you mentioned in your post.

Thanks, Monica

What is "Becks Solution?"

Hi, "Becks Solution" is a book about changing the way we think about eating and food. The premise behind it is..its all about our brain not our stomach or mouth or food. Its our brain and how we have been trained to think about food and eating a certain way. In order to loose weight we need to retrain our brain..

Food for thought!

Let me know if you get it and what you think of it!

Jodi

Hi NYsparklegirl,

Hope you are having a great Sunday!! Thank you so much for starting this thread. I'm thankful to know that there are others going through the same thing I am. Please tell me where I can find the "Becks Solutions" you mentioned in your post.

Thanks, Monica

Hi Monica,

Today..was great....I actually had some time to myself which rarely happens. My sister and brother in law who was in the states for vacation came to take my daughter out for the day! Spent the day..just shopping at the mall as it was sooo cold in NY. lol

Hope you had a great day as well.

I was told you can get the book on Amazon.com. I tried three Barnes and Nobles and finially had to have it put on hold at one and then transfered to another in order to pick it up! All sold out...it is a goody. Anyways...good luck finding it. Let me know when you do and if you get it and if you like it and find it helpful

Have a great week Jodi

oh your welcome btw....no need to thank me...thank who ever started this site!!!

When are all of you March bandsters starting your pre-op diet and if you have already started it, what are you doing?

I'm curious, do any of you know of what Protein shakes are the best tasting with the fewest carbs?

Hi.. im in NY as well!! I was orriginally going to have my surgery at NYU as well! As my insurance changed I needed to find a new surgeon so I switched to LI Bariatric Center in Manhasset with Dr. Holover/Dr. Garber. My surgeon is Dr, Holover.

I work in Brooklyn, near Methodist hospital. About 10 minuets away and live in LI. Where are you? Its funny before you said anything about NY....I was thinking after reading about all the consults and tests.....she must also live in NY. lol I had to do all those tests as well. Other states dont recquire them all.

I think we all fear the surgery to some extent..my worst fear? Thinking about flying and having the tube blow up because of the pressure and just pop out of my stomach like on alien. lol I know this isnt really possible but....still its so foreign.

What you and us all need to concentrate on is the thought that this is the means to the end.....not the end!

Its just the begining for all of us.

Looking forward to journeying with you!!

Welcome!

Jodi

Hey Jodi,

I did get an email asking me to come in and consult with Dr.Garber but that would have meant too much travel for me.

Oh boy I hadn't even thought of the device blowing up in a plane :) now I'll have that in mind.

I live in Brooklyn so Methodist is a little more convenient for me. I live in the Canarsie/Spring Creek area.

Funny, there's a Bariatric center within walking distance of my house but I have never heard of it or read about it anywhere so I didn't check them out.

I hope that all my testing goes ok so that I can hurry and get this part over with. Already today they are predicting a big Nor'easter coming our way so I may have to cancel my endoscopy for Wednesday and make it for next week.

I think I may check out that book you recommended. I have already read 3 books about the surgery.

I'm thinking of starting my pre-op diet early. I am so bloated and fat now . I just can't stand myself. I'm going into the last month of my 6 month weight loss and have not lost a pound.

I bought a case of chocolate Muscle milk light and I have samples of some other Protein powders like Chike and unjury.

I would love to lose 15 -20 lbs before my surgery.

Is anyone else trying to lose before surgery and if so how?

Hi Everyone: Well my surgery is set for March 24th. I am 62 years old, 316 lbs, want my life back so I can enjoy retirement, lost my job last April, so now I'm one of the statistics you read about every night. Made up my mind to have the surgery while I was still on Cobra so I wouldn't get

turned down with new health ins. Also wanted to do this while I am still receiving unemployment so there is some money coming in. My social security will go to pay my new health insurance premiums when Cobra runs out, so time is of the essense. I've been thru all my tests and so far so good, no problems. I just want to get it over with. I seem to be stressing about the two weeks before the surgery and the 2-3 weeks after. I hope I make it thru the stress of these two, they scare the hell out of me. Good luck and God Bless all of you. Eileen

When are all of you March bandsters starting your pre-op diet and if you have already started it, what are you doing?

