Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your thoughts on hunting?

What are your thoughts on hunting?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on hunting?

• Under no circumstances is hunting okay.
    • Only when 'game' is being used for food is hunting okay.
    • Hunting is absolutely fine, perfectly acceptable as a sport for the enjoyment of mankind.
    • Undecided.

I am an animal lover and self-proclaimed 'crazy cat lady.' I can't bear the thought of someone killing innocent animals and I was wondering how everyone else feels about the topic.

Keep in mind that was born and raised (and still live in) a rural farming community where it's an everyday thing for a tractor to roll through town and where you'll commonly see a truck pass by with a gun rack. Having been raised on and around farms I have grown to accept selling, raising and eating livestock as a fact of life. I am not a vegetarian but I am a member of the ASPCA.

I love any type of animal you could throw at me. Now, that doesn't mean that I'd cuddle or keep a snake as a pet, but I do have a high level of compassion for any kind of life.

The reason of this poll, however, is directed specifically towards hunting. I realize that hunting is a fact of life (I've seen plenty of deer carcasses hanging from trees). I just can't understand how someone can hop in their truck and spend their evening stalking beautiful, majestic deer and celebrating as their life drains out of them. One of my brothers is an avid hunter, he and I have agreed to disagree on the subject.

How is chasing down a raccoon, squirrel, or deer fun? With what are they supposed to defend themselves? What does that doe feel when her mama doesn't come back after leaving to feed? I do realize that deer are overpopulated, as I'm sure that will come up, but I still couldn't imagine taking the life of an innocent animal and keeping it's head as a trophy...

Edited by jessress87

Without hunting the number of animals may rocket out of control and a lot of them would starve.

I think it takes a sick person to shoot Bambi but I'll be the first one in line for the meat. :smile2:

As long as you intend to eat it, I think it's alright. Killing for sport.. is wrong.

It comes as no surprise to me that cheney would be this type of hunter:

Cheney's Canned Kill, and Other Hunting Excesses of the Bush Administration

hr9.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

281x144_Pheasant.jpgUSDA photo: Ron Nichols

By Wayne Pacelle

Vice President Dick Cheney went pheasant shooting in Pennsylvania in December 2003, but unlike most of his fellow hunters across America, he didn't have to spend hours or even days tramping the fields and hedgerows in hopes of bagging a brace of birds for the dinner table.

CannedHuntWebBnr120x120.gifUpon his arrival at the exclusive Rolling Rock Club in Ligonier Township, gamekeepers released 500 pen-raised pheasants from nets for the benefit of him and his party. In a blaze of gunfire, the group—which included legendary Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach and U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX), along with major fundraisers for Republican candidates—killed at least 417 of the birds. According to one gamekeeper who spoke to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Cheney was credited with shooting more than 70 of the pen-reared fowl.

After lunch, the group shot flocks of mallard ducks, also reared in pens and shot like so many live skeet. There's been no report on the number of mallards the hunting party killed, but it's likely that hundreds fell.

Rolling Rock is an exclusive private club for the wealthy with a world-class golf course and a closed membership list. It is also a "canned hunting" operation—a place where fee-paying hunters blast away at released animals, whether birds or mammals, who often have no reasonable chance to escape. Most are "no kill, no pay" operations where patrons only shells out funds for the animals they kill.

Dick (5 deferments)Cheney must be so PROUD of himself for this. This is just more proof of his cowardice.

Some liberal wrote that piece. Where are the references?

And they probably donated the birds to a food bank afterward. ;)

I hope pg finds this thread and goes on about hunting zygotes :thumbup:

It comes as no surprise to me that cheney would be this type of hunter:

Cheney's Canned Kill, and Other Hunting Excesses of the Bush Administration

hr9.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

281x144_Pheasant.jpgUSDA photo: Ron Nichols

By Wayne Pacelle

Vice President Dick Cheney went pheasant shooting in Pennsylvania in December 2003, but unlike most of his fellow hunters across America, he didn't have to spend hours or even days tramping the fields and hedgerows in hopes of bagging a brace of birds for the dinner table.

CannedHuntWebBnr120x120.gifUpon his arrival at the exclusive Rolling Rock Club in Ligonier Township, gamekeepers released 500 pen-raised pheasants from nets for the benefit of him and his party. In a blaze of gunfire, the group—which included legendary Dallas Cowboys quarterback Roger Staubach and U.S. Senator John Cornyn (R-TX), along with major fundraisers for Republican candidates—killed at least 417 of the birds. According to one gamekeeper who spoke to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Cheney was credited with shooting more than 70 of the pen-reared fowl.

After lunch, the group shot flocks of mallard ducks, also reared in pens and shot like so many live skeet. There's been no report on the number of mallards the hunting party killed, but it's likely that hundreds fell.

Rolling Rock is an exclusive private club for the wealthy with a world-class golf course and a closed membership list. It is also a "canned hunting" operation—a place where fee-paying hunters blast away at released animals, whether birds or mammals, who often have no reasonable chance to escape. Most are "no kill, no pay" operations where patrons only shells out funds for the animals they kill.

Dick (5 deferments)Cheney must be so PROUD of himself for this. This is just more proof of his cowardice.

