Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalled out and GAINING!

Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to get a word of encouragment to get myself motivated again! I've stalled out and am gaining! Almost 3 years ago I had the lapband with plication and lost 120lbs. I was very active, walking 4 miles a day. My band was very tight, and although I didn't count calories, I don't think I took in that many. I threw up every day--multiple times.

I would have fill taken out, then put back in. Seems like I never got into the Green Zone. Well, last July I took a full time job, which is a sedentary job---yep, no time in my schedule now for a 4 miles walk everyday. Plus I'd had some fill taken out because I just couldn't throw up anymore. So, I've gained over the last six months 20 pounds. I think about my weight every day, just like I did before surgery. I"m so sick of it.

I"m going to start using myfitnesspal and try to keep my calories at 1200 per day. Part of me thinks that where my band was so tight for so long, and I didn't take in many calories that even at 1200 per day, I'll continue to gain. I have been walking every day, but only have time for about 30 minutess. I"m thinking of pulling out my old Jane Fonda workout and trying it. I"ve thought about T25, but have a knee that troubles me. Anyone know much about that exercise program?

I"m a mess and could use some encouragement and will offer the same to anyone else!

Thanks,

Scuffy

Don't have any experience with the lapband, but I do have trouble exercising due to pain in my back/hip. I bought a deskcycle stationary bike and I LOVE it. It cost less than $200, it fits under the table or a desk, and is super convenient to use when you're doing other stuff. You could even use it at work if you're brave enough... At night when I'm catching up on youtube videos I sit at the table and cycle for as long as I can stand it. Just an idea for getting more fitness in...

Sounds like maybe getting back to basics is the key! You said you walked before 4 miles, but maybe just starting with a 20 minute lunchtime walk at work and another 20 minutes after work you could get a couple miles in. Also, I think tracking your eating is a great idea because that's back to basics when you probably wrote down everything you ate... a lot of people really like My Fitness Pal. I have several friends who use it regularly. I'm more old fashioned and just use a paper and pen. I'm also thinking if you post this message on the LapBand message board you could get some insight... I had the sleeve so don't have a lot of experience with the workings of a LapBand. Good Luck to you! :)

Ok, normally I don't try to tell other people what is right and wrong, only my own experiences....

So I'm going to stick my neck out at the risk of loosing my head...

People throw up (regurgitate) with the band because they are eating wrong (majority of the time).....usually forcing it, trying to eat too much? Too large bites/swallows? The wrong texture/types of foods? Drinking while eating? A lot of things.....All the bad habits we picked up over a lifetime that made us fat, habits we need to break....

Example, I cannot eat pizza without a high risk of it getting stuck and coming back up...so I choose not to eat pizza anymore. A life changing event. And there have been many other changes.

So.....one could go get Fluid taken out of their band, and then they can eat what and how they choose and not be forced to change their behavior...the result being they begin to gain the weight back???

Not saying this is you....but this a scenario I read here all too often....

They say the band will change your life....sure, it will change when we become thin again in more ways one can imagine......BUT it will bring about change in the WAY we eat, WHAT we eat, and WHEN we eat....for Life! Our whole attitude will change....Or Not.

Someone once said to me years ago...the band will bring about change, if I LET IT!

Sorry to ramble, and again, not casting any stones at anyone in particular.

Edited by B-52

Buy a Fitbit!

It could change your life.

Truly.

I'm new to this forum. I' sorry you are having problems. I need help. I had the gastric bypass surgery in 2009. I weighed 315 lbs. I had lost down to 217 lbs. I am gaining weight. I now weigh 242 lbs. I had my surgery done at OHSU. I live in Eastern Oregon. There aren't any support groups here. The nearest support group is two to four hours away. I can't afford the gas. I know I need to get back on track. I'm afraid I have stretched out my stomach and ruined my surgery. That is my biggest fear. Please help!!!

My doctor told me it is really hard to stretch out your stomach. He said it will stretch out but usually not a huge amount. He said the weight gain is usually what you are eating and how often you are eating. Go back to the basics. There is a "5 day pouch test" you can do, it is supposed to kick start you again. Good Luck! You can do this!