I'm curious, do any of you know of what Protein shakes are the best tasting with the fewest carbs?

Happy Monday All,

I purchased the book that was suggested by NYsparklegirl from Amazon, they had the best price. I start my pre op diet on the 4th, but I was hoping to start sooner, but I'm not sure about the Protein Shakes either. Any suggestions??? I only have 5 tests to finish before the surgery which I will do on the 23 of this month. Well everyone have a wonderful Monday. Those of you on the East coast do try and stay warm. My sister lives in NY so I am going to call her later and see if she has snow yet. TTFN!!!!!!!

I have been doing a "liver reduction diet" for the past two weeks. It is generally a low carb diet. I have lost 12#'s so far and am taking in about 1000 cal a day. I have been fighting to just make those calories. Some nights I've only been around 800. I know the biggest difference in why I am so full/content in the amt that I am eating is because I have finally slowed down and actually "chew" my food now! I should also mention that I am walking 1hr nightly on my treadmill.

I have found that the Unjury chocolate shakes are decent as well as the "pure Protein shake" that I found at Target. It comes in a can in a 4pk. It has 21g Protein, 5g carbs and 110 cal/can.

I start my liquid diet on Feb 23rd and surgery Mar 9th. I can't wait!!! Quit my diet coke addiction cold turkey just to have this surgery.:)

I have been doing a "liver reduction diet" for the past two weeks. It is generally a low carb diet. I have lost 12#'s so far and am taking in about 1000 cal a day. I have been fighting to just make those calories. Some nights I've only been around 800. I know the biggest difference in why I am so full/content in the amt that I am eating is because I have finally slowed down and actually "chew" my food now! I should also mention that I am walking 1hr nightly on my treadmill.

I have found that the Unjury chocolate shakes are decent as well as the "pure Protein shake" that I found at Target. It comes in a can in a 4pk. It has 21g Protein, 5g carbs and 110 cal/can.

I start my liquid diet on Feb 23rd and surgery Mar 9th. I can't wait!!! Quit my diet coke addiction cold turkey just to have this surgery.:)

Wow! I'm impressed that you could quit Diet Coke just like that. I'm trying to ween myself off of Diet Pepsi. I average about 3 - 12 oz. bottles a day. Maybe cold turkey would be easier than 2 bottles a day one week, and one bottle a day the next week. That is not working real well. :lol: You are doing super on your pre-op diet. My surgery is not until Mar. 30 so I have not given it a lot of thought yet, aside from saying good bye (eating) all of the foods I can't eat later.

I had originally thought I'd be banded in February as well. But, that's not going to happen. :)

I will be banded on march 17, 2010.

As you can see from my sig, this has been over a year of trying to lose the weight after I was denied, only to lose and gain it back and then some...as is the classic yo-yo.

For more about me and my journey, check out my blog.

A Fat Chick Gets Skinny

I had originally thought I'd be banded in February as well. But, that's not going to happen. :cursing:

As you can see from my sig, this has been over a year of trying to lose the weight after I was denied, only to lose and gain it back and then some...as is the classic yo-yo.

A Fat Chick Gets Skinny

What a St. Patrick's Day for you!!! Congratulations on getting your date!!!

Hi,

March 12 can not come soon enough. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much time I should take off of wok. I have a very physical job, so i'm hoping that a couple of weeks will be good. I have a lot of time that I can use, but I hate being away from work. I'm curious how much time others have had off or are going to take off. Have a great day!!!!

From what I hear....the average time people have been taking off is about a week and taking it easy the following. I put in for a week and the following ill take it if I need it. Lucky that my work is flexible enough that I can at the last minuet take off more or less time. Deffinetly a week however. I work with babies and so lifting and bending, sitting on floor and standing up is problamatic the first week or so....not sure about the second. I have my 2nd consult with the surgeon Wed. I will ask what he thinks.

Hey Jodi,

I did get an email asking me to come in and consult with Dr.Garber but that would have meant too much travel for me.

Oh boy I hadn't even thought of the device blowing up in a plane :cursing: now I'll have that in mind.

