Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks out and my very first stuck situation

Hi all...

I'm about three weeks out from surgery and so far I have lost about 21 lbs since my surgery date...YAY. I'm following my doctor's lap rules to a T, somedays a small t..but all in all, I've been able to put my hunger pains on a shelf and stick to the script. I'm really learning the difference between head hunger and real hunger... not every belly rumble needs to be fed :thumbup: However, today I had my first mini stuck episode. I was very hungry in the morning and had about half a banana. From taste one, it hit my chest completely wrong and believe me I chewed and chewed. I had so much discomfort in my chest, all I could do was sip hot tea and then I remembered about the wonders of pineapple juice. Thank you all out there that have blogged about that and papaya enzymes for helping w. these stuck situations. I had a few sips and it was like MAGIC. It does make me a little scared about once I start getting fills though and have real restriction. I mean if a soft banana can get stuck, I can't imagine eating any meat or veggies. Nonetheless, I just wanted to share my small weight victory and my first mini band crisis.

All the best and good luck to everyone!!!

Lauren

Lauren, I had my surgery on the 18th of Dec. Sorry to hear about your banana issue. As of yet, I haven't had anything get stuck. As of today, I have lost 15 lbs. Good luck with your journey!:thumbup:

Hi Lauren,

I will be having my surgery on 01/19 and the nervousness is kicking in. I'm glad to hear about that pineapple juice and papaya - - good to know.

:thumbup:

Hi all...

I'm about three weeks out from surgery and so far I have lost about 21 lbs since my surgery date...YAY. I'm following my doctor's lap rules to a T, somedays a small t..but all in all, I've been able to put my hunger pains on a shelf and stick to the script. I'm really learning the difference between head hunger and real hunger... not every belly rumble needs to be fed :tt2: However, today I had my first mini stuck episode. I was very hungry in the morning and had about half a banana. From taste one, it hit my chest completely wrong and believe me I chewed and chewed. I had so much discomfort in my chest, all I could do was sip hot tea and then I remembered about the wonders of pineapple juice. Thank you all out there that have blogged about that and papaya enzymes for helping w. these stuck situations. I had a few sips and it was like MAGIC. It does make me a little scared about once I start getting fills though and have real restriction. I mean if a soft banana can get stuck, I can't imagine eating any meat or veggies. Nonetheless, I just wanted to share my small weight victory and my first mini band crisis.

Lauren

Lauren

I am so glad you mentioned it about the pineapple juice... I am having surgery on the 26th of January and I am making a shopping list...

Flavorless Protein Mix

Protein drinks

Soup Soup Soup

Cans of chicken breast that I can warm up and eat

Pineapple Juice....

Am I missing anything? Thanks for the tip

Jennifer:thumbup:

Jennifer, sugar-free popsicles, they were a life saver for me.:thumbup:

:thumbup:

Lauren

I am so glad you mentioned it about the pineapple juice... I am having surgery on the 26th of January and I am making a shopping list...

Flavorless Protein Mix

Protein drinks

Soup Soup Soup

Cans of chicken breast that I can warm up and eat

pineapple Juice....

Am I missing anything? Thanks for the tip

Jennifer:thumbup:

Good Moring,

Sorry for delayed response, I've noticed I am getting sleepy much earlier these days. I just returned back to work and after a full day of that joy, I'm lucky if I stay up past 9:30pm :thumbup: Probably the calorie restriction.

Jennifer, congrats on your upcoming surgery. Your list looks good. Per my surgeons office, I also bought Gatorade G2, which is low calorie and keeps you hydrated. Fat free cottage cheese, which was about the easiest thing I could get down and it has a good amount of protein. Green tea, tuna canned in Water, ff mayo, & sugar free ice pops. Also, I bought liquid tylenol because I found that the hydrocodone they gave me after surgery to take at home did not go down well. My first night home, I took half a pill and it made my stomach so sick. I now prefer liquid painkillers if needed or I drop all non-chewables into my tea and let them dissolve. All of the food items were used during my soft mushie stage through now. I've also found that every doctor's diet progression is pretty different. As of my first follow-up appointment last week, they had me progress to soft solids...so far so good.

