Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op, paranoid!

I am 6 days post op and have been following the liquid diet to a t like the Dr. said. I hadn't been feeling much hunger at all until yesterday and today....OMG my stomach is growling and in knots. I am doing my best to ignore it, I have been having some Protein Shakes in place of broth and I had cream of mushroom Soup today strained. And drinking lots of fluid!

My question is can you stretch your pouch from to much liquid?

I have come this far and I want to do everything right, I have determination and the will power to do what needs to be done.

I am not normally a paranoid person but today it hit, paranoia and worry....

What if I doing something wrong?

Maybe I did something wrong and that's why I am starving etc, etc...

Is this normal to be so worried???:thumbup:

I am 6 days post op today too. I know I am probably not drinking enough. I drink at least 3 Protein Shakes a day. I don't know if you can stretch out the pouch. Today i had soupy mashed potatos. I was looking on here and they have lots of receipes for Protein shakes. I am on edge today, yelling at my kids and thinking OMG is this worth it? I know it is but I am just feeling a little down today. My husband works out of town and went back on Monday. I feel kind of lost without him.LOL! I say that we can do this! Keep me posted with your progress. I am trying to learn to navigate the site, but not to good yet.

I am 6 days post op as well! I don't think you stretched your pouch. The clear fluids go right through your band (that's what I was told). I was hungry on Saturday. I just had cream of chicken Soup and it definitely filled me up! We just have to stay focused!! Like Janet said...we can do this!!!!!!

Sure you can do it! You are normal so don't worry. As your taste buds re-awaken and the swelling goes down, you enter bandster's hell. This is the most challenging time for you. Until you get enough fills and restriction, it is up to you to refrain from over eating. Everyday your band & body will tell you something new. Just when you think you have it totally under control, it will throw a monkey wrench into the whole situation. Follow your doctor's orders and hang in there. You can make it!

The liquid diet was so hard for me to follow, and I did for the most part, with a few slip ups. I was so hungry!! My doc wouldn't let me have full liquids, just clear with Protein shakes. But day by day, you get through it by keeping busy and doing what you need to do to heal. Before you know it, you will be able to eat solids and then, as pp said, bandster hell begins! I'm just about 6 months outta surgery and still not through bandster hell, but almost there as I'm right close to my sweet spot. Its been hard, especially without a fill and I could eat whatever whenever. However, even in bandster hell, you still eat alot less than before surgery. Granted it still more than the cup to cup and a half with proper restriction. But its still less food..Thats a major accomplishment...

Take care, keep busy and remember, soon the liquid diet will be over. Ultimately, right before I was done with the liquid diet, I was so sick and tired of Jello, broth, etc..I lost the desire to eat the stuff at all, lol!

I have a question I am also 6 days post op and am feeling hungry all the time. Today I ate a Martha white Blueberry Muffin and felt fine Now what is wrong with this situation. You are not suspposed to feel hungry what is the deal. I dont want to stretch the pouch. I have called the doctor and they said that everything is normal.

I just spoke with my Dr. this morning and she said that it is normal to feel hunger like this, it is a sign that the swelling in your stomach has gone down. That you need to eat something with Protein, an egg etc. Start slow and take 20 minutes to eat. She said that food will sit on the pouch and create fullness.

Post-op "starvation" is very common. Know that you all are not alone!! liquids pretty much just run right through the band. Think of it like a funnel. They just drain right down through. It would be hard to do any damage to your stomach.

Once you are back on solids you will feel so much better. I was ready to eat the kitchen sink, my dog, the couch, anything I could get my hands on that wasn't moving faster than I was during that time--the dog got lucky!

Also, note that a bit of weight gain prior to the first fill is not uncommon, as there is little to no restriction. It is like having a beautiful new car with an empty gas tank. You have to fill the tank to get performance out of it. Borrowing the metaphor from a poster back when I was first banded.

Heal and feel better. Over time as you get fills and find the sweet spot you will find the appetite control and the weight will come off.

Denise

It is totally normal to be hungry and paranoid once you are living with your band. The band is much more durable then we think. I believe the doctors try to scare us to make sure we follow the band rules as directed. Just stick to the rules and doctor's orders and you will be fine.

As far as hunger goes, welcome to bandster hell. You will be hungry, even starving until you get a fill or two. Right now you need to rely on your willpower to stay on track.

Hang in there, it does get easier.

When you get enough Protein, the hunger goes away, so my advice it to increase the Protein and stay away from the muffins.

MM357

I am also 6 days post op, and sick of broth, Jello, etc. I am so afraid to deviate outside of the diet I was told to follow too, but my stomach is growling nonstop! I know that I can start fuller liquids in a few days, but I wonder if maybe chewing something but not swallowing it would get me through the next few days. My husband has been allowing me to "smell" his dinner plate before he eats, and it is helping. I also have been chewing gum to help satisfy the non chewing issue. I am not sure what else to do but to be patient and wait it out.

Chick, I had my 1 week visit today, and I had a woman tell me that she chewed some mac&cheese and spit it out, just to get the taste because she is starving! She had her surgery Dec 31. She said that it did more harm than good to chew it and spit it out. She said it made her stomach gurgle and rumble even more. For those that are close to moving to full liquids, call your doctor and ask if you can add in a Protein Shake or yogurt! If you are close enough, they will probably let you. I am 1 week today, and my doctor has allowed me to move to soft/pureed food 1 week early because I am healing and doing so well!

During the 4 week post op - liquids and soft and blended diet - I was hungry every two hours. My doctor said it was normal. Hang in there - solids will be better but don't rush it! Your stomach needs to heal even if you feel better. I was so hungry I thought my stomach would eat itself!

Eat 4 oz every two hours and it will help. Increase your intake of Protein drinks, like High Protein Ensure. That will help. But, the reality is, you will need to eat every two hours, just measure and keep drinking Water. Once you move to solids you will make it every 3-4 hours :(

It is normal and will get better after 4-6 weeks. Hang in there! You are doing great!!!

I am now 8 days post op and I am gonna be completely honest with you. My dr told me full liquids but I have been STARVING. On day 5 I had some KFC mashed potatoes with lots of gravy. I have had them every day and been 100% ok. I had a few bites of KFC mac & cheese a few days ago, chewed it VERY well, and was ok with that too. Saw my dr yesterday, he said full liquids through tomorrow, then mashed veggies for 3 full days. Then I could move on to regular foods. I didn't listen to that either. This morning I had 3 scrambled eggs with shredded melted cheese, and I have NEVER felt better. I am finally not in hunger pain. It has been absolute hell. With my cream Soups, I mash up saltines into powder and add that into them, and that has helped as well. I know I have been cheating a lot, but the hunger pains have been almost debilitating. I had NO energey to do anything and had enough of it. Listen to your body, take it slow, and chew, chew chew!

I had mine done on 12-30-09. The day of surgery and the day after I had NO desire to eat. Then each day I have become increasingly more hungry. Yesterday I took a tiny pinch of shredded cheese and chewed the heck out of it and when it was pretty wet & mushy swallowed it. I felt like it really helped LOL. Then this morning at work a co-worker brought in donuts. I took a bite, chewed it a while and spat it out. That did make me feel better, but I dont think I will do that again as it just made me really miss having those things.

I just keep hoping that the hunger will go away. Right now I am drinking a Slim fast shake in the morning, broth for lunch, brother for dinner with as much Water as I can handle in between. So far I am down about 6 lbs.