Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you all deal with the information in the required reading. I was really surprised at such a high statistic. It scares me.

Interesting, the most recent data I got from Lap Band said that 44% of lap bands had to be removed (erosion, leaking, slipping, etc.) within the first 10 years of getting it.

It still didn't stop me. I went into this hoping I would not be one of those 44% and making the commitment to work with my band and not do something stupid that would put me at higher risk of being one of the 44%. I also made the commitment to change my attitude towards food while I do have the band so that if I am one of the 44% and have to have my band removed, I will (hopefully) have created new habits and attitudes towards food.< /p>

That seems like a high number but keep in mind that the people getting the band have a problem with food. Some will work with the band and do what they're supposed to do. Some will not. They'll continue to try and eat what they shouldn't causing them to vomit or slime on a regular basis which will cause a problem with that band.

I haven't seen statistics for how many bands have been removed/replaced due to structural failure of the band vs problems most likely due to abuse by the person wearing the band.

This is a disturbing thread, I don't know where I was when these statistics were published. They scare me, I can't imagine living without my band and I don't think my insurance would cover a replacement surgery. YIKES!!!!

Mimi

Gee. I don't think there is much of anything we do in life that doesn't have some risk and we have to decide for ourselves if it is worth the risk or not. I go get in my car all the time and drive out onto the street. Each time I do, I take a risk. I am at risk every day with my blood pressure, etc. It doesn't stop me from taking the risk though. We take risks in life every single day and it is a matter of putting it into perspective I think. To me it was worth the risk and has been worth the risk. I wouldn't change it for anything. I do what I am supposed to do for the band and as with anything hope for the best.

The fact that the surgery IS reversable and the band removable is a huge plus factor for me. I would never agree to bariatric surgery that you couldnt reverse later. There are so many things that could go wrong later on and having my insides intact are important to me.

This IS a disturbing thread, but beneficial. I did not know that statistic and it is bothersome. Were there time frames given? Such as – 10% removed in the first year? Did it break down the 25% by reason for failure? Equipment failure vs body rejection vs non-compliance? I think this is relevant because if you lurk around in the forum “Lap-Band Complications,” (also a disturbing pre-op activity) the bander’s behavior really does cause many of the problems. This is not “blaming the victim,” it’s observable from the population that posts. Several posts will include statements like “I knew I was pushing it…” OR “I know I wasn’t following the rules….” I have read posts where bander’s went to Mexico and came home with NO post-op care arranged and no idea of the recovery process. Others are days from surgery and do not know what kind of shake to buy or are asking the forum for definitions of the most basic terms, imperative to their health! There are those people whose bodies will just reject the band (I’m so afraid I will be one of these), but I suspect that the majority of failures are linked to the bander’s preparation, education and compliance.

This IS a disturbing thread, but beneficial. I did not know that statistic and it is bothersome. Were there time frames given? Such as – 10% removed in the first year? Did it break down the 25% by reason for failure? Equipment failure vs body rejection vs non-compliance? I think this is relevant because if you lurk around in the forum “Lap-Band® Complications,” (also a disturbing pre-op activity) the bander’s behavior really does cause many of the problems. This is not “blaming the victim,” it’s observable from the population that posts. Several posts will include statements like “I knew I was pushing it…” OR “I know I wasn’t following the rules….” I have read posts where bander’s went to Mexico and came home with NO post-op care arranged and no idea of the recovery process. Others are days from surgery and do not know what kind of shake to buy or are asking the forum for definitions of the most basic terms, imperative to their health! There are those people whose bodies will just reject the band (I’m so afraid I will be one of these), but I suspect that the majority of failures are linked to the bander’s preparation, education and compliance.

You have a really good point. I think as long as you follow your doctor's instructions, stay connected with your support network, and make healthy choices you'll be fine. We all will be. I know about 8 people who have the band and some have had it for almost 10 years!! None of them have had it removed. They follow the rules and keep their appointments with their doctors.

Stay positive!! Hope this helps :blink:

I did follow all of the Dr's orders and had the best attitude and still my band has to come out! I'm scheduled for a revision on Wednesday, so it is the luck of the draw who keeps theirs and who does not. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the band is a great tool that comes with it's share of problems. I have talked to many people who have had no problems what so ever and then lots who have. I wish everyone could have a wonderful experience but if you read enough you will find that is not always the outcome.

