Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how to maintain after surgery

Agree with all the above posts. Your girlfriend imho is doing something wrong. It is so great you are taking an interest in her new lifestyle. Anyway, I'm wondering why she isn't on the message board. Has she read the responses? Best of luck to her!

I agree with elfiepoo ..... suggest she do the 5 day poutch test and she must talk to her doctor. I hate to be blunt and please dont take this badly but she lying about a few things here, nothing is adding up?

Whats a poutch test?

This may not be what is happening but for me in the morning, there are certain foods I just can not tollerate and just avoid due to bad reaction. By mid day, I can eat a sensible lunch with no problems.

meats, breads are not in my favor in the am. I have a few ritz crackers with my coffee in the am.

If I do not chew well or drink with my meal no matter what time in the day I will get sick quick. I can sip, if I am thristy but I have had to learn to take it easy and work along with my band. Trial and error is part of it for most.

I too at one point needed to take some of my Fluid out. I'm almost at 11 cc in my 14 and can eat better because I've learned althought still have my moments of taking my time and what I should not eat in the am.

She doesn't handle bread well. She also says its bad to drink while eating. She usually drinks like coke and stuff. (i myself can't stand carbonation of anything.)

She ate some steak and mashed potatos last night. Today she didn't eat until about 2 or 3. We tried some steak n shake where she orders a plate of like 3 pieces of chicken and fries along with some kind of milkshake with nuts in it. She had one and a half of chicken and maybe half her fries. She said the milkshake goes down better. She said taking smaller bites and chewing more was helping and she still mentioned feeling sick. She does better if she stops for maybe five minutes and then continues. Dumb question but since the surgury is designed to help make someone go longer with out food. Can the meal she had last night of steak and mashed potatoes keep her going til 2 or 3? Can I get a suggestion of a REAL diet for someone with this condition? Any suggestions or anything would be great. I'm also going to be keeping tabs on what she eats.

Hi I will jump in here. I have a couple ideas from your last post. I have had my band for almost 8 mos and it is a big adjustment learning what you can and cannot eat. I cannot eat bread unless well toasted and just a small amount, I also cannot eat french fries, heavy Pasta, or flour tortillas or scrambled eggs. It is different for everyone, but there are some things that are commonly problematic.

You said something very significant when you said "she says milkshakes go down easier". There is something know as a slider food. Slider foods are high calorie foods that go down easy because they go right past the band. I suspect she is padding her diet with these items rather than following a lapband meal plan. Most people with the band have difficulty with eating large amounts in the am, this is because the band seems to be a bit tighter in the am. But I also noticed in your post that there are several rules your gf seems to be breaking.

1) bansters are not supposed to drink carbonated sodas, I have rarely heard of a doctor who approves of this.

2) you are not supposed to drink with your meals, this actually washes the food down quicker and therefore you dont feel full when you should. Most doctors advise to not drink during meals or for an hour after, some even restrict drinking for 30 minute before meals.

3) you need to keep the Protein intake up to at least 60 grams a day, this is accomplished by either Protein shakes or eating good lean meat and fish. From what you said I doubt she is getting the protein, protein keeps you full longer and makes this easier.

My suggestion is that you get her an appointment with a dietician, I was required to see one before my surgery and many offer follow up and consultations to help you with diet planning. But as an idea, here is my diet for most days.

Breakfast - 1 Chocoalte protien shake, 160 calories, 25 grams of protein (I use muscle milk light), I blend the shake with ice cubes and it tastes pretty good that way.

normally not hungry between Breakfast and lunch but if I am I might have a low fat piece of string cheese.

Lunch: Leftover what ever I had for a previous dinner, I will take about 3 ounces of left over meat with a veggie and freeze in small 1 cup containers. I zap them in the microwave and that is lunch.< /p>

After lunch but before dinner I am sometimes hungry, if I am I will drink a protein bullet, 25 grams of protein and 100 calories, or other high protein low fat/calorie snack.< /p>

Dinner - I can eat more at dinner than lunch so I will have 3-4 ounces of meat, fish or chicken, and salad or a cooked vegetable, occasionally a couple tablespoons of potatoe, rice or light Pasta.

