Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring into March 2010 Bandsters

I'm in the insurance approval phase right now. We're hoping (my doc's office and I) to have the approval back by the end of February so I can be banded in March. :thumbup: Hopefully, it happens that quickly. I have BC/BS in Mass and I hear that they're pretty good about covering the surgery.

Let's hope I hear back soon.

Congrats to all of you with surgery dates! Hope I get to join ya!

Hi gingerjane,

I have Fed BC/BS here in Oregon, and my doctors office sent the information into the insurance company on a Tuesday, and by Saturday of the same week I had an approval letter from the Insurance company. They were very quick on the approval, and on the first attempt. There were no additional requirements from them which I was thankful for. I was worried that I would have to go through a four or six month supervised weight loss program. Good Luck and I hope you have the same results from your insurance company as I did!!!!

Hi all.

Good morning. Well, we are having a real snow day in NY.

All the schools are closed so...I figure if this is the case so am I even if I didnt get an official we are closed from the agency I work with...why I dont know. Should have I suppose if the BOE is closed all over in NY. LOL

Its a great day for baking, cooking, drinking hot chocolate and watching soap operas! I have lots of baking to do for the holiday coming up ....and Im going to be making healthy baskets to give out to friends and families for the holiday Purim. Just need to find some healthy recipe for Hamentashen....using whole wheat flour. hah

I think we will venture out and go to the supermarket which is around the corner and buy all that we need...If I can convince Dassi to come...otherwise...we wont be baking Hamentashen as I dont have the stupid filling at home.

I had two appointments cancelled today. One with the surgeon for the second consult..just to touch base...see if anything is missing in the files and to discuss anything else needed for surgery. I think pretty much all is done and for the next month Ill be starting a exercise program and begin to read "BECKS SOLUTION"! The other apt. was a follow up with the pulmonologist to see how the CPAP machine is going.

MOnday, I went to a new Chiropractor where not only do you get an adjustment but you get a deep tissue massage. I liked that. I needed an adjustment because ive been so nurvous about the CPAP working at night that I apparently am tensing up and sleeping in wierd postions..so ive gotten a stiff neck and slight muscle tightening in the upper back. Not helping the Asthma. After a week.....I figured it was time to find a new Chiropractor here in the neighborhood. No one really recommended anyone in particular but after a year and a half of being in this neighborhood...I figured I needed to just pick one and try. Im happy!! After I was happy; I took Dassi and she was as well!

Now.

I need to find a dentist. lol I found everything else...but not a dentist for me. Im hoping ill find one before Ill need one.

Hope all is well and everyone east is warm and keeping safe out of the snow....and driving if possible.

Jodi

Hey Jodi,

I did get an email asking me to come in and consult with Dr.Garber but that would have meant too much travel for me.

Oh boy I hadn't even thought of the device blowing up in a plane :rolleyes2: now I'll have that in mind.

I live in Brooklyn so Methodist is a little more convenient for me. I live in the Canarsie/Spring Creek area.

Funny, there's a Bariatric center within walking distance of my house but I have never heard of it or read about it anywhere so I didn't check them out.

I hope that all my testing goes ok so that I can hurry and get this part over with. Already today they are predicting a big Nor'easter coming our way so I may have to cancel my endoscopy for Wednesday and make it for next week.

I think I may check out that book you recommended. I have already read 3 books about the surgery.

I'm thinking of starting my pre-op diet early. I am so bloated and fat now . I just can't stand myself. I'm going into the last month of my 6 month weight loss and have not lost a pound.

I bought a case of chocolate Muscle milk light and I have samples of some other Protein powders like Chike and unjury.

I would love to lose 15 -20 lbs before my surgery.

Is anyone else trying to lose before surgery and if so how?

Hi...

was just wondering if you were still on for your endoscopy today or they cancelled your procedure due to the BLizzard. I hope all is well and if you did go for it....it all worked out and you are feeling good!

Keep safe and dry!!

Jodi

No Jodi, I did not get my endoscopy this morning. I cancelled it because of the storm. My DH works integrally with the City when we have storms like today so he was not going to be able to come with me.

Unfortunately, the Dr is going on vaca next wk so I won't be able to get it done until the 22nd.