Good luck to all!

Bernadette

I did follow all of the Dr's orders and had the best attitude and still my band has to come out! I'm scheduled for a revision on Wednesday, so it is the luck of the draw who keeps theirs and who does not. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the band is a great tool that comes with it's share of problems. I have talked to many people who have had no problems what so ever and then lots who have. I wish everyone could have a wonderful experience but if you read enough you will find that is not always the outcome.

Good luck to all!

Bernadette

Hello,sorry to see you're having troubles with yours and need to have it removed. Thanks for sharing with us; I think it sheds light on the reality. If you don't mind sharing, why must you have it removed?

Best of luck to you!

Were there time frames given? Such as – 10% removed in the first year? Did it break down the 25% by reason for failure? Equipment failure vs body rejection vs non-compliance?

but I suspect that the majority of failures are linked to the bander’s preparation, education and compliance.

It was just 44% within the first 10 years and no they did not break it down according to appliance failure vs conditions that may be due to noncompliance.

I won't go so far as to say the majority of failures are due to noncompliance because we don't know that. I have to believe that if Lap Band *knew* the majority of failures were due to non-compliance, they would've published that figure because it would make them look good. Since they haven't, I won't make assumptions that they didn't.

Personally, it has no relevance for me. I look at this as my last attempt to get this weight off. I've tried every diet out there and they've all failed. Even on Atkins, I took off 70 lbs and kept it off, but since I haven't been able to get back on it and stay on it to lose the remainder, it's apparent that it is not something I can do for life.

I'll take my chances.

Good luck to all!

Bernadette

I'm so sorry. I do believe that you can do everything in your power and still have a problem. It is so easy to blame the failures on the people rather than the procedure or equipment. I hope your surgery goes well for you.

The fact that the surgery IS reversable and the band removable is a huge plus factor for me. I would never agree to bariatric surgery that you couldnt reverse later. There are so many things that could go wrong later on and having my insides intact are important to me.

This is a positive in my book, too.

I have to have my band removed because the port has torn away from the stomach wall, I have been in severe pain for 2 weeks now. I had my band done in Mexico so I had to wait to have it removed there. Unfortunatly if you have the band done in Mexico you have few options about problems afterwards. I did talk to several Dr's offices that would take me on as a patient but the lowest price was $8000!!! I really enjoyed my surgeon the first time and this is not his fault, so I'm returning there to have the revision done. I'm upset but what can you do?? It happened and now I just have to deal with it.

Bernadette

PS Please don't get mad at me for saying so but I would never get the band again, even before all of the troubles.

I'm so sorry you've had all these problems. I wonder how the port tore away from your stomach? That is so scary! I really hope everything works out for you and the pain goes away. That must be so frustrating; I can only imagine.

I have to have my band removed because the port has torn away from the stomach wall, I have been in severe pain for 2 weeks now. I had my band done in Mexico so I had to wait to have it removed there. Unfortunatly if you have the band done in Mexico you have few options about problems afterwards. I did talk to several Dr's offices that would take me on as a patient but the lowest price was $8000!!! I really enjoyed my surgeon the first time and this is not his fault, so I'm returning there to have the revision done. I'm upset but what can you do?? It happened and now I just have to deal with it.

Bernadette

PS Please don't get mad at me for saying so but I would never get the band again, even before all of the troubles.

No one can get mad about your feelings. They are yours, personally.

I sometimes get worried about what i am getting myself into. it seems to me that for some it is ideal, and for others it sucks. So, I am leaping in armed with that knowledge. If it works as it should I will be beyond thrilled. I hope that I am smart enough and intuned enough to it. If it doesn't than I will deal.

i really like my surgeon. He is the surgeon who circumcised my sons! He didn't screw that up, so I'll try not to worry too much!:blink:

I only know one person who had the band and she had to have it removed within a couple of years. I didn't ask specifics on why, but I do know she was always sick and could never keep food down, and ended up throwing up all the time after eating, so I'm assuming it was erosion or slippage. I did tell her I was getting this done and she said it was great and she would definitely get it done again if she could. Still, that didn't deter me from getting this. Not everyone is the same and anything could go wrong, with any surgery.