Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relationship with Food After Surgery

I hear a lot of comments about how after surgery folks have changed their relationship with food. I understand how the immediate weeks after surgery are different, but I'm wondering about long term. From the time your doctor gave you the go ahead to eat what you want? Some folks say that items they used to like they don't anymore. And other say that they don't think about food any more, while other say they still do. Have you taste buds changed or is it psychological along with the psychical changes.

My taste buds didn't change and I often still want to eat the same bad things. For me, it's still work to make healthy choices. But I do feel like I'm baby stepping my way to a healthier lifestyle.

The main thing that has changed for me is that I am really "all in" on this "Protein first" concept. Anytime I eat something that was one of my old favorites (pizza, ice cream, nachos, Cookies, etc.) I am HYPER aware that by eating that thing, I won't have enough room for the Protein i need. I still do and have eaten those things on occasion, but it's very rare now and, like I said, I am very aware of what it costs me now.

The other thing I am getting better at every day, is knowing how much I can eat without getting overfull. I was always a binge eater, so this has been quite an adjustment for me, but I am definitely improving!

I think some people have changes in their taste. I no longer care about pizza or Pasta dishes and I cannot eat rice . I have developed a taste for hot and spicy where before I never ate it. I still love some bad stuff like Ice Cream and anything with sugar.. sugar is my "crack". I try my best to stay away from it. Don't know if I will ever lose my love of sugar and ice cream.

I noticed is that the thought of Pasta, bread and rice bring an image of gooey paste in my mind. They told me that those things gum up and can get stuck easily in the beginning. So that image is very vivid in my mind. I still have a few bites of Pasta with veggies every once in a while. But I stop when I think about it.

I don't crave cheeseburgers, pizza, nachos much anymore. I might have a little bite of the topping of a pizza or a bite of a cheeseburger without the bread. But one bite is enough to realize its not healthy for me and it doesn't taste as good as I remember it once did.

I honestly crave veggies now. When I am asked to go out to dinner I start thinking about what kind of roasted veggies I can get. I think that eating healthy for so long now has actually made me start craving healthy over the unhealthy way I used to eat.

My taste haven't really changed. i think the only thing that has changed for me is my portion size. I was on a journey to health before I decided on surgery so the foods I eat are pretty much the sames ones I ate then.

We broke up. I love people now and I let people love me.

My relationship with food is much friendlier than it used to be. We had a bit of a love-hate relationship before in that I really liked eating, but I really hated the fact that doing so made me fat. Kind of like in that Austin Powers movie..I eat because I'm sad and I'm sad because I eat...or something along those lines. Not to blame my parents, who are wonderful people, but we had a strict "clean your plate" policy, so I always felt guilty about wasting food. As a result, I never wanted food to go to waste, so I would eat it, and then I would end up eating everything in the house. Food taunted me.

Now though, I can eat a few bites of whatever I want and because I physically cannot clear my plate, so to speak, there is no longer the urge to do so. If I want to have a bit or two of pie, then I do that, and unlike before, I don't have any really interest in finishing the pie later. The fact that nothing is off limits anymore purely for the sake of being on a diet has been freeing.

That being said, it is also probably helpful that my sleeve is a bit of a B. She just does not like food at all, especially the good stuff. So, I have been classically conditioned to understand that I can enjoy literally maybe two bites of rich food and that is it, or I will spend the next 20 minutes barfing, panting, and having hot flashes. So, this again reinforces the idea that I can eat what I want in teeny tiny portions and there is no need to keep eating, or ultimately I will be miserable.

In terms of taste, I have always had a sweet tooth and I still do, but unfortunately sugars also tend to make me sick and I just generally don't eat them often anymore. I went through a phase where I craved steak...I never cared much about meat before. I was hardly a vegetarian, but it just wasn't my first choice of food. I had this one steak dish probably everyday for about a month.

Right now I am 16 months out and I feel like my relationship with food is like an old boyfriend that I care less and less about as time goes on. First, I really missed him, then I tried to replace him, then I mourned him and my inability to find a suitable replacement, and now, eh, I can take him or leave him. I eat when I'm hungry, but I don't really enjoy food in the same voracious capacity as I used to.

Hope that gives you a little insight...

This is all help information. I have my first consultation next with a surgeon. I'm not worried about the surgery, or the recovery. My main concern is life in general after the surgery. What to expect. Will I regret it? Not be able to get with the new eating habits. I've already cut out sugars, eat low carb, drink lots of Water. Yet was unable to lose the weight. Lack of exercise was my biggest problem. But weighing nearly 300lbs and working full time left me exhausted. I just don't want to regret anything.

@@Hoven - I was over 400 when I was sleeved. The one thing that made a difference for me was exercise. You have to fit it in, even if it just 15 minutes a day.

That said, I don't regret this for one single second!

@@BLERDgirl I agree. I know that has been an issue. I used to have a very long commute. 3-5 hours a day round trip. I took another job to get out of that commute. I won't ever do that again. I am currently working on increasing my exercise. I have my first meeting with a surgeon Thursday.

Hi there, I'm Katie from London I'm a year post op and I was just trying to find some people to talk to about the surgery I had (gastric sleeve) and seeing how other people are getting on

Hi Katie from London. I'm only 2 mo out but coming along. I don't crave anything sweet, thankfully, but I do crave a grilled cheeseburger (and a pickle!), though not the bun. I'm not exercising much yet due to an ongoing unrelated illness, but I am looking forward to it when I can. @@katiejm how are you doing one year out? How has the journey been for you?

Hi Katie. I'm tara ... I'm a 7 months post op. I was over 300 lbs prior to surgery my surgery was in 9/24/14

I weighed 272. I'm currently. 182. I'm in regular sized clothing. It feel so awesome and energetic etc

I don't regret my decision one bit. Best decision to date. If u have questions I'll be as helpful as u can to answer anything I can

aquino_tara@rocketmail.com

Good luck