Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not yet had my surgery but am so curious about the ghrelin hormone and how it affects everyone having most taken out.

Does anyone have the same cravings they used to before surgery? It's so exciting to read some people on here don't have those sugar cravings like they used to!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

so for me, the first two weeks were HARD. I would expect you still have ghrelin in your system. I almost had to smack a teenager who kept coming to sit by me when she snacked.

BUT after that, and when I was on soft foods, it was not a problem, and at least so far I have not had much in the way of cravings - and eat according to plan. learning to eat s l o w l y and stop before I am full have been the only real challenges.

I still get cravings for "bad" foods even at 20 months post-op. But they are much more easily handled now than they were pre-op. Ghrelin has nothing to do with cravings. It has to do with signals of hunger. Cravings are all in your head and they won't go away on their own. However, because your whole relationship with food changes post-op, the way you think about food will have to change as well. And that can help diminish or eliminate cravings.

For me after post op I didn't have any cravings or hunger. I was focused on sip sip sipping Fluid and Protein Shakes all day and then after that; learning to eat again. Tiny slow bites. By that time I hadn't had any refined sugars in weeks and sugar is what triggers my cravings so I didn't have any cravings or hunger for about 10 months when I ate some sugar. I had lost the majority of my weight at that point so I was learning and testing the waters of the next phase... Maintenance!!

I am almost two years post op and I do have cravings, and some hunger. I just know that for me as long as I keep my carb count low then the cravings are almost non existent. However, I do have periods where I eat treats and then just get right back on my plan. With weight loss surgery it seems like it is a little easier to get back on track. I agree with JamieLogical that it is the huge change in the food relationship that makes the most difference. Not to sugar coat it, for me I do have to have constant vigilance.

Thanks for responses it so interesting and helps prepare you to get your head in right space starting the process of WLS. My biggest thing is after all day doing for my family (which as a stay at home mom) which truly never ends. So late night when I finally get to sit down and watch a little TV when everyone is asleep, I crave the carb-sugar foods as my reward to myself. It's my comfort and weakness and will be hard to stop but I know I have to figure out a different way to reward my self late night after long day!

Once you start eating fewer carbs - your cravings should diminish some. When you are eating meals high in Protein - you will also experience less cravings. I have been doing a high protein low carb diet pre-surgery and have already noticed less cravings. I do still have issues with breaking habits though. Just about every night I feel like I need celery and sour cream dip. I can't really call it a craving and I've been trying to associate an emotion to it but can't. It's just "habit" - an hour after dinner I have to have it. I'm working on it with a psychologist.

KristenLe

That's is so interesting and too me sounds like a healthy snack compared my late night snacking. Can't wait to stop the cycle of carbs/sugar. But I gotta figure out (maybe w psychologist as well) why I have to have a reward at night. We all know it's not hunger.

Wonder post op, I've heard u have to stop eating a certain amount of time before bed!?