Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have to be at goal before consult with the PS?

Hi,

When did you guys starting to consult with PS? My band date was 4/24/09, starting at 231 lbs and right now I am at 155lbs. I have a lot of hanging skins and I know surgery is the only way to get rid of it. My goal is to be around 140lbs even if it is not a normal BMI (I am on 5’2”) but I think it is a healthy weight for me.

When should I consult with the PS? I know the PS won’t operate on you until you can keep your weight off for 6 months.

Thanks,

My PS wanted my wt stable for "a few months" but many don't insist on 6 months. I think now would be a great time for your consult. I went several months before goal and it helped me know what I wanted done and the order it would be done as well as the costs. It also gave me incentive to get to goal.

Congratulations on your very excellent weight loss. You have done so well. Please let us know as your plans firm up.

Mimi

Edited by Mimilou2004

I am only a few pounds from my doctor's goal for me and I go for my consult this Thursday. One thing my insurance company wanted was a weight loss held for a minimum of 6 months to a year.

It doesn't hurt to call your insurance company and find out if they have stipulations for this procedure. Just be sure not to call it a Tummy Tuck (that's considered cosmetic). Good luck with everything.

My daughter was not at goal, within 20 lbs, when she had her lower body lift. Initially when she made the consult appointment, the surgeon made the comment that he liked for his patients to be at goal, but when he assessed where she was, he agreed that she was ready. She did the lower body lift, breast lift, a yahoo lift (use your imagination) and fat implants into her butt. Lot of work but amazing results. Dr. Lomonaco from Big Medicine on TV did her work. She still has one more procedure and some touch-ups to the original work that needs to be done. Even though it wiped out her savings account, she'd still do it again.

Trisha

I wasnt' at goal weight when I had consult or procedure. I'm 5'2 also and weighed 221 at heaviest. I carried all my weight in mid section. Like Mimi said having consult before will help motivate you to loose. I had been at same weight for a year so was pretty stable but not at goal. Decided I was ready to be rid of my gut.

Good Luck,

Thank you everyone for the responses. I've decided to contact one of the PS today and see what he said. I'll let you know what procedures the doctor said I needed and when I should get it done.

Jenna12566- my insurance does not cover any cosmetic surgery except for the spider vains, breast reduction. I have Cigna of TN btw.

Mimi- Thank you so much for the complement. It is kind of hard now to lose weight though but I am trying my best.

Skinnyjeans - what type of surgery did you do? How long do you have to be off work?

Pennreporter - Do you mind telling me the cost of your daughter procedures? I need to save money and see if I should get everything done at one time or the main one first then the little ones later :smile2:

Thank you all again for the help.

Hey TCB,

Actually it's a medical procedure, not cosmetic. You should consult your surgeon and primary doc. If you document rashes with treatment for a period of time, and having weight loss procedure (such as lap band) to help with weight loss, most insurances do cover it.

You just can't say "tummy tuck", it's either a panniculectomy or abdominoplasty. You should call your insurance as well and ask them what the process would be for skin removal after weight loss surgery.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Jen

I went to have a consultation with the doctor yesterday. Well, what can I say, I am kind of disappointed in him. I know he is top surgeon in TN but he did not take time to answer my questions at all. I felt rush and if he does not take time answering my questions, what will happen in the surgery room?

For example, first he asked me what I want done. I’ve told him arms, legs and tummy. He said he thinks I only need arms and tummy done and if my legs still bothering me in the future, he will be glad to do it for me. Then he took my pictures and said the accountant is going to talk to me about the price and stuff. I said I do have questions to ask you. He said well, we use drains, we use pain pumps, I am board certified and blah blah blah. I’ve said well, I am going to ask you about down time because I have 3 little ones at home and I don’t have family around; however, my mom is going to fly in to help me out. Also I am going to ask if you ever done this to a lap band patients. I want to talk about my scars too since I healed slow and tend to get keloids, I just want to know how to prevent it. Well, he quickly said, I don’t have to pull your muscles in if you wanna heal quickly. I said No..you do the best you can and I will find a way to arrange someone to watch my kids. Then the next question he said yeah I did a lot on weight loss surgery patient. Then he said ok, let me know when you at goal, so we can set the date. This all happen in less than 20 mins and I paid him $150. I have still has a lot of questions unanswered, so I was disappointed. I think he overbooked though since they are at least 10 patients in the waiting room. Oh well, I have another consults on Feb 1st, we’ll see how that one does.

BTW, the total price for arms and tummy is $10,000 (outpatient, no overnight in the hospital). If I want my legs done later it will be $4,500. If I want all 3 done at the same time, I have to stay overnight at the hospital and it will cost me a lot more.

I'd say if he doesn't have time to answer any and ALL of your questions now, RUN!

My consult was FREE, was OVER 2 HOURS and he went through my entire PAGE of typed out questions i brought in.

He made me feel like I was the only person he had to see that day if that's the amount of time it took.

since then, i have even emailed questions and i have gotten answers and i haven't even booked my date yet!

(i'm going to in 2 weeks when we get our taxes back and i'm SOOO excited!)

you can call around and find our if their are other surgeons that don't charge for a consultation and go see other even if it is just to see what they say and charge.

you will KNOW when it's the right surgeon, you will NOT doubt it. until then, i would keep going to consults!

wannabethinagain- my husband said the same thing and stay away from this guy. I felt bad because I had high hope since 3 of my co workers had work done from him plus I am out $150. My husband said it is worth $159 because I found out for myself how he is and since I have doubt and my gut feeling said not to do with him.

I went to get my fill today since the last one was 4 months ago and I am so hungry all the time; however, the doctor can only out 0.1 in since my cycle start and it made me super tight. Oh well, I get to talk to him about this doctor though. He gave me 2 other doctors name that he had known for a long time. He said he understands my concern and whether the doctor is top ten surgeon in the world, if patient and doctor does not click, it is not good.

I'll update again when I get to see the other surgeons.

Thanks,

TCB, If you don't have a good feeling with this PS, I also say run and don't look back. You will be putting your life into his hands and YOU MUST feel at ease with him. I went to 6 consults with 5 different PS'. A couple I just didnt feel at ease with, felt rushed, didn't seem to answer all my questions, ect. 2 others promised to make me a super model basically, said I would be skinny, scar and stretch mark free, and they would do it all in less then 3 hours for what I was wanting done.... Uhmmmm wow Do you have a magic wand I asked one, as he must be looking at a different body then mine. LOL

The very first PS I saw was actually the one I liked from the get go, But I wanted to check out and compare Dr's and I ended up back for a 2nd consult and booked him that day. He spent almost 90 minutes the first time with me, didn't rush me, answered each and every question in plain english that I could understand, not Dr talk/words. didn't promise to make me a super model, but realistic in what he could do with what my body had to offer.

explained different procedures to me, and the reasons as to why normally they don't do Arms and Thighs at the same time.

I ended up haveing a Extended Tummy Tuck with Anchor cut , with muscle tightening and a small breast lift with implants.

I love my PS and if and when I ever have the $$ to get anyting else done, I would go back to him in a heartbeat.

You have to feel comfortable with Dr. :-D bottom line.!!!