Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

Hi,

My surgery is scheduled for March 22nd. It can't come soon enough. I am so ready.

My surgery will be in Richmond, CA.

My doctor is Doctor Baggs.

Insurance: Kaiser

Seminar date: Nov. 6, 2009

Orientation: Jan. 21

Met Surgeon: Jan. 27

Psych Evaluation: Jan. 27

Tests: EKG, Blood work

Reason for banding: I am tired of being fat and tired of working so hard at dieting and getting nowhere.

Concerns: I am just hoping that everything goes as planned and that this will be the tool that finally works.

Hey all,

My surgeon has given me a surgery date of 3/8/10,

This month I will be going through all of the tests endoscopy, echocardiogram, Pulmonary function, ab ultrasound :thumbup: also a colonoscopy and the hospital will do the chest xray, ekg and blood work. I also have to meet with the nutritionist and my Dr again on 2/17. I then have to meet with my pcp on 2/25 for the last of my 6 month weight loss documents.

It is daunting as I live in NY and I drive but don't enjoy it and I hate taking public transpo but I will bite the bullet and do all I have to do to get this part done and behind me.

I am getting banded by Dr. Gorecki at NY Methodist hospital.

I initially was referred o Dr Fielding at NYU and I liked it there but my insurance is out of network for them , they assured me that I would be taken care of but I couldn't risk that I want ot be thin and healthy and shopping for new clothes not paying Dr's thousands of dollars.

I found Dr Gorecki through a referral from a member here and another site.

Even though my Dr has not told me yet to start my pre-op diet I think I'm going to start this week to the best of my ability. I am hoping to do a low carb diet and maybe lose from 10-15lbs before my surgery.

I hope all goes well with my tests and that March 8th is a go .

I have been reading and researching so much that I really don't have any questions. I have read 3 books about the surgery and have been on this site lurking for about 2 years.

I just want it all to be over and into the post surgery phase.

I'm also so afraid that I'm going to die in surgery or have a heart attack or stroke. That's how anxious and nervous I am .

In all my reading I have not heard of that but I'm just crazy that way :smile2:.

Hi Fern. Welcome! You join this thread by clicking on "thread tools" and scrolling down to "subscribe to this thread." Once you have done that, make sure to join the social group Spring into March 2010 Bandsters. I don't have an exact surgery date yet, but I will probably be banded near 3/15.

Hi,

First off I want to say that this has been a very informative site. I have been reading the posts and am thankful for the information that everyone has posted.

I am scheduled for surgery on March 12, 2010. I atteded the seminar in November of 2009, Had my first visit with Dr. Fox on December 14th. I had to gather a lot medical information which was pretty easy. I had my psych consult, and had my sleep test done. I do have mild sleep apnea, but will not effect my surgery date. On Feb 23rd I will have the remaining test (ekg's, pulmonary etc.) March 4th I will meet with the nutritionist and begin my 10 day liquid diet....can't say i'm looking forward to it, but it will be just fine. I look forward to more posts from the March Bandsters.

:)

We are being banded the SAME DAY!!!

I just posted the following in the support group of the same name and I thought I'd post here also:

Hi All,

My name is Jacquie and I am originally from Long Island, New York but just recently relocated to Ormond Beach, FL with my husband.

I will be banded on 3/24 by Dr. Kuri in Mexico. I decided to use Dr. Kuri after a lot of research. Unfortunately ( or fortunately depends how you look at it) I have a BMI of 33.4 so I do not qualify for coverage with my insurance carrier, BCBS. I have arthritis in my knees and ankle and was just told I am pre-diabetic.

I checked with a few docs here and was told that I would qualify to have the surgery with them, there was no chance I could get it covered. I just could not afford the cost to be self-pay here. So, we leave for MX on 3/22 and will be banded on 3/24. I have a wonderful support system with my husband and children and I have lined up a great doctor for my after-care when I get home.

I am excited to have found all of you and I look forward to supporting and being supported by all of you!

Jacquie

I'm also so afraid that I'm going to die in surgery or have a heart attack or stroke. That's how anxious and nervous I am .

In all my reading I have not heard of that but I'm just crazy that way :).

Your fears are justifiable and valid, but try and focus on the fact that you are having all the appropriate tests done to avoid any surprises, you are being cared for in an excellent hospital, and you will be monitored very closely. This is not experimental surgery and many patients have come before you. Keep a positive outlook and think of how much healthier you will be in just 6 months. Good Luck!!

Hi everyone....I am a newbie in Indiana and having surgery March 9th....YEAH! I am soooo excited! I have been doing a liver reduction diet for 12days now and am so motivated. On the 18th of this month I go to the nutritionist in preperation to start my 2 wk liquid diet.< img src="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)" srcset="https://s.bariatricpal.com/uploads/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi,

March 12 can not come soon enough. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much time I should take off of wok. I have a very physical job, so i'm hoping that a couple of weeks will be good. I have a lot of time that I can use, but I hate being away from work. I'm curious how much time others have had off or are going to take off. Have a great day!!!!

Hi,

March 12 can not come soon enough. Right now I'm trying to figure out how much time I should take off of wok. I have a very physical job, so i'm hoping that a couple of weeks will be good. I have a lot of time that I can use, but I hate being away from work. I'm curious how much time others have had off or are going to take off. Have a great day!!!!

11 days total...I go back for clinicals where some lifting will be required but my fellow students have already told me that they have my back until I feel up to par! I'm doing this over spring break and actually it doesn't start until the Monday after our surgery, so I hope that is enough time!!!

Anyone else out there got any advice?

Hi everyone - I am officially a member of your group now that I have my surgery date -- March 3. I am so excited to take this step at getting my health under control.