Yesterday I saw the pulmonologist and had an echocardiogram. This morning I woke up with strep throat :rolleyes2:

I still have to set up an appt with the psychologist. I have a small feeling inside that I won't be able to have my surgery on the 8th.I hope so though . I tend to be a worrier.

No Jodi, I did not get my endoscopy this morning. I cancelled it because of the storm. My DH works integrally with the City when we have storms like today so he was not going to be able to come with me.

Unfortunately, the Dr is going on vaca next wk so I won't be able to get it done until the 22nd.

Yesterday I saw the pulmonologist and had an echocardiogram. This morning I woke up with strep throat :rolleyes2:

I still have to set up an appt with the psychologist. I have a small feeling inside that I won't be able to have my surgery on the 8th.I hope so though . I tend to be a worrier.

thank god....you didnt have the endoscopy today....as you have strep. That wouldnt have been a good thing I would think...they might have cancelled it in the end regardless? Im sorry you are not feeling well.

If all that you are waiting for is the endoscopy and the psychologist...it shouldnt put off the surgery for the 8th.

Hopefully it wont...but no matter when it should be the right time..thats what counts. I also am a worry wart and am always the pessimist...but some things just arent in our control ...like the damn snow lol

How was your day? Tomorrow there is also no school in LI. I have the babysitter in the PM but...I have these two doctor apts. the second consult..and the pulmonologist afterwhich my daughter has an apt with the ped. orhopedist for braces to wear at night.

what a day its going to be...I hope things clear up by then.

Well, have a good night...feel good!!

Jodi

Hi all....

Just for point of interest/reference....

The February Bandsters are beginning their surgeries this week and ive been reading their posts.. to see what kind of experiences they each are having..I started out in that group but got bumped to March which is how this thread.group was started. I wanted to wish them all luck and see how they were.....

Its kind of interesting to look up to them and kind of see them as our mentors as they are a month ahead of us in getting banded.

I think it would be a good thread to read if you want to know about peoples recent experiences being banded in the first days....

I think its helpful.....to know at least for me.

another snow day tomorrow.....and ive spent the day cooking and baking ....what ever shall I do tomorrow? Clean and shop online??? lol

Have a great night all.

My Surgery Date: March 12

My surgery is in: Pittsburgh, PA

My doctor is: Doctor Urbandt.

Insurance: PPO Blue Plus (Blue Cross)

Seminar date: Never had one

First Appt:July 27 (I believe) Insurance Required six month diet

Met Surgeon: Every 2 months since July heheh

Psych Evaluation: In Nov dont remember the date..

Tests I still need: EKG, Blood work

Reason for banding: I am only 26, have been active my whole life (hints the username) but my food intake has always been my problem area and I never feel full.. I am always just feel hungery or Stuffed hehe. Plus I am Paramedic And Volunteer Firefighter, Hope to one day get a paid firefighter/medic job. Plus I have a strong family history of Heart issues and diabetes, Neither of which i want heheh.

Concerns: I still I won't feel full, and that I may just be trying to go back to work so soon.. But I am not good for sitting around, I am afraid if i dont take weeks off a work , all i will think about is food.. ( I am only taking 1 1/2 weeks off work (medical field, some bending, no lifting patients at all) and 2 weeks off my Paramedic Job (this is the one i am most worried about cause I do have to lift patients but I do have a partner with me to help lift)

BTW I am 5'10, Starting weight was 302, I am now around 275 but still trying to lose, Would love to be under 270 for the surgery.

Edited by Liftingchic
spelling

Amy, I have Oxford. I just started a new full time job so the oxford is new as well....so far they have not denied any of the consults, tests or studys. I was told by the center that they deal with the insurance and I wouldnt need to worry about it....wew that was a relief I certainly didnt want to deal with that as well as all other stuff! How about you??