After dinner if I want a snack or treat I will have sugar free Jello snack pack puddings or a sugar free popsicle or fudgesicle.

I will ocasionally eat a very small piece of cheesecake or something like that but it is a very small piece, like less than an inch thick slice. I dont eat french fries, mac and cheese, shakes and that sort of thing. I hope that helps. I am almost up to 60 lbs lost and it has been hard work.

Agree with all the above posts. Your girlfriend imho is doing something wrong. It is so great you are taking an interest in her new lifestyle. Anyway, I'm wondering why she isn't on the message board. Has she read the responses? Best of luck to her!

We live about an hour away so I don't see her everyday. She lives out in the sticks and doesn't have internet. I have told her about this and keep telling her what responses I am getting so its not like I'm doing this behind her back.

Hi I will jump in here. I have a couple ideas from your last post. I have had my band for almost 8 mos and it is a big adjustment learning what you can and cannot eat. I cannot eat bread unless well toasted and just a small amount, I also cannot eat french fries, heavy Pasta, or flour tortillas or scrambled eggs. It is different for everyone, but there are some things that are commonly problematic.

You said something very significant when you said "she says milkshakes go down easier". There is something know as a slider food. Slider foods are high calorie foods that go down easy because they go right past the band. I suspect she is padding her diet with these items rather than following a LAP-BAND® meal plan. Most people with the band have difficulty with eating large amounts in the am, this is because the band seems to be a bit tighter in the am. But I also noticed in your post that there are several rules your gf seems to be breaking.

1) bansters are not supposed to drink carbonated sodas, I have rarely heard of a doctor who approves of this.

2) you are not supposed to drink with your meals, this actually washes the food down quicker and therefore you dont feel full when you should. Most doctors advise to not drink during meals or for an hour after, some even restrict drinking for 30 minute before meals.

3) you need to keep the Protein intake up to at least 60 grams a day, this is accomplished by either Protein shakes or eating good lean meat and fish. From what you said I doubt she is getting the protein, protein keeps you full longer and makes this easier.

My suggestion is that you get her an appointment with a dietician, I was required to see one before my surgery and many offer follow up and consultations to help you with diet planning. But as an idea, here is my diet for most days.

Breakfast - 1 Chocoalte protien shake, 160 calories, 25 grams of protein (I use muscle milk light), I blend the shake with ice cubes and it tastes pretty good that way.

normally not hungry between breakfast and lunch but if I am I might have a low fat piece of string cheese.

Lunch: Leftover what ever I had for a previous dinner, I will take about 3 ounces of left over meat with a veggie and freeze in small 1 cup containers. I zap them in the microwave and that is lunch.< /p>

After lunch but before dinner I am sometimes hungry, if I am I will drink a protein bullet, 25 grams of protein and 100 calories, or other high protein low fat/calorie snack.< /p>

Dinner - I can eat more at dinner than lunch so I will have 3-4 ounces of meat, fish or chicken, and salad or a cooked vegetable, occasionally a couple tablespoons of potatoe, rice or light Pasta.

After dinner if I want a snack or treat I will have sugar free Jello snack pack puddings or a sugar free popsicle or fudgesicle.

I will ocasionally eat a very small piece of cheesecake or something like that but it is a very small piece, like less than an inch thick slice. I dont eat french fries, mac and cheese, shakes and that sort of thing. I hope that helps. I am almost up to 60 lbs lost and it has been hard work.

I want to get her going on 60 grams of protein. I guess she hasn't gotten used to what she can and can't eat.

let me know how you do after six months...i had no problems my first 8 months but after that i have been throwing up. I'm finding Soup is the only option some days that will stay down, besides liquids and thats some liquids.....

let me know how you do after six months...i had no problems my first 8 months but after that i have been throwing up. I'm finding Soup is the only option some days that will stay down, besides liquids and thats some liquids.....

What does your Dr. say about that?