I am 42, current weight is 225, BMI is 35 and I have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Insurance is taking care of the cost. I'm getting banded by Dr. Robert Pinnar at Reston Hospital in Virginia. I started this journey in Nov. 09 and was rejected by my insurance once, before I received approval today. I've completed all my testing except for the surgery sign off by my internist. I start the liquid diet on 2/24 and am anxious about that as well as re-training my brain on how to eat!

Go March Bandsters! :)

Hi im Bob. My surgery is also on March 3rd. Im from Greensburg Pennsylvania. My dr. is Anita Courcoulis from Magee Hospital, Pittsburgh. My insurance (UPMC) is covering my surgery, actually ive had all my testing etc. done and i havent paid for anything but a few deductibles. This sight has really helped me over the last 2 years. In the begining it helped me with info while researching. Now it helps me stay motivated(when i get nervous and think about canceling surgery. I was excited in the begining because i knew surgery was a long way off. In the back of my mind i was a little nervous but didnt think to much of it because i had other dr. visits and appointments to schedule and i knew this would take time(approximately 1 year,i started 6 month program in Nov. 08). Now its here( it went so fast) and im so nervous. Ive never had any surgery so i really dont know what to expect. I have it in my head that im going to do this, because i have too. Im 6-2, 330#. No major health problems yet, sleep apnea(c-pap), high blood pressure(treated with med.) So i will do this and i will be successful because im mentally there. Thanks and good luck to all.

Surgery Date: March 30 in Crystal Lake, IL

It took a couple of months to complete all of the paperwork and tests, but only about two weeks to get my approval from BC/BS Illinois. I was so surprised that I got approval and it happened so quickly. The scheduling nurse called me right before Christmas and said she was calling to set up my surgery date. I was so surprised since I had not heard anything yet. Up that point I was assuming there would be more contingencies, but everything went very smoothly. (Knock on wood). I received my acceptance letter in the mail a couple of days later. I am a teacher, so I'm having my surgery over spring break.

Now that it is getting closer it is starting to get more real. I have been reading a lot of blogs and they have been very helpful to get an idea what to expect.

Good luck to each of us. It is nice that we will share this common bond (band).

Hey all,

My surgeon has given me a surgery date of 3/8/10,

This month I will be going through all of the tests endoscopy, echocardiogram, Pulmonary function, ab ultrasound :) also a colonoscopy and the hospital will do the chest xray, ekg and blood work. I also have to meet with the nutritionist and my Dr again on 2/17. I then have to meet with my pcp on 2/25 for the last of my 6 month weight loss documents.

It is daunting as I live in NY and I drive but don't enjoy it and I hate taking public transpo but I will bite the bullet and do all I have to do to get this part done and behind me.

I am getting banded by Dr. Gorecki at NY Methodist hospital.

I initially was referred o Dr Fielding at NYU and I liked it there but my insurance is out of network for them , they assured me that I would be taken care of but I couldn't risk that I want ot be thin and healthy and shopping for new clothes not paying Dr's thousands of dollars.

I found Dr Gorecki through a referral from a member here and another site.

Even though my Dr has not told me yet to start my pre-op diet I think I'm going to start this week to the best of my ability. I am hoping to do a low carb diet and maybe lose from 10-15lbs before my surgery.

I hope all goes well with my tests and that March 8th is a go .

I have been reading and researching so much that I really don't have any questions. I have read 3 books about the surgery and have been on this site lurking for about 2 years.

I just want it all to be over and into the post surgery phase.

In all my reading I have not heard of that but I'm just crazy that way :woot:.

Hi.. im in NY as well!! I was orriginally going to have my surgery at NYU as well! As my insurance changed I needed to find a new surgeon so I switched to LI Bariatric Center in Manhasset with Dr. Holover/Dr. Garber. My surgeon is Dr, Holover.

I work in Brooklyn, near Methodist hospital. About 10 minuets away and live in LI. Where are you? Its funny before you said anything about NY....I was thinking after reading about all the consults and tests.....she must also live in NY. lol I had to do all those tests as well. Other states dont recquire them all.

I think we all fear the surgery to some extent..my worst fear? Thinking about flying and having the tube blow up because of the pressure and just pop out of my stomach like on alien. lol I know this isnt really possible but....still its so foreign.

What you and us all need to concentrate on is the thought that this is the means to the end.....not the end!

Its just the begining for all of us.

Looking forward to journeying with you!!

Welcome!

Jodi

Hi to all the new March Bandsters that Ive not yet welcomed over the last week!!!

Welcome to

Natrlblonde, Fern, Laurel, Jacquie, Suzyqindy, JVw2009, Bob, and JC1. I hope I did not miss anyone!! Its nice to see so many new March Bandsters. I havent been able to post for about a week so Ive missed alot of posts and have spent the last 1/2 hour reading though the site..wow! Sometimes I get so tired reading through all the great information, experiences and ideas that people have shared that I dont have time to respond at the end after catching up.

Ive finially gotten all my consult letters in to my surgeons office and I have my second consult this wednesday and I meet with my pumonologist regarding my new CPAP machine which im getting used to. Its been two weeks so far...and im not sure I feel any different yet. Im not sure what im supposed to feel. The only difference so far is that im not waking the dog any longer hence she is not waking me. lol

I am trying to eat healthier now...and begin to walk, walk, walk. I am reading "Becks Solution" which was recommended by alot of Bandsters on this site and am finding it informative, helpful and and easy to follow. You might want to check it out....

How is everyone? I hope all is well and all the tests and consults are winding down now. To whom ever is going to begin their pre-surgery diets within the next few weeks I wish them good luck!!

Have a great week.. Jodi

What is "Becks Solution?"