I see that you have Oxford Insurance I have Oxford too and I was just approved today!! It only took them 2weeks. They are pretty fast and don't have alot of hoops for folks to go through. I will you well I go pick my date next Wednesday. So hopefully I can have my surgery done March 1 or 2. Good Luck Wish you well on your weight loss goals & journey. :scared2:

I see that you have Oxford Insurance I have Oxford too and I was just approved today!! It only took them 2weeks. They are pretty fast and don't have alot of hoops for folks to go through. I will you well I go pick my date next Wednesday. So hopefully I can have my surgery done March 1 or 2. Good Luck Wish you well on your weight loss goals & journey. :scared2:

Hi. BabyDiva yes, Oxford I hear is pretty easy and takes about two weeks to get approved. I hope that all will be good and they do approve! Tomorrow the center is starting to send them the request....do you have a copay with Oxford im paying $30 for each visit and for all the consults and tests....alot so far!

I havent spoken to Oxford yet whether there is a copay for the surgery itself...not really looking forward to hearing the possibility of having to pay more for the surgery....it will be hard enough to pay the $250 per each fill that insurance doesnt cover at this time. lol Thanks for the info.

My Surgery Date: March 12

My surgery is in: Pittsburgh, PA

My doctor is: Doctor Urbandt.

Insurance: PPO Blue Plus (Blue Cross)

Seminar date: Never had one

First Appt:July 27 (I believe) Insurance Required six month diet

Met Surgeon: Every 2 months since July heheh

Psych Evaluation: In Nov dont remember the date..

Tests I still need: EKG, Blood work

Reason for banding: I am only 26, have been active my whole life (hints the username) but my food intake has always been my problem area and I never feel full.. I am always just feel hungery or Stuffed hehe. Plus I am Paramedic And Volunteer Firefighter, Hope to one day get a paid firefighter/medic job. Plus I have a strong family history of Heart issues and diabetes, Neither of which i want heheh.

Concerns: I still I won't feel full, and that I may just be trying to go back to work so soon.. But I am not good for sitting around, I am afraid if i dont take weeks off a work , all i will think about is food.. ( I am only taking 1 1/2 weeks off work (medical field, some bending, no lifting patients at all) and 2 weeks off my Paramedic Job (this is the one i am most worried about cause I do have to lift patients but I do have a partner with me to help lift)

BTW I am 5'10, Starting weight was 302, I am now around 275 but still trying to lose, Would love to be under 270 for the surgery.

Welcome LiftingChic, I hear you and all your concerns. I think everyone has pretty much the same or very imilar. lol. Yet we are all here waiting to be banded shortly so we must want it badly regardless of the concerns....so we have a month..pretty much to have those concerns squelched addressed or answered .

Tonight I went to a support group at the center where im being banded with people who are going to be banded or have just been banded. All the concerns were addressed and well..bottom line....each experience for everyone is slightely different and each surgeon has different rules and regs. lol but, the group was a good beginning to get all those concerns and then some on the table. I think I will go again at the end of the month. Maybe you should find one and see if that will help you as well?

You talk about your job and the physical demands but your jobs psychological demands are stressful too...Paramedics have the most stressful jobs in the US. Kudos to you. If you can take the time off now by doing this for yourself and getting healthier you will eventually be taking off less time later? Just a thought.

Hopefully you will get your surgery date...for the March 1...but if its a week or so later....youve waited this long it will come!!!

Happy Thursday all,

So today I received my copy of "Becks Solutions" as well as the workbook I'm hoping I get time to start reading it this weekend, we shall see if time is on my side!!!

So...Today....I got my clearance from the sleep doctor.

He said hes pretty confident that ive been using the CPAP machine correctly...as he watched how I put it together in his office to demonstrate.

I felt like I was being tested putting together this machine...like I was being timed for precision and confidence lol. In the end...he laughed and said...I really didnt need to see this demonstration but you were so set on showing me you are using it properly..that I let you he said,

"I just needed the information of the calibration of the machine thats why I asked you to bring it". hmmm. did he think he was funny?? lol ( I took that whole machine apart and cleaned it etc etc) Just as well...he gave me clearance three weeks early....

meaning:

I get to have surgery...when there is a cancelation...between now and March 15th when my surgery date was rescheduled from Feb 8th. Now it could have been the end of Feb...but go know.....he said he wanted 5 to 6 weeks...so I changed it for 6 weeks.

so now, I wait for a date..either March 1st or2nd or 8th or 9th. If there is none....then Ill have it March 15th....Id hate to have it then however, Dassis bday is the 16th and I would hate to be in the hospital on her bday as ill need to stay overnight. boo hoo. I would go next week if I could bu they still need to get insuarance clearance and that takes up to two weeks..with Oxford. so I wait..patiently. not!!

