Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I hate writing about myself but I'll try it out. I just had my doctor's appt on Wednesday and he put in my insurance referral for me then (I love Tricare and haven't had any issues with them ever! *knock on wood*). He said it'd take a week for a decision. I checked it the next day and they received it then, Thursday Jan 14th. Last night, I checked it again and it was already approved! So, Monday I'll be making my first appointment with my surgeon, Dr Terry Simpson in Phoenix, AZ. I've also made a blog to document my journey and will keep it updated regularly if anyone wants to follow me (I'll follow back!). It's lapbandiary.blogspot.com :w00t:

Oh, by the way, I'm 5'9", 275 pounds, and found out in October that I have diabetes and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). My doctor says both will all but disappear with my surgery. Hope he's right!

I'm also curious how many people have kept their surgery quiet. I've only told two friends other than my husband and Mom. I kinda feel like, if I have to, I'd much rather tell people AFTER it's done and I start losing weight.. or maybe even not at all!

Anyway, I guess that's all for now! Thanks for reading and post your blogs if you have 'em.. I'd love to read!

Hi Airforce.wife

Nice to meet you. Congrats on your quick approval. I also have PCOS and was close to getting diabetes. I was banded on the 4th of Jan 2010. I am also a nursing student and have already started back into school and stuff. I started at 260 but am now 240.

I have choosen to keep my surgery private also. I told my MIL because she lives with us and I couldn't hide it. She has taken it upon herself to inform the rest of the family. She is just ignorant about how it feels to be large. That is really why I have choosen not to talk about it with anyone but my husband. Several people have called me and asked "is your surgery working yet?". I try to be nice about it but I just don't want to discuss my weight and justify why I decided to do this.

Good luck on your journey.

Hey JeweI, thanks for the response! I told my MIL last night.. she is super cool and I know she will keep it quiet. I'm not sure what I'd do if she told the whole family... that just seems really uncalled for. You know what they say though, "ignorance is bliss"! LOL.. thanks again!!

Hi Airforce Wife, I'm Jenn a Navy wife. I was band on dec 9, 2009. I have Tricare Prime and they paid for everything except my Nutrition consult. and Optifast diet. total I paid $200 total- They are great. I would like to comment on your question about telling people. I say keep it quiet if you can. I live close by to many family members and they all know I had it. I feel so much presure to loose weight FAST. They all ask me "how much have you lost?" every time I see them. I hate it. I am 5'7" and started at 264, I am at 230 five weeks post-op. I feel great about my weight, but people just think you have this and poof your skinny.

Edited by Jennifer_

Jennifer,

You are so right. They expect me to be skinny already. I am still recovering from surgery. I have lost 8 pounds. I feel people are asking because they are trying to see how good or bad I am. I really don't feel that weight should have any bearing on wether I am good or bad. My Doc and I have put enough pressure on me to lose. I just don't need more judgement.

When I first told my MIL she was actually angry. I guess she thought I was being selfish. Now that she is more educated about the procedure she is being more supportive. Finding receipes I can eat and stuff.

Yeah it sounds like I'll be just keeping it quiet for now. I'm calling for my first surgeon appt tomorrow and will post here with the info!

Hi there.

I've been telling people, but that's because I don't care what they think. As I've been telling them about my process I mention that the weight loss will happen over time, the band is just the tool to help me meet my goals. Everyone so far has been supportive.

My DH and Mom have both gone to the initial consult with me. I was hoping my Mom would get banded at the same time since we both need to lose weight and could do it together. That may happen or not. Either way she's willing to make the changes with me.

So that's my story. I've been telling everyone and so far no bad reactions except from one family member. But I haven't let that affect me.

Good luck.

Hey! i'm keeping this pretty much to myself also. My mom is worried about the surgery but thats because she's a mom :) Good luck with your weight loss and keep us all posted!

Hey everyone! I spoke with my doctor's office today and my initial consult is scheduled for Monday, Jan 25th! I'm so excited! Meanwhile, I've been reading several blogs and loving it! I look forward to 'meeting' more of you! YAY!

I am definitely a more of a keep it quiet kind of person as well. In my opinion it is not really anybody's business. Would you go up to someone who hadn't had surgery and ask them how much they weighed or had lost? To me these are private things and unless volunteered should not be asked for. I discussed with my PCP today and how I felt about not wanting anyone to know. She said that she completely understood because she doesn't even let most peopl know that she is pregnant until it is obvious. Too many questions and nosy people, even is the majority mean well. There is already enough stress and pressure in life without having other people monitor it for you! :mad:

congratulations and i wish you the best. dr simpson did my band also, i live in east mesa. he's the best, hopefully we will meet up at a support group sometime. i have 3 close friends and we go to group then we will go to dinner sometimes together and we email every day. keep in touch!

katie

Hey everybody! I had my consult today.. you can read more about it here!!

Also, if you're a Bandster with a blog OR you live in Pensacola / Fort Walton Beach / Crestview, FL OR you're a Tricare Prime military wife - I wanna know you, especially! Get in touch! Let's talk!

<3 YIPPEEEE

Just a quick little message...I am and AIR FORCE WIFE with tricare prime that had my surgery May 8, 2009. I am an open book and I will be compltely honest with you about whatever it is your little heart desires!! If you have any questions or just want to talk you can do it on here or add me to Facebook: Alissa Hanssen.... hope to talk to you soon!

Hi all,

I am also a military wife and so far Tricare has been awesome, I was approved my first time. I started the process back in sept 09 with getting a refered from my pc doctor, to the seminar to going to my consultation. The longest part for me was waiting on the hospital to gather all my paper work and submit it to Tricare. Once they faxed everything to Tricare I was approved in less then 72 hrs. I actually got a surgery date for the 9th of feb but got sick with a stomach virus, so couldn't do the pre op and stuff. My new date is 4/13/2010. I am so excited!!! I hope it goes as fast for you as did for me!! :smile2:

It's going fast so far! Was referred by my PCM last week. Met with my Doc Monday and the office informed me today that I'll be submitted first thing in the morning to Tricare (then another 24-72 hrs for approval). Yay :]