I live in Brooklyn so Methodist is a little more convenient for me. I live in the Canarsie/Spring Creek area.

Funny, there's a Bariatric center within walking distance of my house but I have never heard of it or read about it anywhere so I didn't check them out.

I hope that all my testing goes ok so that I can hurry and get this part over with. Already today they are predicting a big Nor'easter coming our way so I may have to cancel my endoscopy for Wednesday and make it for next week.

I think I may check out that book you recommended. I have already read 3 books about the surgery.

I'm thinking of starting my pre-op diet early. I am so bloated and fat now . I just can't stand myself. I'm going into the last month of my 6 month weight loss and have not lost a pound.

I bought a case of chocolate Muscle milk light and I have samples of some other Protein powders like Chike and unjury.

I would love to lose 15 -20 lbs before my surgery.

Is anyone else trying to lose before surgery and if so how?

I wonder if what that Bariatric center is about in Canarsie.

You are in Canarsie? I work in Crown Hghts...so I pass through Canarsie everyday to/home from work. Yes, LI or NY would be a trip to get to for you to use Garber or Holover. Even for me Manhasset is a trip but my saving grace...all the consults and tests with all other doctors have been in or around the same building as my surgeon. Ive scheduled apts on the same day and right after one another lol. Three are on the same floor even and they were all refered by my PCF and surgeon.

Im also a little concerned with the snow storm on the way for tomorrow. I have the 2nd consult and a follow up with the sleep center/Pulmpnologist in the afternoon. I will be coming from work in Brooklyn to LI for the apts on the North Shore and I live on the South Shore. Im not happy about the thought of all that driving in the storm. I guess Ill have to not go to work lol.

I hope they dont reschedule your endoscopy if you dont have to. I did need to take the rest of the day off after I did mine. My throat was sore for three days. More scared of the endoscopy then the whole surgery and all the other tests combined...but it really was nothing to be scared of after all.

yes, check out that book if you can find it lol. I had such a damn hard time. let us know what you think.

good luck with that....drive carefully and stay WARM!

Hi Everyone: Well my surgery is set for March 24th. I am 62 years old, 316 lbs, want my life back so I can enjoy retirement, lost my job last April, so now I'm one of the statistics you read about every night. Made up my mind to have the surgery while I was still on Cobra so I wouldn't get

turned down with new health ins. Also wanted to do this while I am still receiving unemployment so there is some money coming in. My social security will go to pay my new health insurance premiums when Cobra runs out, so time is of the essense. I've been thru all my tests and so far so good, no problems. I just want to get it over with. I seem to be stressing about the two weeks before the surgery and the 2-3 weeks after. I hope I make it thru the stress of these two, they scare the hell out of me. Good luck and God Bless all of you. Eileen

Hi Eileen.

Welcome!! Glad you have chosen to stick it out and are still going through with the surgery!! Seems like you are doing what you can and doing it well...you have a great attitude about getting it all together now while you can...I feel the same. I finially decided to go to work for an agency full time to get the benefits so I can do this surgery and get healthy. I was an independant contractor before and had to pay my own for everything...so I decided until this is all done and finished and over....meaning...im down to a healthy overall condition...including all the weight loss I will think about going back full time...right now...this is good!!

Let us know how all is going. keep us posted!!

I had originally thought I'd be banded in February as well. But, that's not going to happen. :(

A Fat Chick Gets Skinny

I will be banded on the 15th so we are the same week....Your blog is cool. Thanks for sharing. I hope all goes well now. Keep us posted.

i also will be banded in march ( hopefully) just waiting on insurance approval doctors dont see why they wont approve me im 5'5 was 258 first consul in december lost 17 pounds and everything is done in a little less then two months. I;m siked and ready to do this.

I'm in the insurance approval phase right now. We're hoping (my doc's office and I) to have the approval back by the end of February so I can be banded in March. :cursing: Hopefully, it happens that quickly. I have BC/BS in Mass and I hear that they're pretty good about covering the surgery.

Let's hope I hear back soon.

Congrats to all of you with surgery dates! Hope I get to join ya!