Ugh. That has to be the absolute worst kind of 'hunting.' These poor animals don't even have a chance. I read a quote once from a nature photographer that said he much more enjoyed shooting animals through the lens of his camera than through the barrell of his gun. What a lovely sentiment.

I'm a woman and an avid hunter.

I have compassion for animals but I also realise it's the cycle of life and has been for some time.

It might upset some people but, in general, I have found there's no better advocate for animals than a hunter. ;) We understand what it takes to have a healthy, manageable herd/flock. Science is behind the decisions regarding bag limits, size, etc...... for the most part and with the exception of poachers.......we are not out in the woods just blasting away at anything that moves.

"Canned Hunting or "Drive thru Hunting" is generally for the people who can afford it. I'm on the fence about this one because there are a lot of variations with how they're ran but I am sure in Cheney's situation they donated the meat to food banks.

Interesting thread.

Everything I have killed I have fed to my family - I will not kill anything just for "Sport". If we don't like the meat or plan on eating it - we don't kill it.

Nobody here in Australia would have to hunt their food and we dont really have the kind of animals you'd eat anyway - yes, we eat Kangaroo and yes, there's rabbits, but still....

I think if you catch food, that's one thing, but to actually enjoy it as a sport, that makes you a sicko. Killing things for the fun of it isnt OK, and I wouldnt have much time for anyone who found it so.

It IS part of the cycle, I mean its no worse than farming animals and raising them for slaughter, but we dont do that for the fun of it, its necessity. So should hunting be.

Nobody here in Australia would have to hunt their food and we dont really have the kind of animals you'd eat anyway - yes, we eat Kangaroo and yes, there's rabbits, but still....

I think if you catch food, that's one thing, but to actually enjoy it as a sport, that makes you a sicko. Killing things for the fun of it isnt OK, and I wouldnt have much time for anyone who found it so.

It IS part of the cycle, I mean its no worse than farming animals and raising them for slaughter, but we dont do that for the fun of it, its necessity. So should hunting be.

I couldn't agree more. Killing animals for fun... that's how Jeffery Dahmer got started- not a good thing. Growing up on and around farms I could not eat hamburger from a cow that I 'knew.' I can go to the grocery store and buy hamburger but I've never been able to eat an animal that I knew personally lol.

Some liberal wrote that piece. Where are the references?

And they probably donated the birds to a food bank afterward. ;)

I hope pg finds this thread and goes on about hunting zygotes :thumbup:

Source: Post-Gazette newspaper - a major american newspaper.

Whether they donated the kill to food banks is irrelevant because if the goal is to help feed poor people there are less expensive ways to do so that to raise these poor animals and release them in expensive fenced in areas only to be shot by the rich and powerful to satisfy some political bonding experience.

Growing up in rural Kansas my whole life, I understand the need for population control in wild animals. Deer are a major roadway hazard that can KILL PEOPLE.

I am pro-life in all areas which means I'm also a vegetarian and therefore I don't believe that animals should be exploited for our own comfort and taste buds, however, when animals are causing a roadway hazard to me and my kids in the backseat, I am above feeling sorry for the deer and I would rather have a licenced hunter thin the population out for a good purpose.

That may seem contradictory, but like I said, I understand why people hunt deer at least...they are very dangerous to vehicles.

Source: Post-Gazette newspaper - a major american newspaper.

Whether they donated the kill to food banks is irrelevant because if the goal is to help feed poor people there are less expensive ways to do so that to raise these poor animals and release them in expensive fenced in areas only to be shot by the rich and powerful to satisfy some political bonding experience.

If a democrat had done that and donated the game to a food bank you would have called that a worthy cause. But because it was Cheney he doesn't get a pass. How typical of you.

Now, noone knows for sure if the game was donated or not, so , my opinion on hunting is if you're not eating it, you shouldn't kill it unless someone else is going to eat it. If you want a shooting, or bow and arrow sport, use a target board or cans.

As far as animals in general go, they are put here for the use of mankind, and some for man's companionship, and others for food. They have no eternal souls that live on forever, so once they are dead, that's it. They're gone. In light of that truth, I don't judge others who use them as sport. But I feel that it is wasting God's gifts to mankind.

If a democrat had done that and donated the game to a food bank you would have called that a worthy cause. But because it was Cheney he doesn't get a pass. How typical of you.

Absolutely not true! I would have blasted a democrat if he had participated in canned hunting, too. It's not the political affiliation that is at issue here, it is the arrogance of cheney that extends to his thinking that the rich can create their own killing fields for his and his rich friend's playground and amusement. This type of disgusting hunting just fits so well with the sorry excuse for a man cheney is.

I am very anti hunting. I don't believe that people should get pleasure from killing - that is just wrong.

And trophy heads on walls just make me want to hurl.

I grew up around many hunters and yes they eat what they hunt. I however do not agree with it. BUT I have always been in conflict with my self over this issue. I will eat anything that comes from a grocery store, but not from family going out to kill wild animals. Those animals are free, and out living their lives. However, I know that we hit deer every day on our way to work. I have a cop as a brother who tells me it cost them time assessing wrecks due to deer, which causes insurance rates to rise, etc.

I have always been in conflict over this issue.

In addition I hate guns in the home!

It really makes it hard for a Redneck Girl!...lol