Best of luck to everyone!!! :tt2:

Jen, I'm having my surgery on the 12th, and a couple of things on my list I don't see on yours are

bariatric Vitamins (if you don't already have them)

Rx for pain meds (the doctor will give it to you ahead of time so you don't have to worry about filling it after you get home)

FiberSure (or other soluble fiber)

Gas-X

a few good-tasting Proteins (in addition to the flavorless)

Lots of broth

sugar-free popsicles

My surgeon advances diet pretty rapidly, so I'll be allowed purees (Protein only for about 8 weeks) on Day 3. So I also have soft Proteins on my list--things like ricotta cheese, chicken breast, fat-free refried Beans, etc.

Jennifer, sugar-free popsicles, they were a life saver for me.:thumbup:

I would have forgotten those.. thanks:):tt2: I get more excited every day....

Lauren: Sorry to hear about your stuck episode. Been there, done that with a banana. for some reason, my body doesn't like them right now. Maybe later on it will. Yay on the weight loss.

Jennifer: Crystal lite to add to your Water. It comes in all sorts of flavors.

Hi all...

I'm about three weeks out from surgery and so far I have lost about 21 lbs since my surgery date...YAY. I'm following my doctor's lap rules to a T, somedays a small t..but all in all, I've been able to put my hunger pains on a shelf and stick to the script. I'm really learning the difference between head hunger and real hunger... not every belly rumble needs to be fed :thumbup: However, today I had my first mini stuck episode. I was very hungry in the morning and had about half a banana. From taste one, it hit my chest completely wrong and believe me I chewed and chewed. I had so much discomfort in my chest, all I could do was sip hot tea and then I remembered about the wonders of pineapple juice. Thank you all out there that have blogged about that and papaya enzymes for helping w. these stuck situations. I had a few sips and it was like MAGIC. It does make me a little scared about once I start getting fills though and have real restriction. I mean if a soft banana can get stuck, I can't imagine eating any meat or veggies. Nonetheless, I just wanted to share my small weight victory and my first mini band crisis.

Lauren

Sorry to hear about your stuck situation. And thanks for the pineapple idea. I didn't know about that myself. There are some foods that won't agree with you. That doesn't mean that they won't in the future. Don't be afraid to try new things. I think everyone should experience the stuck feeling at least once in their banded life because we all learn from those experiences. Yes it hurts and most of the time it scares the crap out of you, especially the first time around. However what we learn from these things are the foods that don't agree with us and how to chew chew chew. I wouldn't give up totally on Banana's but I would wait a few weeks before you try them again. meat and veggies are ok BTW. I stick to chicken and fish though. The red meats never did agree with me.

Hi Diamondgirl; i am almost 3 yrs out in june. and let me tell you, i can't eat banannas at all. my body just won't take it. so that means you will probably have to find potassium some place else. I've learned that the foods that we used to eat umph!!! (smile) your band won't be able to take it!!! Way to go girl on your journey

banana was one of the first foods I got stuck on. Seems like it -should- go down easy. But not so. And it is a favorite of mine.

It was over a year before I tried them again. I can eat them now, but they still go down rough sometimes.

It seems strange to be an adult and be learning how to eat, doesn't it? :(

Denise

I find if I eat bread it can be difficult and I did have a nasty episode once with getting stuck bad and was in trouble until I was able to throw it up. But that was the only time it happened and I hope that was the last. Where can I buy papaya enzymes?

weight.png

Edited by daphne999
mistake / typo

I take a whole banana every day and put it in a blender with 8 to 12 oz of 1% milk and a scoop of unjury chocolate Protein powder (great taste) and blend it to death. It is creamy and the banana goes down well this way.

I have had one fill and my band 6 weeks. I do this banana thing almost every day.

Also, try using frozen rasberries, cherries, blueberries, and mangos in vanilla Protein Powder. Great taste!!

I find if I eat bread it can be difficult and I did have a nasty episode once with getting stuck bad and was in trouble until I was able to throw it up. But that was the only time it happened and I hope that was the last. Where can I buy papaya enzymes?

weight.png

Hi,

Thanks everyone!! Learning more and more about this lovely new tool everyday.

Daphne, you can get the papaya enzymes from a Vitamin shop or a healthfood store.