I did go tonight to the support group that my center has once monthly. That was fun...met lots of great recent bandsters and want to be bandsters. We talked about some concerns and how and why people are banding....etc etc.. The surgeon was there to answer all questions that was nice....it was pretty far out so...I wont be going again as I needed to have a babysitter and that cost alot....as it took all in all a few hours...

well....Thank god...there is school and work tomorrow..If I have to cook, bake and organize one more closet ill kill myself....Dassi had some friends over for the day and they at least had a blast in the snow again for the second day in a row. To think...that there is another day off on Monday?? Feels like another week vacation unplanned.

Monica...let us know how the book goes for you!!!

Hi all,

I'm starting to get very anxious about everything.

As said before I had to cancel my endoscopy on Wed. because of the snowstorm and now I have to wait until the 22nd for an appt. cuz my Dr is going on vaca.

Next week on the 17th I meet with my surgeon again and the nutritionist.

I already met with a nutritionist with the NYU program that I paid $250.00 cash for and she did no more than recite to me what was obviously a speech that she gives everyone and gave me a photocopied manual of what not to eat and what to eat b4 and after surgery. I thought it would be more personalized so I am not too excited about seeing one again if I'm gonna get the same treatment. No one has mentioned whether I will have to pay again.

Next week I also am having Ab/ultrasound which is a little nerve wrecking . I had one about 9 years ago when I was having woman probs but don't remember much about it other than it was uncomfy. You have to starve from the midnight b4 which will not be a problem for me .That's part of my weight problem I can go all day w/o eating and then around 4 I start grazing. However after not eating and drinking from the midnight b4 I have to bring a 32oz bottle of Water with me and drink all of that in 1 hour and hold it b4 the test :scared2:.

I hope my DH can take off that day so that he can go with me.

I still have to book an appt with a psychologist . I guess I should get on that today and I have to get my last 6 month med. supervised diet sheet from my PCP that appt is the 25th.

So with all of that still to go and then them sending for approval from my insurance I'm really not thinking that my surgery will still be on the 8th . Hopefully my insurance will quickly approve. I have BC/BS and GHI. I'm not even going to consider that I won't be approved. I have every reason to be approved my weight is very high about 250 my BMI is about 46 and I have 2-3 comorbidities.

I'm also feeling anxious about trying to lose a little b4 my surgery and starting and sticking to some exercise program. I was going to Curves but the owner there is so intrusive that she can sometimes make you uncomfy. My membership is over in March and I don't plan on going back. I have a treadmill and everything else at home.

Ok, I know I've had a long rant but that's how I'm feeling today.

Any suggestions, tips, what's everyone else doing in preparation?

Hey BabyDiva!!

Good on you for not having a lot of hoops to go through.

It seems that all should figure if you have to go through all this you really want and need the surgery.

Anyway, I see you're in the Bronx what Dr and hospital are you using? I'm in Brooklyn.

Dee

Just wanted to say Hello..this is all new to me...will be banded March 1st...trying to learn how to navigate around this site!

Melanie:unsure:

Hope you don't mind if I join this thread. I am new to the forums but have been lurking for a few das now. I am excited and scared to have this done, so I am looking to find a few people that are about to get banded as well. Good luck to all of you on this wonderful new journey that we are about to start.

Date of Surgery: March 25th

Where Surgery will be: KS

Doctor/Center: Dr. Malley/New Hope Bariatrics

Seminar date: December 2009

1st consult date:Feb 10, 2010

Consults and tests completed: I only had to have 1 consult and only pre-op blood work to do in March.

Tests still needed: pre-op blood work

How is surgery funded? Partly cash, some help from my parents , but mostly financing.

Concerns? How will I eat after? Will my family be forced to eat the foods I eat or will I be the one eating something different? Will I regret having it done? I could keep going....

Reason for banding? I have become a person I never wanted, nor thought, I would be. I need to be a better mother and in order to do that I need to lose the weight so I can play with them and just have the energy that is need to keep up with them. Plus I want to feel comfortable about myself so I can be a better wife to my husband. Somewhere along the road of life I have lost who I once was to the weight and I am ready to find that person again.