Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week Post op update

I have officially joined the other side !! Yaaaaa I thought I would give an update , especially for all of you getting close to the finish line . Surgery was last Friday , July 29th . They didn't start until 1:30 pm and the surgery ended up going a bit longer than expected due to my band being completely encapsulated in scar tissue and the need to repair a hiatal hernia. I finally made it to my room at 8:30pm So for me , It was a day of sleep .... Saturday was not bad , they had me a schedule for pain meds and trust me while you are in the hospital stay on it ! I was up in my chair as soon as I could in the morning and went for a walk as soon as I could. Trust me .. start sipping your Water early !! it doesn't go down as fast as you are used to . Sunday was a repeat of Saturday , ohhh did I forget to mention that I was able to order fluids from dietary ... vegetable broth never tasted so good , along with sugar free frozen lemon ice . The actual scope holes for the bypass are no problem ~~ Very little to no pain maybe the best way to describe it is discomfort. The incision and scope holes from were they had to "work on "getting my band out, now that is another story . That is the ONLY reason I am still taking the liquid pain medicine. This area feels like there is a burning pulling pain and extremely swollen , lol it almost looks like a second stomach . Each day is getting better . I use an ice pack to the area also that helps . It is now one week post op and I am trying to only take the pain meds at night for sleep and have started back to work remotely . I am walking around the house and in the back yard. Tomorrow I am going to attempt the grocery store . I also get to start the pureed diet tomorrow . Actually pretty excited to move to that . I am working on 2 1/2 - 2 water bottles a day , my water bottle is 28 oz . from the time I get in in the morning I start sipping . And the funny thing is, I am not hungry ! food smells good and looks good but still no desire to actually eat anything ,so tomorrow will be starting a new era.

Congratulations and let us know if we can be of any help.

I need to read more carefully...I read "I use an ice pick" in that area. :o

Glad things are going well...I am nervous and excited and looking forward to my surgery on the 29th! Keep posting, please!

Thank you for sharing I have to have the band removed too. Did they see the severity when you had the endoscopy. I see my dr on Monday to get surgery date. I am scared and excited. Mostly scared. I guess thats normal. Good health to you.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

Having had my band and port removed, the thing I would watch for is a hernia. I developed a hernia from the port site, and had a second surgery to fix it, and its back. I am revising to bypass, so once my weight goes down, the surgeon will repair the hernia, hopefully for the last time! Hope you are feeling well!

Hi! My name is Tammy and I am scheduled for my revision on October 5th. I am really excited and ready to get this excess weight off and gone for good. I could not tolerate Fluid in my band over 3ccs without vomiting. I have had the band since 2011, but have gained back all my weight and then some when they had to remove the Fluid.< /p>

Any advice on what to expect, what to do, not to do would be greatly appreciated. I start my 3 week pre-op liquid diet on September 14th. This will feel like the longest month I'm sure.

Thanks in advance!

I just had band to bypass on Monday including a hiatal hernia fix. Where they took out the port is what hurts the most (the good news is the other incisions hardly hurt at all in comparison.) just be mentally prepared for the pain. I wasn't. Evidently the port is attached to muscle and they have to work it out (mine had been in 11 years, so more than you). I feel like I've been hit by a truck. The first day was awful - stay up on your pain meds. Every day is better.

I know that's hard to hear, but it's better to be prepared

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate them. I'm ready for the pain. I had my gallbladder removed last year and the incision where my port is and where they took the gallbladder out was horrible. I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck. Ice packs were a blessing. Looking forward to sharing the journey with everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hi Tammy and Shir, I'm scheduled for October 4 for mine. I'm 3 days in to the liquid diet and battling a cold. Really hoping and praying I get over this cold fast so it doesn't interfere with my surgery date!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Travelher

Oh man I'm allowed veggies and bouillon that's it. I'd kill for a bit of olive oil right now. The worst is cooking for the family...the smells...torture

On top of the Protein shakes